w2k & wxp can ping each other, but wxp cannot see w2k

G

Hi all
I need some help on my home network. I have 1 w2k server box, 1 wxp home box, 1 wxp professional box and a lap top of wxp professional. All configured in workgroup and connected to a cable modem and wireless router. All wxp boxes can see each other and can share all resources. The w2k box can see all other 3 wxp boxes, but no wxp box can see the w2k box. From my laptop, I can ping the w2k box by the ip address: 192.168.1.xxx as well as by name: w2ksrv. However, I cannot see the w2ksrv box, nor can I access the shared folder on the w2k box
What do I have to do to solve this mystery
Thanks.

G

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the W2K box.
Make sure there is only the tCP/IP protocol installed (or if others, check binding orders to
make sure TCP/IP is first.
Install/Enable File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks on the W2K box.
Disable any firewall service on the w2k box that could be preventing access, such as Zone
Alarm.

The above should resolve your issue.

Thanks,
Gary

--------------------
'--'Thread-Topic: w2k & wxp can ping each other, but wxp cannot see w2k
'--'thread-index: AcQdia83BQ5qmlqYTAKKFMEva/xe2g==
'--'X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'From: =?Utf-8?B?c2FtdGhlbWFu?= <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: w2k & wxp can ping each other, but wxp cannot see w2k
'--'Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:51:06 -0700
'--'Lines: 4
'--'Message-ID: <[email protected]>
'--'MIME-Version: 1.0
'--'Content-Type: text/plain;
'--' charset="Utf-8"
'--'Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
'--'X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
'--'Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
'--'Importance: normal
'--'Priority: normal
'--'X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.0
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'Path: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
'--'Xref: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl microsoft.public.win2000.networking:60400
'--'NNTP-Posting-Host: tk2msftcmty1.phx.gbl 10.40.1.180
'--'X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'
'--'Hi all

I need some help on my home network. I have 1 w2k server box, 1 wxp home box, 1 wxp
professional box and a lap top of wxp professional. All configured in workgroup and
connected to a cable modem and wireless router. All wxp boxes can see each other and can
share all resources. The w2k box can see all other 3 wxp boxes, but no wxp box can see the
w2k box. From my laptop, I can ping the w2k box by the ip address: 192.168.1.xxx as well as by
name: w2ksrv. However, I cannot see the w2ksrv box, nor can I access the shared folder on
the w2k box

What do I have to do to solve this mystery

Thanks.
'--'

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Ask a Question