Vista Product Keys?

f/fgeorge

Not to throw a monkey wrench in your plans but upgrading is what most
of the people having problems here have done! As long as you do not
need a new pc, keep XP if you can. XP and Vista pc's network just
fine. I have over 20 pc's here at home and only a few have Vista. They
work fine when talking to XP, both Home and Pro, and my Win2K
machines.

John Barnes

Upgrades in Vista are done from within the currently running qualifying OS.
In your case XP. You do no longer even have the option to insert the CD.
Vista is generally available on DVD. Retail DVD's are the same and the
product key, if provided, determines what is installed.

Tom Scales

There is, however, a simple work around.

1) Do a fresh install of Vista. When it prompts for the key, do NOT enter
it. This will install a trial version. Make sure to choose the version
for which you are licensed.

2) Boot this install and DO NOT activate it

3) Run the Vista install within Vista and do give the product key and
activate it.

The dual install works fine. Vista upgrades itself.

Tom
Posted At: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:30 AM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Conversation: J6CVB-7JPDM-M8TM3-R39JW-D7VYB
Subject: Re: J6CVB-7JPDM-M8TM3-R39JW-D7VYB

Upgrades in Vista are done from within the currently running qualifying
OS.
In your case XP. You do no longer even have the option to insert the
CD.
Vista is generally available on DVD. Retail DVD's are the same and the
product key, if provided, determines what is installed.

"WINDOWVISTAHOMEBASICS"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message (e-mail address removed)...

John Barnes

That is why I stated 'if provided', but didn't see how this would solve
anything for the OP

Tom Scales said:
[...]

:

Does anyone know how the Vista Product Keys are going to work? Let me
explain why I ask.

I have 5 PCs in my household, all with XP Home or XP Pro. Eventually I
will want to upgrade them the Vista Ultimate, Home, or Home Premium,
depending on their specifications and usage.

In the past I have always bought "upgrade" software, but it's a real
PITA having to insert the old CD, so I figured if I bought one "full"
copy (and 4 upgrades) I could use that to do any new install, but use
the key from the appropriate version. Will this work?

Also, will all the versions be like the RTM version I have now: all
the versions are on the CD, but you only get a key for one? If so,
does this mean you could buy a key to get a different version?

Tom Scales

You've lost me. He said that he was buying retail, so the keys would be
available

Regardless, the best approach would be the family pack. One Ultimate and
two Home Premium of I recall.

Better yet, stick with XP :)

[...]

I haven't looked for a while, but you can save around $10 at Amazon by
buying a key only, with no DVD. The Ultimate deal mentioned by Tom, US
only, expires shortly so look into it soon if you are interested.