Windows 7 windows 7 nvidia bsod nvlddmkm.sys

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is daryll and i was looking for a bit of help with a issue im having.

First off im gonna be direct and to the point. I just posted a long post with links and explainations to all i did and then promptly miskeyed and backspaced it into oblivion.

I was trying to take care of some slowness issues and lag in WoW and TF2 and such in Win7 when i thought i was bright to install beta drivers.

Forceware 260.63 Win Vista | 7 (32-bit).

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Forceware-260.63-Win-Vista-|-7-(32-bit)-download-2617.html

I was having trouble and long story short i thought i was wise to remove the old drivers like i used to do back in the day. Enter Driver Sweeper.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html

I believe i deleted something i shouldnt have cause when i rebooted i was able to install the beta drivers, but upon launching WoW i got " No suitable display device ".

At this point i started to re-install all nvidia drivers related to my system and directx in hopes i could fix it. I couldnt and eventually wound up getting the nvlddmkm.sys BSOD.

I have reloaded my OS ( Win7 Ultimate 32bit ) about 4 times now from 2 disks and it would just hang or fail untill i yanked the card and used the ati onboard video. I tried to rename the nvlddmkm.sys file to .old and the trusted installer doesnt give me permission. This was a long shot based off a post on the net.

At this time i am on a fresh Win7 install and in safe mode with networking. I can boot into windows off my ati card no problem, but the second i put in the nvidia 7900gs i get into windows, it installed the default drivers and reboots and BSOD's. I just tried to force a install of the drivers in safe mode and they installed, but upon reboot, the same error.

At this point im googled out, searched out and been working on it for 2 days and am a bit spent. It still crashes and has white lines all over it in the bios boot and in windows has a ghost of the same. If i didnt know any better i would say the bios in the card got effected, but ive never heard of that so i cant think how to fix it if its true. Or even if it has a bois. But it cant be OS or driver based cause i have reloaded my OS.

Anyone have any advice ? It would be much appreciated.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Might this be spam ? I dunno. I will leave that to the bosses. :D
Ok if you were trying to download beta drivers, what were you doing over at guru3d ? Your card manufacturers site would have been the only place to look. Tiis is what brings me to thinking of spammy spam :D Maybe I am wrong, maybe not :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
EvanD;
guru3d are renowned for posting Beta drivers, some good, some crap ... driver sweeper is a resonable "we-will-get-rid-of-old-drivers feebie, take that with a pinch of salt.

Iccanui;
if you're still with us, we will need a comprehensive breakdown of your systems' hardware, including brand/make/model PSU, but especially motherboard.

Also, listing the full BSOD error, will help, though I get the picture with nvlddmkm.sys BSOD, I would still like you to post the full error message. ;)

One "problem" you may have is the poor ability of Windows to switch from ATI to nVidia graphics cards, is a little easier if you can remove the ATI card. ;)

You do now have the latest drivers from nVidia?

:user:

Reaction score
I was at guru3d cause my first step in all this was to try to find a over clocking utility for my gpu. That led me to the beta divers claiming up to 15% improvement in certain games if i remember right . That was just too much too resist cause i was running wow at minimum settings and it was so laggy I couldn't play, i think it was 10 fps at 800x600. I knew something wasn't right software wise so beta drivers again seemed like a descent choice. Also, i used to be big into this stuff and i knew guru3d from a while ago. Unless im confusing it with another site, its been like 10 years.

So small update. I got into none safe mode windows by going into safe mode and disabling the nvidia card in the device manager and booting up windows. I installed the none beta drivers fine direct from the nvidia site. Im running on the ati card that's built into the motherboard ( can't be removed ) but when I try to enable the nvidia card through the device manager, I get the same bsod and a reboot, to which I have to go into safe mode and disable it again.

I would like to not disable the ati card. Previous to the lag and this problem, i was using it to run a third monitor with no problems.

