VPN with one NIC

Jordan

Is it possible to configure 2003 server to act as a VPN server with only one
NIC. I have a firewall that is able to forward ports to the server. Is
there a white paper from MS?

Sandeep Rikhi [MSFT]

I do not have a pointer to any white paper on this but I can tell you how it
can be made to work.

While configuring RRAS, use custom configuration and select VPN (and LAN
routing if required). Now consider the interface called "internal" as
private interface (for getting DHCP addresses, intranet access etc) and the
Ethernet NIC as public (to accept VPN connections).

Let us know if does not help.

ddemland

I have been successful with one NIC, but I have not be able to get the
user to see more than just the Windows 2000 VPN server. None of the
other resources can be used. They can be seen but not accessed.

ddemland

Manjari Bonam [MSFT]

Does the user have the privileges to access the other sources?
What is the error you get when you try to access the resources?

Thanks,
Manjari.

Nathan Spear

Manjari,

Can you give more detail on how to setup RRAS when treating the
"internal" as private and Ethernet NIC as public?

I am asked to setup RRAS on Windows Server 2003 with one interface.
The firewall was configured to allow ports 500 and 1701 to pass
through to the VPN servers one IP Address. I am unable to find
documentation as to how this needs be configured.

You help is appreciated.

Nathan

Bill Grant

If you only have one NIC, your Ethernet NIC is your private interface
and the firewall is your public interface (via the "internal" interface) .

Configure RRAS as a remote access server. Test the config by making a
VPN connection from a LAN client to the server's LAN IP.

When this works, forward tcp port 1723 from the firewall to the server's
IP. Now try to connect through the Internet to the firewall's public IP. The
connection will now be made to the RRAS server because of the port
forwarding.

If you get 721 errors, make sure that your firewall doe not block GRE
(IP protocol 47). This must be permitted in both directions.