Vista Media Player

Before explaining my problem, a comment. When looking for solutions in
Vista, I am guided to solutions for everything but VISTA. Updates are
available on the Microsoft website for Microsoft Natural Keyboard., but not
for VISTA. Although the Solution helper in Control Panel takes you there.
Media Player 11, on the Microsoft Website, everything but VISTA... Now my
problem:
When I put a DVD in the drive, the screen goes blue, dumping starts, and the
system crashes. Just started this today. Did not change anything. Been
fine since February? How do I reinstall Media Player, or get rid of the
thing?

Ian Betts

dbworkmansr said:
Before explaining my problem, a comment. When looking for solutions in
Vista, I am guided to solutions for everything but VISTA. Updates are
available on the Microsoft website for Microsoft Natural Keyboard., but
not
for VISTA. Although the Solution helper in Control Panel takes you there.
Media Player 11, on the Microsoft Website, everything but VISTA... Now my
problem:
When I put a DVD in the drive, the screen goes blue, dumping starts, and
the
system crashes. Just started this today. Did not change anything. Been
fine since February? How do I reinstall Media Player, or get rid of the
thing?
Sounds very much like you need a new CD drive. Microsoft website is not the
place to go for divers for your hardware by the way. Go to the hardware
manufactures site. Search there for Vista drivers..

zachd [MSFT]

Are you AutoPlaying to WMP, or how is WMP getting invoked here? If you turn
off AutoPlay, do you still blue screen?

WMP shouldn't generally be able to cause a blue screen, which are generally
going to be limited to device driver issues. The latest version of WMP is
already included in Vista. There is no standalone installer available for
Windows Media Player on Vista.

You can turn down off automatic restart on blue screen to get more
information from that --
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable_automatic_restart_to_read_blue_screen_messages.htm, which may be illuminative. I'd start there...--Speaking for myself only.See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.--"dbworkmansr" <[email protected]> wrote in messageBefore explaining my problem, a comment. When looking for solutions in> Vista, I am guided to solutions for everything but VISTA. Updates are> available on the Microsoft website for Microsoft Natural Keyboard., butnot> for VISTA. Although the Solution helper in Control Panel takes you there.> Media Player 11, on the Microsoft Website, everything but VISTA... Now my> problem:> When I put a DVD in the drive, the screen goes blue, dumping starts, andthe> system crashes. Just started this today. Did not change anything. Been> fine since February? How do I reinstall Media Player, or get rid of the> thing?

I don't need a new DVD Drive, I have two, and they both play in XP (dual
boot) just fine. As does Windows Media Player. This media player in VISTA
STINKS! Media Player 11 in XP works just fine. I did have Media Player set
up to play DVD's automaticly, thats why I paid the Big Bucks for VISTA.
Nothing like paying for something you can't use. I am a system builder,
well, have built 12 systems. This is not a driver or hardware problem. I
have a FAST system. Ian, when there is a problem with a driver, (God knows
how Vista looses the working driver) you are notified in the taskbar of
solutions to the problem, and by clicking on the box, you automaticly go to
the microsoft website. I don't go there on my own for drivers, although I
have a Microsoft keyboard. It's when you get there, you find the solutions
are not for VISTA!!! AS stated before, the system was released too soon,
Beta never worked good. I hope they don't rush service packs!!! I hope the
powers to be, read this, and all the other problems people are having with
Media Player, and arrange for a repair file, or a uninstall/reistall file,
so the program can be fixed, and the public is not just left hanging.

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable_automatic_restart_to_read_blue_screen_messages.htm, which may be illuminative. I'd start there...--Speaking for myself only.See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.--"dbworkmansr" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...> Before explaining my problem, a comment. When looking for solutions in> Vista, I am guided to solutions for everything but VISTA. Updates are> available on the Microsoft website for Microsoft Natural Keyboard., butnot> for VISTA. Although the Solution helper in Control Panel takes you there.> Media Player 11, on the Microsoft Website, everything but VISTA... Now my> problem:> When I put a DVD in the drive, the screen goes blue, dumping starts, andthe> system crashes. Just started this today. Did not change anything. Been> fine since February? How do I
reinstall Media Player, or get rid of the> thing?

zachd [MSFT]

I wasn't suggesting a new DVD drive.

Do you have AutoPlay set to open WMP? It seems like you did. If you do not
open or let WMP be AutoPlayed when the disc is inserted, is it still blowing
up? The reason that would be interesting is to know if WMP is really in
the mix here. For example, if you don't AutoPlay the DVD and then open it
up with a random third party DVD player - does it play back without blowing
up... ?