Vista SP1 Install Prerequisites

Saucy

Hi:

There's an occasional reference to prerequisites for installing SP1,
especially vis a vis if one wants to be able to un-install the service pack.

Is it OK to install Vista SP1 on Vista RTM without first installing the
prerequisites (especially if one is not concerned about uninstalling the
service pack)?

I would imagine that the service pack makes a backup somewhere of the system
files - where is the backup?

Thank you for any replies.

Saucy

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
You are required to have the pre-reqs installed before you will be allowed
to install the service pack.
There are changes in those file that need to be on your system prior to
installation so as not to cause issues with the installation as well as
with uninstalling.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "Saucy" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Vista SP1 Install Prerequisites
|> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:39:28 -0500
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Hi:
|>
|> There's an occasional reference to prerequisites for installing SP1,
|> especially vis a vis if one wants to be able to un-install the service
pack.

|> Is it OK to install Vista SP1 on Vista RTM without first installing the
|> prerequisites (especially if one is not concerned about uninstalling the
|> service pack)?
|>
|> I would imagine that the service pack makes a backup somewhere of the
system
|> files - where is the backup?
|>
|> Thank you for any replies.
|>
|> Saucy

Mikep

The 'more information' link provided with those updates says that they need
to be installed if sp1 is delivered thru windows update. If you install sp1
from the actual cd or download, these updates are installed as part of the
update.

Mike

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
You are correct. If you have media of the full download package of Sp1,
then the pre-reqs are part of that package and they do install prior to the
installation of the Service Pack
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "Mikep" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Vista SP1 Install Prerequisites
|> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:03:18 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> The 'more information' link provided with those updates says that they
need
|> to be installed if sp1 is delivered thru windows update. If you install
sp1
|> from the actual cd or download, these updates are installed as part of
the
|> update.
|>
|> Mike

message
|> > You are required to have the pre-reqs installed before you will be
allowed
|> > to install the service pack.
|> > There are changes in those file that need to be on your system prior to
|> > installation so as not to cause issues with the installation as well as
|> > with uninstalling.
|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|> >
|> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|> > --------------------

|> > pack.

|> > the

|> > system

Saucy

OK. Very much thanks, and to both of you.

Saucy

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
You are correct. If you have media of the full download package of Sp1,
then the pre-reqs are part of that package and they do install prior to
the
installation of the Service Pack
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]