Windows Vista vista to xp

Reaction score
HI All

I have a new dell 530s desktop, runs home premium,ser. pack 1,2duo cpu @2.20ghz, 3.00gb memory,
system type 32-bit OS.
OK, what is the best way to go back to XP i have my disk .
but the new dell only has vista on it!
I would like to go back to XP.
my antvir is Avira antvir personal

thanks
RedSky51

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Boot from the XP disk and when it reaches the point where it asks if you would like to format the disk, choose yes.

Well that's how I'd do it but I know nothing of Dells, there may be complications with recovery partitions or similar. You may also void your warrant with Dell, but not sure.

I wonder if you could install XP for a dual boot?

Reaction score
floppybootstomp

when i put in the xp disk, it tells me that i have a compatibility issues the version on my computer is newer then
the version on the cd.

redsky51

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You need to boot your PC from the XP disk rather than just run it from your drive - make sure your CD/DVD Drive is set as the first boot device in the BIOS then insert the disk into your drive and reboot your PC.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You have to boot from the XP disk, to install XP, putting the disk in when Vista's running will achieve nothing.

Enter the BIOS, set the first boot device to CD, put the XP disk in the drive and boot the machine.

It will then start the XP installation sequence.

Reaction score
A friend recently did this on his Phillips Laptop & totally screwed it up as the Laptop would not run under XP.
Something to do with the BIOS only seeing Vista & nothing else!

Suggest you Dual-Boot it.:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
redsky51 said:
does this mean do an f2 go into setup and set my drive there?

I don't know how you enter the biios on your machine but it's usually by pressing del or f2 on boot so probably.

Once there, look for boot device and set to CD drive.

For what it's worth, by the way, I'd advise against changing back to XP. I'm sure it wil void the Dell warranty, XP is now eight years old and an outdated operating system and Microsoft have stopped issuing licences for XP which means it will soon no longer be available.

Vista supports more modern hardware than XP and your Dell machine was probably built to run on Vista. And Microsoft's new Operating System, Seven, will probably be available this August so you could probably upgrade to Seven at that time.

However, if you insist on installing XP - and thus very likely losing your Vista Operating System - be my guest :)

Reaction score
Floppy

thanks that i have xp pro on disk. but your advice sound the best.
and my dell warranty was gone in Dec.
i think i'll reinstall all the stuff i put on disk and go back to running vista.

THANks

Ask a Question