Volume control panel is gone?

Reaction score
Okay today i was trying to tune me guitar and I noticed that the online tuner i had pulled up wasn't making any noise. So I went to youtube to watch a video, still no sound. I use an iHome dock as my speakers and it works fine, the cord works fine so none of that is the problem. Everything was fine earlier today but then suddenly nothing, no sound. So I went to make sure the volume wasn't turned down on the computer and I double-clicked the volume control panel to open it and I got following message: "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, then click Add Hardware. This program will now close." and then I clicked "OK" and the dialog box went away and no volume control panel came up. So I did what the box said to and discovered the mixer was disabled so I ran the Wizard to enable it, then Windows said "Windows has successfully enabled the hardware but it is still not functioning properly." What do I do?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
what kind of device is your sound card/chip? Check the manufacturer's website to download drivers. There is a chance that the driver could be corrupted.

If you go to Device Manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager) you can find the devices installed. What is shown under sound and video game controllers? Are there any other devices shown in the list?

Also, what version of Windows?

Ask a Question