Vista to xp networking

Have read many of the links but non seem to work.
I have a pc on vista premium, a laptop and pc on xp home, all sharing an
internet connection thru a belkin router. the 2 pc's are wired and the
laptop wireless. the xp pc can be mapped and used by both other computers,
the vista pc is (as far as I can tell) set to share along with it's printer.
When i come to map the network, all 3 pc's show up on the other 2 pc's, but
the vista pc and the laptop will not allow them selves to be expanded to show
the shared files.
I'm sure this is a real simple problem, but right now i am at my wits end

Michael Knapp

I am having the same problem. My network uses a Linksys router. My new HP
laptop is Vista Premium and wireless (although I did wire it to see if it
made any difference - as suspected, it didn't). My other 3 computers, 2
desktops 1 Notebook and occasionally another notebook all work well. All
computers have different OS's - XP Home, 2K Pro, ME and 98SE. One big happy
communicating family until Vista joined the crowd. The others sitll
communicate and show Vista as being there but Vista won't let them in.

Try the following link, a Microsoft TechNote: File and Printer Sharing in
Windows Vista:

It's a step by step "How To" and is consistent with everything else I've
been able to track down. Let me know if you have any luck.

Any MVP's have any clues to share? If so, please don't be bashful

Cheers,
Mike
(e-mail address removed)

Have read many of the links but non seem to work.
I have a pc on vista premium, a laptop and pc on xp home, all sharing an
internet connection thru a belkin router. the 2 pc's are wired and the
laptop wireless. the xp pc can be mapped and used by both other computers,
the vista pc is (as far as I can tell) set to share along with it's printer.
When i come to map the network, all 3 pc's show up on the other 2 pc's, but
the vista pc and the laptop will not allow them selves to be expanded to
show
the shared files.
I'm sure this is a real simple problem, but right now i am at my wits end

Same problem as all the dozens of others. I've gone through all the
troubleshootng tips to no avail. Now it sort of sometimes works then just
stops. It's very random.

Thanks for that step by step link, worked a treat. The problem was to do
with requiring a password to access files. Only problem now is that the
priner installed on the vista machine says the epson printer installed
doesn't exist, and that i don't have the rights to install a new one, even
though i am thye only user on it, any thoughts?

Michael Knapp

Yep... I realized just after posting the message that a User Account with a
Login password was required on the non-vista machine even though Password
Required was disabled on the Vista machine. I normally don't use login
passwords because I don't like to have to log onto the computer since I'm
the only user. Microsoft's TweakUI Powertoy can handle that, however. So
far, I'm at least able to get into the Public Folder - I need to bone up on
"Permissions".

As for the printer - do you have the printer software installed on both
computers? If not, try that.
Mike