Vista Product Keys?

Nigel Molesworth

Does anyone know how the Vista Product Keys are going to work? Let me
explain why I ask.

I have 5 PCs in my household, all with XP Home or XP Pro. Eventually I
will want to upgrade them the Vista Ultimate, Home, or Home Premium,
depending on their specifications and usage.

In the past I have always bought "upgrade" software, but it's a real
PITA having to insert the old CD, so I figured if I bought one "full"
copy (and 4 upgrades) I could use that to do any new install, but use
the key from the appropriate version. Will this work?

Also, will all the versions be like the RTM version I have now: all
the versions are on the CD, but you only get a key for one? If so,
does this mean you could buy a key to get a different version?

Richard G. Harper

Well ... first, Vista doesn't ask for a CD from your prior OS to upgrade.
The upgrade must be started from within Windows. So that worry is gone.
But each computer must be running a legitimate copy of Windows before you
can upgrade them.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

Nigel Molesworth

Well ... first, Vista doesn't ask for a CD from your prior OS to upgrade.
The upgrade must be started from within Windows.

Yikes! So what happens if your HD dies and you need to re-install,
surely you don't have to install an older version first!

Nigel Molesworth

Oh yes you do :-(

So back to my original question. Could you use a full copy to do a new
install, but use the key from the appropriate upgrade version?

Kerry Brown

All the media is the same. All versions of Vista (either 32 bit or 64 bit,
each has their own media) are on the media. What is installed depends on the
product key you enter. As far as I know the upgrade media is the same as the
full media. The only difference is the key that is supplied.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
That is correct. The media is the same, the behavior is different
depending on whether you use an upgrade key or a full product.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Kerry Brown" <[email protected]*a*m>
|>Subject: Re: Vista Product Keys?
|>Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:49:02 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>All the media is the same. All versions of Vista (either 32 bit or 64
bit,
|>each has their own media) are on the media. What is installed depends on
the
|>product key you enter. As far as I know the upgrade media is the same as
the
|>full media. The only difference is the key that is supplied.
|>
|>--
|>Kerry Brown
|>Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
|>http://www.vistahelp.ca

|>> So back to my original question. Could you use a full copy to do a new
|>> install, but use the key from the appropriate upgrade version?
|>>
|>> --
|>> Nigel M

Jeff Daly

So if I want to do a "clean installation" I have to reformat my drive, use
the inane "recovery disks", delete all the AOL and other crap that
automatically loads and THEN install Vista????

Jeff Gaines

So if I want to do a "clean installation" I have to reformat my drive, use
the inane "recovery disks", delete all the AOL and other crap that
automatically loads and THEN install Vista????

You do if you buy an upgrade version of Vista. You could avoid it by
buying a full version.

John Barnes

Not sure why you think you have to uninstall anything. A clean install is a
clean install. You only lay down the Vista image. Then you reinstall
anything you want to (or are able to)

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
That is correct. The media is the same, the behavior is different
depending on whether you use an upgrade key or a full product.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

rights
--------------------
|>From: "Kerry Brown" <[email protected]*a*m>
|>Subject: Re: Vista Product Keys?
|>Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:49:02 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>All the media is the same. All versions of Vista (either 32 bit or 64
bit,
|>each has their own media) are on the media. What is installed depends
on
the
|>product key you enter. As far as I know the upgrade media is the same
as
the
|>full media. The only difference is the key that is supplied.
|>
|>--
|>Kerry Brown
|>Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
|>http://www.vistahelp.ca

|>> So back to my original question. Could you use a full copy to do a
new
|>> install, but use the key from the appropriate upgrade version?
|>>
|>> --
|>> Nigel M

Kerry Brown

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
That is correct. The media is the same, the behavior is different
depending on whether you use an upgrade key or a full product.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Thanks, Darrell. And also thank you for your time in researching and testing
this.

Kerry Brown

If you use an upgrade key and the 32 bit version of Vista (and some 64 bit
scenarios) you can only start the upgrade from within a qualifying OS. This
means if your hard drive crashes and you install a new drive you also have
to reinstall the qualifying OS, or restore the factory setup, before you can
reinstall the Vista upgrade. If you restore the factory setup then you also
restore all the crap the came along with it. You would have to uninstall all
this before installing the Vista upgrade.

