W98se \ XP Home / Asus A7V8x-x / USB 2.0

R

RJK

I've just had a chap bring his system box to me to have an extra 256mb ddr added and XP Home installed. All was lovely except for his hd LED connector was on the wrong pin header, I popped that onto the correct pins without even looking at the manual that he hadn't brought with him because Asus seem to have a habit of putting the hd led pins a short distance away from the block of pins for the front panel. And I got it the right way round first time :) ....mmm I built that box ....I wonder how that LED ended up connected to the wrong pins ? ...I digress ........After moving a few of odds and ends from his 8 gb d:\ drive, (40gb hd)into 5x8gb drives), "we" installed XP Home onto his d:\ drive, for dual boot with W98se on his c:\ drive, and all was lovely - drivers went in for everything, ...well almost everything.

First sign of a problem was when I plugged my digital camera into a front panel USB plug hole and got a pop out balloon from the system tray acknowledging that a USB device had been detected and then very shortly after that, another one saying that it had failed. I plugged my camera into one of the rear (ATX block) USB sockets and it was okay. Mass storage device detected / next available drive letter was assigned etc.

When I checked the hardware tree in device manager only four items were listed for USB. i.e. the USB enhanced host controller, and its' corresponding USB root hub were not there. "Shit," was what I thought because this board was a bitch with W98se regarding USB2.0 drivers two years ago, I had to search for ages and fight the machine bloody hard to get those four files that make up the USB 2.0 driver stack installed into W98se. (I haven't used Asus for ages because of this very issue).

There we were, with a new copy of XP Home installed and no bloody USB 2.0 driver installed. I though that surely SP1 would have been slipstreamed into his new copy of XP Home, mine was SP1.

I haven't dug out the manual for that A7V8x-x board from Asus yet but, I seem to remember that the rear USB sockets were only 1.0/1.1 and USB 2.0 was on a pin header that got connected to the case front panel, unlike most boards that can have anything plugged into USB.

Legacy USB support in bios is switched off, that shouldn't make any difference should it ? So does anyone have any knowledge of this bloody board and USB 2.0 drivers for XP Home ?

A year or two ago when I did this system box with W98se in it, it turned out to be the case that Asus had not provided drivers for USB 2.0, and/or had not configured something like an *inf file properly somewhere so that the bloody things would get installed properly from SP1, from MS, that should have had the USB 2.0 driver stack in it (sp1) ...in any event scouring the motherboard cd-rom disk at that time revealed a stupid message from Asus that there was a dispute over the USB 2.0 driver stack, and MS would not allow mootherboard manufacturers to distribute it, and so, (the Asus readme said), USB 2.0 drivers are included with XP sp1 ..or something like that. Most other boards don't seem to cause trouble with those USB2.0 drivers in XP !

Any help would be appreciated. ...am I missing something simple, somewhere, besides a brain ?

regards, Richard

G

Glen

check your pin connections to the motherboard. I just went through the same thing with a front set of USB ports.
the connectors were just a bunch of individual pins and I crossed the data+ pins.
Hope this helps.
I've just had a chap bring his system box to me to have an extra 256mb ddr added and XP Home installed. All was lovely except for his hd LED connector was on the wrong pin header, I popped that onto the correct pins without even looking at the manual that he hadn't brought with him because Asus seem to have a habit of putting the hd led pins a short distance away from the block of pins for the front panel. And I got it the right way round first time :) ....mmm I built that box ....I wonder how that LED ended up connected to the wrong pins ? ...I digress ........After moving a few of odds and ends from his 8 gb d:\ drive, (40gb hd)into 5x8gb drives), "we" installed XP Home onto his d:\ drive, for dual boot with W98se on his c:\ drive, and all was lovely - drivers went in for everything, ...well almost everything.

First sign of a problem was when I plugged my digital camera into a front panel USB plug hole and got a pop out balloon from the system tray acknowledging that a USB device had been detected and then very shortly after that, another one saying that it had failed. I plugged my camera into one of the rear (ATX block) USB sockets and it was okay. Mass storage device detected / next available drive letter was assigned etc.

When I checked the hardware tree in device manager only four items were listed for USB. i.e. the USB enhanced host controller, and its' corresponding USB root hub were not there. "Shit," was what I thought because this board was a bitch with W98se regarding USB2.0 drivers two years ago, I had to search for ages and fight the machine bloody hard to get those four files that make up the USB 2.0 driver stack installed into W98se. (I haven't used Asus for ages because of this very issue).

