Vista Home overflow

iengine

Will some kind person advise on how to remove fonts from the file i
Vista Home? I am running Office 2003 on my laptop, and the Fonts fil
has MANY fonts installed, the vast number of which I do not want
Simple things in life are generally best. In XP I could simply click o
any font, check to see if it was required, then delete, keeping th
numbers down to a select few. Now in Vista, I am informed that it i
not allowed to remove most of the fonts in the file for some unknow
reason...
Help appreciated.
Regard

Gordon

iengine said:
Will some kind person advise on how to remove fonts from the file in
Vista Home? I am running Office 2003 on my laptop, and the Fonts file
has MANY fonts installed, the vast number of which I do not want.
Simple things in life are generally best. In XP I could simply click on
any font, check to see if it was required, then delete, keeping the
numbers down to a select few. Now in Vista, I am informed that it is
not allowed to remove most of the fonts in the file for some unknown
reason...

Err and why is this a problem?

Malke

iengine said:
Will some kind person advise on how to remove fonts from the file in
Vista Home? I am running Office 2003 on my laptop, and the Fonts file
has MANY fonts installed, the vast number of which I do not want.
Simple things in life are generally best. In XP I could simply click on
any font, check to see if it was required, then delete, keeping the
numbers down to a select few. Now in Vista, I am informed that it is
not allowed to remove most of the fonts in the file for some unknown

You're getting the error message probably because you're trying to remove
fonts while in a Standard user account (which you should be for your daily
work). Log into a user account with Administrative privileges to do this.
You'll still get a UAC prompt.

Unofficial but useful list of fonts in Vista -
http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2007/02/06/1607855.aspx

How to uninstall fonts in Vista (from Windows Help)

1. Open Fonts by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button,
clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then
clicking Fonts.

2. Click the font that you want to uninstall. To select more than one font
at a time, press and hold down CTRL while you click each font.

3. On the File menu, click Delete. (If you don?t see the File menu, press
ALT.)

Malke

Gordon

Malke said:
You're getting the error message probably because you're trying to remove
fonts while in a Standard user account (which you should be for your daily
work). Log into a user account with Administrative privileges to do this.
You'll still get a UAC prompt.

Unofficial but useful list of fonts in Vista -
http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2007/02/06/1607855.aspx

And if someone sends the OP a document using a Vista font that he's deleted,
what happens then?

Malke

Gordon said:
And if someone sends the OP a document using a Vista font that he's
deleted, what happens then?

Then one of the substitute fonts will automatically be selected. It's
usually Arial. Besides, worrying about what will happen if the OP deletes
fonts until the Heat Death Of The Universe isn't my job. ;-) S/He asked; I
answered.

Malke

Randall Flagg

Then one of the substitute fonts will automatically be selected. It's
usually Arial. Besides, worrying about what will happen if the OP deletes
fonts until the Heat Death Of The Universe isn't my job. ;-) S/He asked; I
answered.

Malke

GOOD for YOU!! ;-)

+Bob+

Then one of the substitute fonts will automatically be selected. It's
usually Arial. Besides, worrying about what will happen if the OP deletes
fonts until the Heat Death Of The Universe isn't my job. ;-) S/He asked; I
answered.

Malke

Really. BFD. So he doesn't have the font. People who assume others
have some "standard" set of fonts installed aren't thinking the issue
through anyway.

iengine

Well, the problem is that I simply want to get rid of unwanted fonts
and following the procedure I used in XP, I am unable to remove them i
Vista, because Vista refuses to let me.... Sorry, was my first post no
clear?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level