Windows Vista Vista gone mad

Reaction score
Help please...few moments ago I put a CD in my machine to copy to Windows Media Player...CD didn't auto start, so I opened My Computer and was presented with what you see in the image attached...Thing is I have no Floopy Drive in the machine..And nothing is plugged into any of the USB ports..But yet its showing I have a Floppy Drive and Various Removable storage...

Have run Kaspersky and Super A and niether show any sort of threats..

Have rebooted the machine, but all is still showing.....OS = Vista Home SP1

Attachments

• Vista.jpg
    Vista.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 173
Reaction score
Puzzling alright

Looks a bit mad alright....did you try saving anything onto it?? Did you take the cd out to see was it related. My drive does strange things also. It never drives for very long. It just gives bursts of two or three seconds and never wants to stop even when its function has completed but that floppy disc thing is bizarre considering they're dying out(i think).
Lets know how that works out for ya.
nod.gif
Zzzzz

Last edited:
Reaction score
captain zed said:
did you try saving anything onto it??
nod.gif
Zzzzz

The machine doesn't actually have a Floppy drive in it...So can't figure why it is showing that I have one...And the last time something was plugged into any of the USB ports was last week, but have since installed a new hard drive and done a fresh install....
CD/DVD has done this for a while now, even before fresh install..

Reaction score
Why don't you try and save a file to the ghosty drive a see what message ya get from the pc. See does it acknowledge the drive that aint there.

I would .
:nod:

Reaction score
Hmm. Did ya try going to your icon for removable storage and see if ya can remove it by highlighting it and then okaying it??

:nod: Zzzzz

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help or not... but I don't have a floppy drive either, however one shows-up, just as it does on yours. :rolleyes:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Drives capture.JPG
    Drives capture.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 351
Reaction score
Maybe thats just the way Vista is then...I just wonder what all the other removable disks on mine are though..I have nowt plugged in to USB...Ah well bed time and i'll scratch me brain again tomorrow...

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Mine is exactly the opposite. It (e-mail address removed) show the majority of the Devices with Removable Storage. Only the DVD drive and one USB port show up. All the other USB ports used to be there but no longer. :confused:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Computer.JPG
    Computer.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 297

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My Vista install shows a floppy Disk drive but the power lead is disconnected from it, although the data lead is still attached to the motherboard.

Reason being I had to use the floppy drive power connector for my Asus sound card and the other power connecter reaches neither.

If ever I have to reinstall Vista to a RAID setup I'll just swap the power connector briefly from the sound card to the floppy drive then back again.

As for the removable drives, very odd :confused:

Memory card readers, stand alone, integral or as part of another external device such as a printer, will show as a removable drive, do you have any of those?

Reaction score
Had a similer thing with my PC. Device Manager shows a Floppy Drive and I havent even got one! :confused: not sure if my case can even have a Floppy. But the Mobo has the FDD header. I ended up just disabling the device.

Many thanks for the advice Wiz - and I didn't even ask the question lol.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, I wondered about changing the bios myself, will have to try that, although it's not a biggie as far as I'm concerned.

FWIW, it's not peculiar to Vista, it's just the same in XP as well.

This is from my media machine, XP Pro, no floppy drive at all:

attachment.php

Attachments

• drives.jpg
    drives.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 196
Reaction score
Thanks guys..Well I sorted the Removable storage bit..Just right clicked and pressed eject and they all vanished..Can only assume one of the sprogs have been on pc while I have been out and not ejected their card readers properly, although they will deny all knowlege of this..

As for the Floppy, its still there..Not of any real concern mind..I'll have a look in BIOS and disable it later..:thumb:

Reaction score
Some pc you have

Taffycat said:
Not sure if this will help or not... but I don't have a floppy drive either, however one shows-up, just as it does on yours. :rolleyes:

attachment.php
Hi Taffycat,
Just how many USB ports do you have exactly??I counted eight and i also noticed ya have two dvd drives....are you a spy??LOL
Only joking.
:wave: Zzzzz

Reaction score
Lads this just isnt fair...i want a fake floppy drive on my list as well.....theyre all the rage these days it seemsLOL
Midday madness
Zzzzz

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi Taffycat,
Just how many USB ports do you have exactly??I counted eight and i also noticed ya have two dvd drives....are you a spy??LOL
Only joking.
:wave: Zzzzz

lol if you counted 8, in theory Taffs could have 1024 different USB devices plugged in...lots a lil listening and video'ing devices......Chr*st I been watching to much gadget show...:p

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Yes, I wondered about changing the bios myself, will have to try that, although it's not a biggie as far as I'm concerned.

FWIW, it's not peculiar to Vista, it's just the same in XP as well.

This is from my media machine, XP Pro, no floppy drive at all:

attachment.php
Hi Flops,
I take it from your picture you have 3 paritions in your hard drive....would i be right. I'm just about to partition my hard drive(when i get home from work) and i was glad to see that everybody is doin it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi Flops,
I take it from your picture you have 3 paritions in your hard drive....would i be right. I'm just about to partition my hard drive(when i get home from work) and i was glad to see that everybody is doin it.

Uh, nope actually.

I have 2 x Samsung 500Gb HDD's. The first has a 25Gb partition on it to take the OS (C Drive 'Perseus' in the pic).

I used Partition Magic 8 to form the partition and I've used Acronis True Image 10 to back up the OS to a folder on Drive G.

The OS backup, movies and music are all backed up to an external 1Tb HDD, a Samsung again, connected via USB to the disk housed within an external Akasa caddy.

So now you know :)

Ask a Question