Windows Vista Vista

Reaction score
Thought I would share my frustration with you guys. I am sure that by now most people own a copy of VISTA.

I got myself one and was installing last night on my computer. Since I formatted my hard drive I needed to load some driver. Most important one was my onboard video card driver. When I looked at device manger VISTA had loaded the 2006 driver for me, but I know my card needed the driver cause my screen only had 16 bit color and lowest resolution, and I couldn’t change the resolution.

When I went to Intel (my board manufacturer) website to download driver they had OS selection to choose so that you get the right driver. Well guess what? they didn’t have VISTA listed. SO I picked Windows XP (since I thought that is close). When I downloaded the driver and tried to install, VISTA tells me that system doesn’t support the driver. I will try to install pci card and see if that works.

My frustration is why should we have to buy a new pci card when I have an onboard card?

That is ridiculous. Anyway if anyone seems to run to same problem I would love to know.

Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've stuck with Windows XP for now (as have many people I know), simply because of problems like this. Although Intel and others have had beta and dev copies of Vista for months now, very few places have released Vista drivers :(

Hopefully in a few weeks Intel will release some updates for your graphics chip :) Which chipset is you have?

Reaction score
My chipset is intel desktop board D845.... I thought the same way may be i have to wait. Thanks for your comment.

Reaction score
PC Craze said:
I am sure that by now most people own a copy of VISTA.
No!
I'm getting the business upgrade version free, but probably will not install until service pack 1 ship's later in the Summer.
I want to wait until all the problems like you are finding now are sorted out & drivers become available.:nod:

Reaction score
A word of warning, Vista is not designed for onboard graphics chipsets!

Hopefully you resolve your problem soon, however I suspect you will run into more :(

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
A word of warning, Vista is not designed for onboard graphics chipsets! :(
:lol: and it was going on my laptop with intergrated Intel 950 graphics!

Reaction score
It may go on the Laptop.
The graphics are Mobile Intel 945GM which are meant to be OK with Vista?
I'm getting a copy of Vista Business Upgrade for £15 so may leave it until the 1st service pack ships??

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Chris

laughingsmiley.gif
he must be loaded

or did a back up copy :p

Reaction score
I found a solution to my own thread. Seems like Tripletdex has same view that "onboard card is not supported by vista". However, i would like to comment on his saying that "vista is made not to run on onboard card." Newcard can come in market with these features.

My Vista ultimate is working now. I had to put in agp video card and vista will load the driver for it. I hope these board makers (like intell in my case) will come up with new driver to support with vista.
I still have problem with loading some free anti virus, which i am not so worried about at this point of time.
But guys i am up and running all i have to see now is whether the vista is worth having. So far i like the GUI. Moreover installation process is lot easier.

Last edited:

Ask a Question