Finally. How would you like me to get you the full error message. Im currently on my iPad getting ready for work, so ill have to get it a bit later. Want the .dmp ? The system specs i can get for you with out help though.

Thanks a lot guys. Be back in 4 or 5 hours, maybe less.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Guru 3D is an awesome site for keeping up with driver leaks etc.

I'm running hte 260 beta with my card atm, got to say they are the best NV drivers if seen for awhile.

What exactly did you delete with Driver Sweeper? Can you remember?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
One question: If the onboard ATI graphics are disabled in the BIOS and the ATI drivers are uninstalled does the Nvidia card run ok with any one set of drivers?

Guru 3D are a fine site, I've been recommending them for years.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
EvanD;
guru3d are renowned for posting Beta drivers, some good, some crap ... driver sweeper is a resonable "we-will-get-rid-of-old-drivers feebie, take that with a pinch of salt.

Ooops. I shall shut up from now on instead of trying to be clever. Comment taken with a whole bag of salt. Sorry :blush:

And apologies to Iccanui for thinking you might be a spammer :blush::blush::blush:

muckshifter

Reaction score
How would you like me to get you the full error message. Im currently on my iPad getting ready for work, so ill have to get it a bit later. Want the .dmp ? The system specs i can get for you with out help though.
No thanks to the .dmp file, too much work :p

just hand write it out or take a picture of your screen ;)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
One question: If the onboard ATI graphics are disabled in the BIOS and the ATI drivers are uninstalled does the Nvidia card run ok with any one set of drivers?

Guru 3D are a fine site, I've been recommending them for years.

Ok, i tried this when i got home this morning. I disabled the ati card and booted up off the nvidia card and got into windows without safemode. But it was showing 1 display device and was cloning the 2 monitors that was on the Nvidia 7900gs. I went into the device manager and sure enough, the card was disabled. So i enabled it. It said i had to reboot to complete the process, so i did. On boot up it memory dumped and i was back to square one. I am now Back on the ATI onboard with the Nvidia Disabled.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
EvanD;

Iccanui;
if you're still with us, we will need a comprehensive breakdown of your systems' hardware, including brand/make/model PSU, but especially motherboard.

Hope this is good enough. I cant find the PSU anyplace. is there a way to find out without ripping it out of the computer?

Windows: Windows 7 Professional, Version 6.1.7600, , 32 Bit.

Internet Explorer: 8.0.7600.16385

Memory (RAM): 1919 MB

CPU Info: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+

CPU Speed: 1001.6 MHz

Sound Card: Speakers (High Definition Audio

Display Adapters: ATI Radeon 2100 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) | ATI Radeon 2100 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver | RDP Reflector Display Driver

Monitors: 1x; Generic PnP Monitor |

Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit

Network: Network Present

Network Adapters: Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC | Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

CD / DVD Drives: E: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S

Ports: NOT Present LPT1

Mouse: 8 Button Wheel Mouse Present

Hard Disks: C: 28.7GB | D: 120.3GB

Hard Disks - Free: C: 20.0GB | D: 25.0GB

USB Controllers: 7 host controllers.

Firewire (1394): Not Detected

Manufacturer: Award Software International, Inc.

Product Make: GA-MA74GM-S2

AC Power Status: OnLine

BIOS Info: | |

Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time

Battery: No Battery

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA74GM-S2

IP Address: **************

MAC Address: ***********

Host Name: **********

:

Also, listing the full BSOD error, will help, though I get the picture with nvlddmkm.sys BSOD, I would still like you to post the full error message. ;)

nvlddmkmsys.jpg

This is the lines i was talking about, they were intermitent at first, meaning reboots and driver switching made it go away, but it seems to stay now.

http://img80.imageshack.us/i/linesg.jpg/

One "problem" you may have is the poor ability of Windows to switch from ATI to nVidia graphics cards, is a little easier if you can remove the ATI card. ;)

Cant remove, but i did disable.

You do now have the latest drivers from nVidia?

