Wag54gs and Advent 3207

G

Help

I have just bought Linksys Wag54gs adsl gateway plus i have advent 3207 with
currently conexant softk56 modem through tiscali broadband. I have two new
lap tops upstairs with wireless connection but I am struggling to connect Pc
to broadband.

Modem was connected to Pc through Usb connection.

Struggling to set up router. Keeps saying it is not recognised. Is the set
up a case of connecting router to phone line, no longer require modem but how
do I connect it to my PC. No ethernet connection in back of advent only
telephone line connection.

Need some assistance to set network up. Is it a problem with PC or I am
doing something silly

Cheers

Dennis JUbb

Reaction score
you may need to open your PC up for surgery!

Hi Dennis,

What broadband provider do you use (AOL, BT, Wanadoo, Tesco......!?) I might be able to help with modem settings, and then the wireless settings. I've just come in from setting up a WAG54GS with exactly the same kind of arrangement as yours! Even if you use AOL - don't worry, it does work!It sounds like you might need a few more bits of kit, though...

You could program the router's modem and wireless access point with one of the laptops if one of them has an ethernet socket (there's probably a blue ethernet cable in the router's box) and then, if the laptops have built in wireless adaptors, or you have got adaptors (cardbus or USB, for example) for them they will be able to go through the programmed router to get on the internet. If you get the 'internet' LED to light up, you're half way there! You do plug the router into the phone line - the wag54gs has a built in broadband ADSL modem but it needs to be programmed to connect to your broadband account, then it stays on and you just connect through it, either wirelessly or with an ethernet cable from the PC to one of the 4 ethernet sockets on the back of the router.

As for the desktop - you'll need a PCI ethernet card (you should have a spare slot inside) to connect to the router by wire or a PCI wifi card to connect to it wirelessly.

If you need more help, just reply.

Reaction score
a bit more...

To help you with my previous post...

To see an example of the equipment I mentioned, search for these codes at www.ebuyer.com

D-Link PCI ethernet card: 43684
Linksys PCI wireless 54g card: 45602 (this is a standard 54g 54Mbits/sec card). If your router is the speedbooster one, and you choose to link your desktop PC wirelessly, to use the turbo mode, you'll need this one: 63762

Ask a Question