want to rebuild/upgrade my pc please help!

Reaction score
ok i have a dell dimension 8200 and i bought it in 2001 i believe i want to start upgrading it. make it faster more memory make it better for media and also for my work. i just don't know where to start i've read things about the motherboard and things like that. can anyone help me out like maybe give some sort of outline on where to start and stuff. i'm not a genius but i like to do things myself and learn while i'm doing it. i also wanted to change the usb to a 2.0

anyway if anyone would be willing to help it would be greatly appreciated!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
first up Hi
happywave.gif

next thing we'll need to know is the system spec

also, what is the main use going to be ? office work ? if you could explain that a bit more it will make it easier for us to help you

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
That Dell usually came with a Intel P4 CPU around 2GHz - to be honest for a decent upgrade you are going to need just about everything except maybe a case, so I would look at building a completely new system.

What sort of budget do you have available?

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
first up Hi
happywave.gif

next thing we'll need to know is the system spec

also, what is the main use going to be ? office work ? if you could explain that a bit more it will make it easier for us to help you
ok i am going to be using it at home i usually use my pc for my hobby's and fun stuff like photography scrapbooking music games things like that but i will start using it for work which will just consist of things like me keeping track of and storing files, typing up paperwork things like that. i will need alot of storage and speed. i would like a really good cd dvd player/burner but don't know which is good i think i need a new video card well thats what someone mentioned to me before anyway, anything else that you guys would need to know? ;0) thanks i really appreciate it

P.S. i don't know what you mean by system spec?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
That Dell usually came with a Intel P4 CPU around 2GHz - to be honest for a decent upgrade you are going to need just about everything except maybe a case, so I would look at building a completely new system.

What sort of budget do you have available?

i'm not really on a budget but i don't want to go spending $800 for one little part unless its absolutely neccessary you know ;0)

i don't mind building a whole new system should be fun lol

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ady is correct, and I would go as far and say even the case would be no good for any new 'kit' you buy. A hell of a lot has changed in those years. ;)

You would, I'm afraid to say, be better off buying a new system. :thumb:

Welcome to the forums. :D

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Ady is correct, and I would go as far and say even the case would be no good for any new 'kit' you buy. A hell of a lot has changed in those years. ;)

You would, I'm afraid to say, be better off buying a new system. :thumb:

Welcome to the forums. :D

really?! i was thinking of buying a new one but was wonderin if upgrading it myself would be better but if you guys think buying one is best then which one would be best for what i want it for?

Reaction score
What would you like in your new or upgraded pc?
That way if we know what you want we may be able to guide you better.:thumb:

Reaction score
I'd always recommend building a new one from scratch, your 2001 Dell will probably be so far out of date now that upgrading would more than likely prove pointless and difficult.

Choice wise for what you've said you would use your PC for there's a whole heap of goodies out there that would fill the need, in all honesty it comes down to budget.

If you want to learn then a self build is always great and there's bargains galore out there to be had.

Reaction score
well i dont know i hav a computer here wich is allmost 30 years old i think well it ran windows 98 2 weeks and 1200 punds later i had it runin xp and in toptip condish and able to run most fast games woop woop:)

Ask a Question