Yes. I have - 258.96_desktop_win7_winvista_32bit_english_whql.exe from nvidia website.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is the Everest Report incase its more helpful

Ive added it as a attachemnt

Attachments

• Report.txt
    46.7 KB · Views: 272

muckshifter

Reaction score
oh, and welcome

Hope this is good enough. I cant find the PSU anyplace. is there a way to find out without ripping it out of the computer?
Just take the side off the case and have a look at the lable. Just want to self confirm said PSU can run the nVidia card. :D

Did I read you want to use both the "ATI & nVidia together ©" ... you know it might be easier to chop off your right arm. ;)

The Stop code, 0x00000116 is a video driver error. you will see it for both ATI & nVidia. In this case we see the file Windows thinks is causing the problem.

You may find an entry in your BIOS that sets up the PCI-e slot as "default/first device" if so, I would like you to try it. If not, then I fear you are only gonna be able to use one card at a time.

After searching Mr Bing, I see you ain't alone in your endever to get this working.

Hopefully V_R can add some insight to your problem, he's our "gamer" who has been known to tread the dark side of ATI.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Just take the side off the case and have a look at the lable. Just want to self confirm said PSU can run the nVidia card. :D

Did I read you want to use both the "ATI & nVidia together ©" ... you know it might be easier to chop off your right arm. ;)

The Stop code, 0x00000116 is a video driver error. you will see it for both ATI & nVidia. In this case we see the file Windows thinks is causing the problem.

You may find an entry in your BIOS that sets up the PCI-e slot as "default/first device" if so, I would like you to try it. If not, then I fear you are only gonna be able to use one card at a time.

After searching Mr Bing, I see you ain't alone in your endever to get this working.

Hopefully V_R can add some insight to your problem, he's our "gamer" who has been known to tread the dark side of ATI.

Just to update.

The ati and nvidia have been working as a triple monitor setup for months now. I just use the stock ati win7 drivers for 1 19" and the nvida for the other 19 and a 22". Never had a problem till this. Of course I know that could mean I've just been lucky lol. And I'd be happy to get back to even a single monitor on the nvidia at this point.

Oh and the driver sweeper issue, I am embarrassed to say I just removed anything that said nvidia. I know I know. I guess it's been a while and I never did learn that slow patient thing. I just figured the old drivers were holding me up and a clean install of them all would fix it.

Hmm I wonder if that's it. I cleared out a nvidia driver on the motherboard? I mean whatever it is, it's gotta be deeper then a simple windows driver. That would explain why after the driver sweep and load of the beta driver I was getting a " unsuitable display device" message and why even at the bid boot the video has those lines on it. Maybe something is missing at the motherboard level or a driver got in there that shouldn't have? Don't know thinking out loud here.

Ok gotta go into customer house. Thank god for ipads. :)

Thanks again to everyone.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Iccanui said:
Hmmm, well that BSOD is related to the Nv drivers.

Iccanui said:
This is the lines i was talking about, they were intermitent at first, meaning reboots and driver switching made it go away, but it seems to stay now.

http://img80.imageshack.us/i/linesg.jpg/
Thats odd, where i first saw it i thought the card may have been on the way out. but its not artifacts after all...

Out of interest, Can you try the card in another machine?

Iccanui said:
Oh and the driver sweeper issue, I am embarrassed to say I just removed anything that said nvidia. I know I know. I guess it's been a while and I never did learn that slow patient thing. I just figured the old drivers were holding me up and a clean install of them all would fix it.

Hmm I wonder if that's it. I cleared out a nvidia driver on the motherboard? I mean whatever it is, it's gotta be deeper then a simple windows driver. That would explain why after the driver sweep and load of the beta driver I was getting a " unsuitable display device" message and why even at the bid boot the video has those lines on it. Maybe something is missing at the motherboard level or a driver got in there that shouldn't have? Don't know thinking out loud here.
That shouldn't cause an issue its not like you removed the chipset drivers. It doesn't look like its an NV chipset based board anyway looking at the specs.

