Vista General

Zygy

The last few times my postings to Vista General did not appear as the title
should in red although I was informed that it did appear to everyone else,
including the answers, which I did not get. How can I correct this error?

Mike Brannigan

Zygy said:
The last few times my postings to Vista General did not appear as the
title should in red although I was informed that it did appear to everyone
else, including the answers, which I did not get. How can I correct this
error?

Well Zygy, since you appear to be a Microsoft employee by your public use of
your e-mail alias can I suggest you contact your local ITG desk for support.
Also can I suggest that you check out your country subsidiary web site
(msweb) about Microsoft staff posting externally and the appropriate e-mail
address you are supposed to use for public posts to avoid increasing the
load on the edge spam filters and potentially overloading your mail box with
junk mail.

Zygy

Your cleverness mislaid you this time. I am not a Microsoft employee, I am
just an ignorant self taught user who needs help, which it would appear you
do not want to give. Thanks! (This goes for the other reply as well)

Peter Foldes

LOL. If you only understood what Mike understood. I did and sent a smile back as
answer to his post

Mike Brannigan

Zygy said:
Your cleverness mislaid you this time. I am not a Microsoft employee, I am
just an ignorant self taught user who needs help, which it would appear
you do not want to give. Thanks! (This goes for the other reply as well)

Then stop using a @microsoft.com e-mail in your posts. - since this is not
your e-mail domain. Either use a guaranteed invalid one such as
Zygy@localhost (no dot com on it) or something else - but ensure that if you
use anything that looks like a valid address you check to ensure that the
domain name does not exist and is not registered to someone else as using it
if it is a actually unlawful under a number of countries statues as this is
tantamount to digital impersonation. Anyway your use of an @microsoft.com
address is just adding to the massive amount of junk mail that the external
filters at Microsoft have to cope with.
As regards your newsgroup posts - an initial post may take some time to
appear in your reader even if you were the originator of the thread or post.
If you feel that a post you have made is not showing in your client then you
can always force a download of the as yet not visible headers in your client
(you appear to be using Windows Mail - so Tools ... Get Net nnnn Headers),
or you could just drop the newsgroup and re add it to your client.

Zygy

The @microsoft.com was there when I set up the new Windows Vista and since
this is not my proper email address, which is nothing like this and it ends
with my server's name I do not propose to change it.
With regard to the solution to the problem none of the options in Tools,
which I tried before work! I still cannot see any of my postings to Vista
General! So, since you seem to be an expert who knows it all what is the
solution?

Mike Brannigan

Zygy said:
The @microsoft.com was there when I set up the new Windows Vista and since
this is not my proper email address, which is nothing like this and it
ends with my server's name I do not propose to change it.
With regard to the solution to the problem none of the options in Tools,
which I tried before work! I still cannot see any of my postings to Vista
General! So, since you seem to be an expert who knows it all what is the
solution?

I would be more than happy to help you if you showed the smallest piece of
common sense and stopped using a @microsoft.com e-mail address as this is
doing nothing except allowing the bots that scan newsgroups for e-mail
addresses to add to junk mailing lists to pick up the one you are using then
add to the millions of junk mails Microsoft has to filter out everyday. If
you had read my previous post properly you would have seen that no one was
asking you to use your real e-mail address, just not to use one that is
causing the real owner of the domain you are using (in this case
microsoft.com) to have to deal with the junk YOU have caused.
As regards your problem - have you removed the group from your newsreader
and deleted the cached copy of the file (it is not always removed by simply
removing the group from the UI, and then adding the group back in again, or
trying an alternative news server to view the group and tried to post etc to
see what happens, since it looks like you are using the BT news servers -
try the originating msews.microsoft.com news server).
--
Mike Brannigan

Zygy said:
The @microsoft.com was there when I set up the new Windows Vista and since
this is not my proper email address, which is nothing like this and it
ends with my server's name I do not propose to change it.
With regard to the solution to the problem none of the options in Tools,
which I tried before work! I still cannot see any of my postings to Vista
General! So, since you seem to be an expert who knows it all what is the
solution?