Of course a prudent person would have an up to date backup before the hard
drive crashed and avoid all the above :)

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
That is correct. The media is the same, the behavior is different
depending on whether you use an upgrade key or a full product.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

rights
--------------------
|>From: "Kerry Brown" <[email protected]*a*m>
|>Subject: Re: Vista Product Keys?
|>Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:49:02 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>All the media is the same. All versions of Vista (either 32 bit or 64
bit,
|>each has their own media) are on the media. What is installed depends
on
the
|>product key you enter. As far as I know the upgrade media is the same
as
the
|>full media. The only difference is the key that is supplied.
|>
|>--
|>Kerry Brown
|>Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
|>http://www.vistahelp.ca

|>> So back to my original question. Could you use a full copy to do a
new
|>> install, but use the key from the appropriate upgrade version?
|>>
|>> --
|>> Nigel M

Colin Barnhorst

According to Darrel's reply to us in another thread, the requirement to run
from the legacy desktop is only a requirement when you are using the x86
dvd. He says that you can boot with an x64 dvd and you will not be required
to run from the legacy desktop even if you enter an upgrade edition product
key. As long as Setup detects a genuine copy of Windows (W2k, XP, or XP
x64) Setup will continue without requiring a restart.

That is new information.

John Barnes

You would have to uninstall all
this before installing the Vista upgrade.

I still don't understand why, as you are only using the reinstalled OS for
qualification, when you are doing a clean install (from the DVD) , nothing
from that system
affects the Vista installation.

Of course a prudent person would have an up to date backup before the hard
drive crashed and avoid all the above :)

We all have an up to date backup before a hard drive crashes, don't we? :)

Jeff Daly said:
So if I want to do a "clean installation" I have to reformat my drive,
use the inane "recovery disks", delete all the AOL and other crap that
automatically loads and THEN install Vista????

message Hello,
That is correct. The media is the same, the behavior is different
depending on whether you use an upgrade key or a full product.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

rights
--------------------
|>From: "Kerry Brown" <[email protected]*a*m>
|>Subject: Re: Vista Product Keys?
|>Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:49:02 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>All the media is the same. All versions of Vista (either 32 bit or 64
bit,
|>each has their own media) are on the media. What is installed depends
on
the
|>product key you enter. As far as I know the upgrade media is the same
as
the
|>full media. The only difference is the key that is supplied.
|>
|>--
|>Kerry Brown
|>Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
|>http://www.vistahelp.ca

|>> So back to my original question. Could you use a full copy to do a
new
|>> install, but use the key from the appropriate upgrade version?
|>>
|>> --
|>> Nigel M

Kerry Brown

It's getting much clearer how the upgrade process works thanks to Darrell.
There's only a couple of weeks until I'm sure the questions about it will
become a flood.

Nigel Molesworth

All the media is the same. All versions of Vista (either 32 bit or 64 bit,
each has their own media) are on the media. What is installed depends on the
product key you enter. As far as I know the upgrade media is the same as the
full media. The only difference is the key that is supplied.

Now I'm confused.

When you install Vista, you don't have to enter the key. So you could
format your HD during the install, then discover your key didn't work?

Nigel Molesworth

If you use an upgrade key and the 32 bit version of Vista (and some 64 bit
scenarios) you can only start the upgrade from within a qualifying OS. This
means if your hard drive crashes and you install a new drive you also have
to reinstall the qualifying OS

Even more confused now, see "Upgrade Planning for Windows Vista":

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeinfo.mspx

This says that to upgrade from (say) XP Professional to Vista Home
Premium requires a "clean install".

thecreator

Hi Nigel,

As long as you have one Windows operating system CD, from a previous
operating system, you don't need to purchase the Full Version of Vista. You
should be able just to buy one Windows Vista Upgrade CD and buy extra
Product Keys, possibility are a lower cost under a Volume License deal.

However, before you actually install the Vista Upgrade on your
Computers, make sure that you have Windows Vista Device Drivers available to
install and use. Many Companies aren't publishing upgraded Device drivers
for Vista on their Websites, yet.

The Product Key to Activate Windows Vista will only work with one
computer.

Colin Barnhorst

That means that the upgrade option will be disabled (such an upgrade would
actually be a downgrade due to a loss of some functionality). You would
have to use the custom install option and that does not preserve your files,
settings, and apps. The yellow dots in the upgrade matrix are migrations
rather than upgrades. When you see "clean" think "migrate."

If you are thinking that the use of the word "clean" means a classic clean
installation where you reformat the hard drive and then install, that is not
the case. In fact you could not format the system drive since the legacy OS
is running. Also, the Format tool is in the Advanced Options and that
button does not appear when you run Setup from the desktop.