VPN MTU Question

Our VPN clients keep losing connection so I want to try changing the MTU. Are
the registry settings the same for Windows 2000 as they are for XP? Do I need
to modify all the clients as well as the servers?

We are running mostly Windows 2000 clients with a few XP units in the mix.
RRAS is running on a Windows 2000 Server that also runs Exchange 2000 as well
as DHCP and DNS. We only have one other server that has the file shares as
well as SQL 7. This is also a Windows 2000 Server machine. Clients are using
either DSL or Cable. We have DSL at the server site.

Thank you for any help.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

It depends. Normally, you don't need to make change except you experience an issue. Also, if you have T1 line or cable modem you may not have the slow or drop issues because of MTU. In the many cases if you have DSL line, you may need to change the MTU. For how to change the MTU, check this web site,

How to change mtu VPN is very slow. To change the MTU Settings, select the the following options how to accordingly. ... How to modify the MTU Settings for VPN Connections ...
www.howtonetworking.com/VPN/mtu1.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Our VPN clients keep losing connection so I want to try changing the MTU. Are
the registry settings the same for Windows 2000 as they are for XP? Do I need
to modify all the clients as well as the servers?

We are running mostly Windows 2000 clients with a few XP units in the mix.
RRAS is running on a Windows 2000 Server that also runs Exchange 2000 as well
as DHCP and DNS. We only have one other server that has the file shares as
well as SQL 7. This is also a Windows 2000 Server machine. Clients are using
either DSL or Cable. We have DSL at the server site.

Thank you for any help.

Jason Tan

Dear Eddy,

Thanks for posting!

I understand that you want to change the MTU settings. If I have
misunderstood your concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my research, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows
2000, and Microsoft Windows XP use a fixed MTU size of 1400 bytes for all
VPN connections. This is the default setting for VPN clients and for VPN
servers that are running Routing and Remote Access. As to your questions,
please see the answer as following:

Q: Are the registry settings the same for Windows 2000 as they are for XP?
A: Yes.
Q: Do I need to modify all the clients as well as the servers?
A: Yes, you need to modify the registry key for all the clients as well as
the servers running RRAS.

For more detailed information, please refer to the following article:
826159 HOW TO: Change the Default Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) Size
Settings
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826159

Hope the information helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?RWRkeSAtIE1DU0U=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: VPN MTU Question
| Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:59:04 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing
|
| Our VPN clients keep losing connection so I want to try changing the MTU.
Are
| the registry settings the same for Windows 2000 as they are for XP? Do I
need
| to modify all the clients as well as the servers?
|
| We are running mostly Windows 2000 clients with a few XP units in the
mix.
| RRAS is running on a Windows 2000 Server that also runs Exchange 2000 as
well
| as DHCP and DNS. We only have one other server that has the file shares
as
| well as SQL 7. This is also a Windows 2000 Server machine. Clients are
using
| either DSL or Cable. We have DSL at the server site.
|
| Thank you for any help.
| --
| Eddy - MCSE

Thank you. Our VPN clients get disconnected frequently and I am hoping this
will help. I will let you know how it works out.

Jason Tan

Hi Eddy,

Thank you for your response. If you have any udpates, please feel free to
post back!

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?RWRkeSAtIE1DU0U=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: VPN MTU Question
| Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:47:05 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing
|
| Thank you. Our VPN clients get disconnected frequently and I am hoping
this
| will help. I will let you know how it works out.
|
| --
| Eddy - MCSE
|

| "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
|
| > Dear Eddy,
| >
| > Thanks for posting!
| >
| > I understand that you want to change the MTU settings. If I have
| > misunderstood your concerns, please feel free to let me know.
| >
| > Based on my research, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows
| > 2000, and Microsoft Windows XP use a fixed MTU size of 1400 bytes for
all
| > VPN connections. This is the default setting for VPN clients and for
VPN
| > servers that are running Routing and Remote Access. As to your
questions,
| > please see the answer as following:
| >
| > Q: Are the registry settings the same for Windows 2000 as they are for
XP?
| > A: Yes.
| > Q: Do I need to modify all the clients as well as the servers?
| > A: Yes, you need to modify the registry key for all the clients as well
as
| > the servers running RRAS.
| >
| > For more detailed information, please refer to the following article:
| > 826159 HOW TO: Change the Default Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) Size
| > Settings
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826159
| >
| > Hope the information helps.
| >
| > Best Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so

| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?RWRkeSAtIE1DU0U=?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: VPN MTU Question
| > | Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:59:04 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing
| > |
| > | Our VPN clients keep losing connection so I want to try changing the
MTU.
| > Are
| > | the registry settings the same for Windows 2000 as they are for XP?
Do I
| > need
| > | to modify all the clients as well as the servers?
| > |
| > | We are running mostly Windows 2000 clients with a few XP units in the
| > mix.
| > | RRAS is running on a Windows 2000 Server that also runs Exchange 2000
as
| > well
| > | as DHCP and DNS. We only have one other server that has the file
shares
| > as
| > | well as SQL 7. This is also a Windows 2000 Server machine. Clients
are
| > using
| > | either DSL or Cable. We have DSL at the server site.
| > |
| > | Thank you for any help.
| > | --
| > | Eddy - MCSE