Vista sleep problems

O

ofn01

I have Vista x32 ultimate SP1

Vista has had these two problems both before & after SP1:

1. Trying to force Vista to sleep (using the red power button at the logon screen) has the system half the time enter a "half" asleep state where certain USB things like the mouse/keyboard are powered down, the monitor is off but the drives+fans are running. Nothing can wake the system up except a hard reboot.

2. Leaving Vista to sleep by itself - half the time it ends with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screen but no memory.dmp file has been written (it is set to write a Kernal file if it crashes & I turned auto reboot off)

I have run sigverif and there are only a couple of minor unsigned drivers - a few of the Nvidia ones (but this is from 169.25 which is WHQL certified - the only drivers ever installed on this system) and entech.sys which is related to 3dmark05.

Any ideas what could cause this kind of behaviour?

O

ofn01

Bob said:
How to Troubleshoot a Vista Sleep Mode Problem and Find a Solution
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems..html

I have come across that page before (using the cached one from google).

I have tried disabling the usb keyboard & mouse from being able to wake the system up, messing around with various advanced power option settings (I have mine set to high performance mode at the moment with some basic customisations - but have tried all the various combinations of enabling/disabling hybrid sleep / usb selective suspend etc. etc.).

The only thing i have not tried is the shutting down of hard disks one minute before sleep is meant to engage - I will try this setting & see if it helps my latter problem of the BSOD

E

E. Cox

I had no problems with my Dell XPS 1530 sleeping and staying asleep before
sp1. Once I installed sp1, the laptop would not stay asleep or would not go
to sleep at all. I tried the troubleshooting sleep articles and nothing
worked. My solution was to download the latest chipset drivers from Intel.
Once I installed them, the system has been sleeping like a baby.

SP1 did a number on the sleep/hibernate features of many various systems,
there is no doubt there.

Ask a Question