Vista see's 1 cpu - dual core

Hi guys,

I have installed Vista Ultimate on my PC which has a dual core amd 4400+.
But when I open task manager it only shows one cpu. When i has xp installed
it showed 2.

I have tried the 'view' options of the task manager but no luck. There is
only one option in cpu history - 'one graph per cpu' and this still displays
one core.

Has anyone got any ideas what is causing this please??

philo

vonny@ said:
Hi guys,

I have installed Vista Ultimate on my PC which has a dual core amd 4400+.
But when I open task manager it only shows one cpu. When i has xp installed
it showed 2.

I have tried the 'view' options of the task manager but no luck. There is
only one option in cpu history - 'one graph per cpu' and this still displays
one core.

Has anyone got any ideas what is causing this please??

look in device manager...Computer

it's probably listed as ACPI pc (or something similar)

right click and look at properties...
then go to driver....update driver...and show all hardware

then install the appropriate multi-processor driver
(typically ACPI multiprocessor pc)

Note: although I've done that with no problems on XP & Win2k machines that I
upgraded from 1 to 2 cpu's...
I have not tried it with Vista...

Bob

philo said:
look in device manager...Computer

it's probably listed as ACPI pc (or something similar)

right click and look at properties...
then go to driver....update driver...and show all hardware

then install the appropriate multi-processor driver
(typically ACPI multiprocessor pc)

Note: although I've done that with no problems on XP & Win2k machines that
upgraded from 1 to 2 cpu's...
I have not tried it with Vista...

Vista doesn't have a "multiprocessor" ACPI listing like XP does. For my AMD
dual core processor under Computer in device manager it is listed as "ACPI
x86-based PC" the two processor cores are listed under the "processor"
selection. As to why the OP's system does not show that I have no idea.
Bob

philo

From: "philo" <[email protected]>
To: "Bob" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Vista see's 1 cpu - dual core
Date: Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:05 AM

Vista doesn't have a "multiprocessor" ACPI listing like XP does. For my AMD
dual core processor under Computer in device manager it is listed as "ACPI
x86-based PC" the two processor cores are listed under the "processor"
selection. As to why the OP's system does not show that I have no idea.
Bob

yep...you are right there...i had to boot over to Vista to have a look
and should not have trusted my memory on the new OS.

anyway...if you go to the cpu itself
and right clcik...there is an option to update drivers...
if doing that does not pick up the dual-cpu then i would not know of any
other options

Bob

From: "philo" <[email protected]>
To: "Bob" <[email protected]>
Date: Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:05 AM

yep...you are right there...i had to boot over to Vista to have a look
and should not have trusted my memory on the new OS.

anyway...if you go to the cpu itself
and right clcik...there is an option to update drivers...
if doing that does not pick up the dual-cpu then i would not know of any
other options

Maybe a Vista "repair" type of reinstall would recognize both cores ?
Bob

philo

Maybe a Vista "repair" type of reinstall would recognize both cores ?
Bob

The original install *should* have detected the dual core...so I don't know
if a repair
would help anything

Bob

I might add-the OP came here for help with his Vista install....if you have
no constructive solutions or answers for him than as I said below...

Viscount

Vista takes functionality away that was in XP. It's BS. To get it back,
Reinstall XP.

To quote myself...
"STFU"

Viscount

You didn't give him a constructive solution. Reinstalling XP is a
constructive solution.

DXave

vonny@

I had exactly same problem.

run MSCONFIG

click the boot tab.

click Advanced Options

select Detect HAL

click ok twice then reboot.

this worked for me, even though my pc locked up
on reboot, after second reboot voila 2 cpus