Windows Vista Vista: System Restore not working

Reaction score
I need to restore my system to the state it was in yesterday morning (having foolishly downloaded a program which created a Z: drive). When I run System Restore it goes through the motions, reboots, etc., but finally tells me that "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: An unspecified error occurred during System Restore".

This is not a new problem. I have needed to use System Restore a number of times over the last year but always got the same message. I have tried different restore points without success.

Reaction score
Yes, my aim was to get rid of the Z drive. After making this post I found that I could get Restore to work by running it in Safe Mode. All is now OK.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
kafka said:
When I run System Restore it goes through the motions, reboots, etc., but finally tells me that "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: An unspecified error occurred during System Restore".

Exactly what I had last week. Will try System Restore in Safe Mode tonight with my fingers crossed. :D

Ask a Question