Reaction score
Ok more info. Power supply.

Power Up pu450 power supply. \i think this is it.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2475867&sku=GEN-2005

That shouldn't cause an issue its not like you removed the chipset drivers. It doesn't look like its an NV chipset based board anyway looking at the specs.

If this helps, this is where it seems to have all gone to hell.

driversweeper-250.jpg

I checked all the Nvidia options im am sure. After that i installed the beta drivers, which finally didnt give me a fail error. I started up WoW and got " Unsuitable Display device. I think i went to install the old drivers at that point and thats where it went wrong. Its a little jumbled, it was late.

I dont have another Nvida card to install, they are all AGP and this is a PCI-E board. I do have a cheapo ATI i can put in though.

Hope it helps. Thank you all again so much.

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ohhh, thats a proper cheap PSU isn't it!? No offence meant by that by the way.. :)

If its any consolation i always use Driver Sweeper when installing new drivers, and it's never caused me an issue. I'm still unsure if it is that that has caused the issues.....

Did you say you ran DS in safe mode?

Reaction score
V_R said:
Ohhh, thats a proper cheap PSU isn't it!? No offence meant by that by the way.. :)

If its any consolation i always use Driver Sweeper when installing new drivers, and it's never caused me an issue. I'm still unsure if it is that that has caused the issues.....

Did you say you ran DS in safe mode?

Its ok, its a cheapo :) My thermaltake failed on me and i need a cheapo to last me till i build a new system. But it has been doing, for the most part, fine up till this point. Im thinking it cant be that cause this is all driver related ?

I did not run DS in safe mode. Doh ! God, you forget the simple things. But after 3 OS reloads would that even matter at this point ?

And to reiterate since i just edited my post

"I dont have another Nvida card to install, they are all AGP and this is a PCI-E board. I do have a cheapo ATI i can put in though.
"

Reaction score
So i tried to remove the file in safemode tonite, no avail. Driver Sweeper i was hoping would get the .sys in safe mode, but that didnt work out.

Whe next step has been to get at the file that's been causing the issue. I tried to boot to console but I could not get the console to cd .. out of x: and when I booted to my winxp install, which wouldnt boot since this issue too, till I removed the card tonite, I couldn't access the .sys either due to permissions. So I said f it, I backed up all my data blew out the partitions and formated the drive from scratch, incase the file in the xp parition was causing a problem. I yanked the card and worked it off the ati built in to the motherboard.

It all worked great, install was fine. So i put the card in, it came up and everything was moving really slow so i forced a reboot to safemode. I saw there that the card was installed as a video display device, with no name. I booted to windows, it was there too. I updated the drivers and rebooted. It was now showing 7900 gs. I went to display properties and hit detect and it found the 7900gs and said it just didnt have anything to display too or something. So far so good. I plugged in the monitors and boom, BSOD, reboot and back to square one.

So now i am going to do a install off the nvidia card. I have disabled the onboard ATI and am pushing to the main 22 via the nvidia. Minor ghost pattern on still, as it has been. Im running 64 bit this time in the hopes itll use different drivers or force something to update. Thank god im still working through torchwood.

The only thing i can think at this point is it has to be the card some how. I cant see how i could have messed something up on it through driver updates and removals and beta drivers, but there just seems no other logical answer. Is there a bios/cmos i can reset on a video card? I found a sticker on it talking about the award bios or something.

Guess im tapped out for tonite. Man i really dont want to buy a new card, im strapped right now. I was hoping to wait a few months and build a whole new machine.

Oh well, thar be the update maties. Yarrr.

Ok guess i should hit the sack, blackbeard is showing his head lol.

Reaction score
Well, that didn't work. Just one last update.

NIght all. Thanks for trying all, i appreciate it alot. But i think the card is hosed at this point. Unless someone has a better line of logic.

muckshifter

Reaction score
are you dual-booting XP & Win7 ?

if so, why?

Ask a Question