Windows Vista Vista back to XP

Reaction score
i n laymans language..how do i revert back to XP from Vista..I have Vista business on a new Dell computer..but i want to use XP professional from my previous Dell computer I have CD but it will not allow me to install it saying cant use older version (XP) instead of newer version(Vista) I have only basic computer knowledge i only use computer for basic things..but Vista is more trouble than its worth..every corner u turn hits a brick wall thanks steve

Reaction score
steviethomas said:
i n laymans language..how do i revert back to XP from Vista..I have Vista business on a new Dell computer..but i want to use XP professional from my previous Dell computer I have CD but it will not allow me to install it saying cant use older version (XP) instead of newer version(Vista) I have only basic computer knowledge i only use computer for basic things..but Vista is more trouble than its worth..every corner u turn hits a brick wall thanks steve

Hi Steve,

You are not able to install XP when in Vista you need to boot from the cd to do this either press F11 when the computer starts to go to the boot menu, or go into the BIOS ether pressing DEL or F2 and change the boot order to boot from the CD Drive first. (Please note that this process will completly remove all data on your hard drive, so back up all your data to disks frist. Have you not got a proper XP cd as well as the recovery or just the recovery cd? as far as I know sometimes other recovery disks from other computers wont work on new ones because they have drivers for that pc only.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Wiz

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Your old Dell XP version probably only allowed you one licence to run it on the original Dell. If you want to run XP on your new Dell you will need a new XP licence.
You may be able to get a free XP from Dell.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Your old Dell XP version probably only allowed you one licence to run it on the original Dell. If you want to run XP on your new Dell you will need a new XP licence.
You may be able to get a free XP from Dell.

happywave.gif

If the licence isn't been used on the other computer then there should be no problem installig it on the new one..If it is, then follow the Phoneline Product Key registration and MS will give you another key..I have 3 laptops all using a single licence..

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
If the licence isn't been used on the other computer then there should be no problem installig it on the new one..If it is, then follow the Phoneline Product Key registration and MS will give you another key..I have 3 laptops all using a single licence..

How is that possible ?? :blush:

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
How is that possible ?? :blush:

Edit: Ok let me put it to you this way..If you have 1 XP/Vista Licence and wish to use it on another computer..Microsoft will issue you with upto 5 product keys for that licence for free (Price of a phone call) If all 5 are to be used for your own peronal use...

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Gentlemen - this is bordering on the naughty - could get PCRUK into trouble.

Please watch what you post.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
How is that possible legally ?? is what I should have posted.

I was under the impression that a OEM XP could only ever be used on on one pc.

But a RETAIL XP could be used on one pc. If that died you could then use the XP on a new pc. An so on for up to 5 transfers.

I always found this a little confusing.

I just own OEM versions of XP , one Home and one Pro.

user.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I always found this a little confusing.

user.gif

I find it a bit confusing to, but the chap I spoke to at Microsoft assured me there was nothing wrong with what I was doing...So who am I to argue..?

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
A friend of mine bought a PC from Dell very recently and couldn't get on with Vista. They sorted her out with XP at no extra charge and were very helpful. Try giving Dell a call.

Good luck.

Gabz xx

Ask a Question