Want to see what Linux looks like? Screenshots here.

John Corliss

jimnluna said:
please put this in linuxx group....

Linux is freeware and this group is named alt.comp.freeware. Many
people in this group are interested in migrating to Linux and would
not otherwise see the post if it were sent to a Linux group only.

If you're hoping to rid this group of all references to Linux, you're
pissing in the wind.

Doc

If you're hoping to rid this group of all references to Linux, you're
pissing in the wind.

And Confucious say .... "Man who piss into wind, piss on himself."

Richard Steven Hack

Actually this shows what a Linux desktop CAN look like IF you are
clever enough to put one together like that!

So far I'm just using the default Red Hat KDE desktop which is a lot
more boring. I really wish I was far enough along in Linux use to
have cool stuff like transparent windows and menus and all sorts of
stuff.

You can really make a beautiful desktop with Linux if you try.
There's an incredible amount of tweaking available.

Great site, John, thanks for pointing it out.

John Corliss

Richard said:
Actually this shows what a Linux desktop CAN look like IF you are
clever enough to put one together like that!
So far I'm just using the default Red Hat KDE desktop which is a lot
more boring. I really wish I was far enough along in Linux use to
have cool stuff like transparent windows and menus and all sorts of
stuff.
You can really make a beautiful desktop with Linux if you try.
There's an incredible amount of tweaking available.
Great site, John, thanks for pointing it out.

For those who are curious, KDE ("K Desktop Environment") screenshots
are here:

http://www.kde.org/screenshots/

The first thing I always do when running Knoppix (which is based on
Debian and uses the KDE ver. 3.1 desktop) is to reduce the height of
the taskbar. That's easily done.

Chaos Master

Hey Richard Steven Hack ([email protected])! You wrote in message
at group alt.comp.freeware said:
Actually this shows what a Linux desktop CAN look like IF you are
clever enough to put one together like that!

The same can be done with Windows. I have made, in the past, great-looking
desktops with LiteStep/BlackBox for Windows. Nothing beats being bored.

If you know a little Portuguese (or use a translator program), see the
screenshot page at 'http://www.rootlinux.com.br' . Some quite impressive Linux
screenshots.

[]s

Richard Steven Hack

For those who are curious, KDE ("K Desktop Environment") screenshots
are here:

http://www.kde.org/screenshots/

There were three really FUN shots at the lynucs site.

One had the Windows XP logo butterfly flying around with Tux the
Penguin in the right lower corner with a fly swatter and an evil
expression on his face.

The next had him with fly swatter, a grin and a dead butterfly.

Another had the butterfly crashed and burning on the green Windows XP
landscape with Tux in the corner with a helmet and a missile launcher.

I've GOTTA get those pictures in their original form!