There we were, with a new copy of XP Home installed and no bloody USB 2.0 driver installed. I though that surely SP1 would have been slipstreamed into his new copy of XP Home, mine was SP1.

I haven't dug out the manual for that A7V8x-x board from Asus yet but, I seem to remember that the rear USB sockets were only 1.0/1.1 and USB 2.0 was on a pin header that got connected to the case front panel, unlike most boards that can have anything plugged into USB.

Legacy USB support in bios is switched off, that shouldn't make any difference should it ? So does anyone have any knowledge of this bloody board and USB 2.0 drivers for XP Home ?

A year or two ago when I did this system box with W98se in it, it turned out to be the case that Asus had not provided drivers for USB 2.0, and/or had not configured something like an *inf file properly somewhere so that the bloody things would get installed properly from SP1, from MS, that should have had the USB 2.0 driver stack in it (sp1) ....in any event scouring the motherboard cd-rom disk at that time revealed a stupid message from Asus that there was a dispute over the USB 2.0 driver stack, and MS would not allow mootherboard manufacturers to distribute it, and so, (the Asus readme said), USB 2.0 drivers are included with XP sp1 ..or something like that. Most other boards don't seem to cause trouble with those USB2.0 drivers in XP !

Any help would be appreciated. ...am I missing something simple, somewhere, besides a brain ?

regards, Richard

M

MGGP

It seems to me that I had a similar problem on an ASUS
motherboard about two years ago. I flashed the BIOS
and . . . like magic . . . the problem was solved.

I think there should be a USB 2.0 switch in the BIOS too.
If not, flash the BIOS to the latest rev.

Worth a try . . .

Good Luck !
-----Original Message-----
I've just had a chap bring his system box to me to have
an extra 256mb ddr added and XP Home installed. All was
lovely except for his hd LED connector was on the wrong
pin header, I popped that onto the correct pins without
even looking at the manual that he hadn't brought with him
because Asus seem to have a habit of putting the hd led
pins a short distance away from the block of pins for the
front panel. And I got it the right way round first
time :) ....mmm I built that box ....I wonder how that
LED ended up connected to the wrong pins ? ...I
digress ........After moving a few of odds and ends from
his 8 gb d:\ drive, (40gb hd)into 5x8gb drives), "we"
installed XP Home onto his d:\ drive, for dual boot with
W98se on his c:\ drive, and all was lovely - drivers went
in for everything, ...well almost everything.
First sign of a problem was when I plugged my digital
camera into a front panel USB plug hole and got a pop out
balloon from the system tray acknowledging that a USB
device had been detected and then very shortly after that,
another one saying that it had failed. I plugged my
camera into one of the rear (ATX block) USB sockets and it
was okay. Mass storage device detected / next available
drive letter was assigned etc.
When I checked the hardware tree in device manager only
four items were listed for USB. i.e. the USB enhanced
host controller, and its' corresponding USB root hub were
not there. "Shit," was what I thought because this board
was a bitch with W98se regarding USB2.0 drivers two years
ago, I had to search for ages and fight the machine bloody
hard to get those four files that make up the USB 2.0
driver stack installed into W98se. (I haven't used Asus
for ages because of this very issue).
There we were, with a new copy of XP Home installed and
no bloody USB 2.0 driver installed. I though that surely
SP1 would have been slipstreamed into his new copy of XP
Home, mine was SP1.
I haven't dug out the manual for that A7V8x-x board from
Asus yet but, I seem to remember that the rear USB sockets
were only 1.0/1.1 and USB 2.0 was on a pin header that got
connected to the case front panel, unlike most boards that
can have anything plugged into USB.
Legacy USB support in bios is switched off, that
shouldn't make any difference should it ? So does anyone
have any knowledge of this bloody board and USB 2.0
drivers for XP Home ?
A year or two ago when I did this system box with W98se
in it, it turned out to be the case that Asus had not
provided drivers for USB 2.0, and/or had not configured
something like an *inf file properly somewhere so that the
bloody things would get installed properly from SP1, from
MS, that should have had the USB 2.0 driver stack in it
(sp1) ...in any event scouring the motherboard cd-rom
disk at that time revealed a stupid message from Asus
that there was a dispute over the USB 2.0 driver stack,
and MS would not allow mootherboard manufacturers to
distribute it, and so, (the Asus readme said), USB 2.0
drivers are included with XP sp1 ..or something like
that. Most other boards don't seem to cause trouble with
those USB2.0 drivers in XP !
Any help would be appreciated. ...am I missing
something simple, somewhere, besides a brain ?

G

It should still show up in Device Manager, whether the
connector is on backwards or not . . .
-----Original Message-----
check your pin connections to the motherboard. I just
went through the same thing with a front set of USB ports.
the connectors were just a bunch of individual pins and I crossed the data+ pins.
Hope this helps.
I've just had a chap bring his system box to me to have
an extra 256mb ddr added and XP Home installed. All was
lovely except for his hd LED connector was on the wrong
pin header, I popped that onto the correct pins without
even looking at the manual that he hadn't brought with him
because Asus seem to have a habit of putting the hd led
pins a short distance away from the block of pins for the
front panel. And I got it the right way round first
time :) ....mmm I built that box ....I wonder how that
LED ended up connected to the wrong pins ? ...I
digress ........After moving a few of odds and ends from
his 8 gb d:\ drive, (40gb hd)into 5x8gb drives), "we"
installed XP Home onto his d:\ drive, for dual boot with
W98se on his c:\ drive, and all was lovely - drivers went
in for everything, ...well almost everything.
First sign of a problem was when I plugged my digital
camera into a front panel USB plug hole and got a pop out
balloon from the system tray acknowledging that a USB
device had been detected and then very shortly after that,
another one saying that it had failed. I plugged my
camera into one of the rear (ATX block) USB sockets and it
was okay. Mass storage device detected / next available
drive letter was assigned etc.
When I checked the hardware tree in device manager only
four items were listed for USB. i.e. the USB enhanced
host controller, and its' corresponding USB root hub were
not there. "Shit," was what I thought because this board
was a bitch with W98se regarding USB2.0 drivers two years
ago, I had to search for ages and fight the machine bloody
hard to get those four files that make up the USB 2.0
driver stack installed into W98se. (I haven't used Asus
for ages because of this very issue).
There we were, with a new copy of XP Home installed and
no bloody USB 2.0 driver installed. I though that surely
SP1 would have been slipstreamed into his new copy of XP
Home, mine was SP1.
I haven't dug out the manual for that A7V8x-x board
from Asus yet but, I seem to remember that the rear USB
sockets were only 1.0/1.1 and USB 2.0 was on a pin header
that got connected to the case front panel, unlike most
boards that can have anything plugged into USB.
Legacy USB support in bios is switched off, that
shouldn't make any difference should it ? So does anyone
have any knowledge of this bloody board and USB 2.0
drivers for XP Home ?
A year or two ago when I did this system box with W98se
in it, it turned out to be the case that Asus had not
provided drivers for USB 2.0, and/or had not configured
something like an *inf file properly somewhere so that the
bloody things would get installed properly from SP1, from
MS, that should have had the USB 2.0 driver stack in it
(sp1) ....in any event scouring the motherboard cd-rom
disk at that time revealed a stupid message from Asus
that there was a dispute over the USB 2.0 driver stack,
and MS would not allow mootherboard manufacturers to
distribute it, and so, (the Asus readme said), USB 2.0
drivers are included with XP sp1 ..or something like
that. Most other boards don't seem to cause trouble with
those USB2.0 drivers in XP !
Any help would be appreciated. ...am I missing
something simple, somewhere, besides a brain ?

R

RJK

Thanx Glen, anonymous, and MGGP

Y'all hit on at least two things that were niggling at me, while the box was here. I'm pretty sure that the data + and - pins for the USB front panel are plugged on to the pin header the right way round. Going from memory:-
++ 5v+
-- Data -
++ Data +
-- 5v-

I took great care over that at the time, in order to not blow anything up with 5 volts in the wrong place.

I looked again and again at the bios screens, and the one and only setting in there for USB 2.0 was for USB Legacy support, so, as you suggest, it could be worth flashing the bios.

thanx again.

regards, Richard

A year or two ago when I did this system box with W98se in it, it turned out to be the case that Asus had not provided drivers for USB 2.0, and/or had not configured something like an *inf file properly somewhere so that the bloody things would get installed properly from SP1, from MS, that should have had the USB 2.0 driver stack in it (sp1) ....in any event scouring the motherboard cd-rom disk at that time revealed a stupid message from Asus that there was a dispute over the USB 2.0 driver stack, and MS would not allow mootherboard manufacturers to distribute it, and so, (the Asus readme said), USB 2.0 drivers are included with XP sp1 ..or something like that. Most other boards don't seem to cause trouble with those USB2.0 drivers in XP !

regards, Richard

Ask a Question