R. C. White

Hi, Mike - and Zygy.

Small but critical typo in that last line:
try the originating msews.microsoft.com news server).

Zygy, just click here:

That one click should bring you right back here - but connected directly to
the Microsoft public news server, which is free and does not require you to
log on.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Zygy

Hi, Thank you for the suggestion, but when I clicked on the link nothing
happened. When I copy/pasted it on the IT8 nothing happened either. What do
I do wrong?

R. C. White

Hi, Zygy.

Well, it didn't work for me, either, just now. I forgot that there are a
few exceptions to that rule. :^{

It didn't work for me simply because I was already at "You are here!" WLM
was already running, I already had this News Account and I was already
reading THIS newsgroup. So I tried another way: I copied that link, shut
down WLM, pasted the link into the address bar of IE8 and clicked the Go
arrow - and I'm back here again. ;<)

I often start my "just click here" line with the caveat, "Unless blocked by
something like a corporate firewall..." Some IT departments don't like
their computers to access Usenet (especially during working hours). Are you
in an office environment, or at home (like me)?

Some malware protection programs block the ability to follow links in emails
and news posts. This protects newbies, but it can also block veterans who
haven't changed their settings. What are you using for this?

Since you obviously are running Windows Mail, you should already have a News
Account for the Microsoft public news server; look in Tools | Accounts under
News. It may be listed as "Microsoft Communities" or "Microsoft Discussion
Groups" or "Microsoft Public Newsgroups". This account was created by
default when you installed Vista, which included Windows Mail. If it is
still there, then all you need do is subscribe to this newsgroup.

But if the account has disappeared, you can easily recreate it. Just go to
Tools | Accounts and click Add | Newsgroup Account. For "Server", enter
msnews.microsoft.com; the defaults should be fine for all other properties.
Once this account is created, it should automatically download the list of
2000+ available newsgroups. You can subscribe to as few or as many as you
like; be sure to get this one.

If you get lost along the way, post back.

Or keep using your current news server. Many servers simply "slurp" the
messages from here and relay them - with any responses - back and forth.
Trouble is, messages can be delayed, out of sequence, or simply lost in
transit. So a direct connection is best, but certainly not the only way.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Zygy

Hi, I cannot install a new Newsgroup Account, because I need the Internet
News Server's Name (NNTP) and the telephone operator of my Broadband
provider does not understand what I am taking about! (he is not English).
When I entered the name of my IP I used when setting up the Windows Mail
(which you correctly assumed was used to set up my Microsoft Communities)
the download of the newsgroups could not continue, because there was no
connection.

You gave me very sensible advice for which I thank you and I will try to get
the NNTP from my provider by sending a complaint email.

Mike Brannigan

Zygy said:
Hi, I cannot install a new Newsgroup Account, because I need the Internet
News Server's Name (NNTP) and the telephone operator of my Broadband
provider does not understand what I am taking about! (he is not English).
When I entered the name of my IP I used when setting up the Windows Mail
(which you correctly assumed was used to set up my Microsoft Communities)
the download of the newsgroups could not continue, because there was no
connection.

You gave me very sensible advice for which I thank you and I will try to
get the NNTP from my provider by sending a complaint email.

All you need do is add a new newsgroup account to your news reader.

Tools ... Accounts ... Add... Newsgroup Account
Then fill in your Display name and e-mail address - this time don't be idiot
and use an @microsoft.com address - I know it says example of that type -
BUT IT IS JUST AN EXAMPLE and you should use an appropriately invalid one as
I mentioned in my first mail.
Then when asked for the news group server NNTP name just enter the name of
ANY news server you wish, Your ISP may have one or you can use the
Microsoft ones directly (msnew.microsoft.com or news.microsoft.com)
or use any other you like from the many out there - a quick search on a
search engine for public news servers will provide you lists of them.
Of if you tell us who your ISP is we can tell you which to use.
But do everyone a favor first and change your illegitimate use of an
@microsoft.com address in the current set up to something more sensible.

R. C. White

Hi, Zygy.
Hi, I cannot install a new Newsgroup Account, because I need the Internet
News Server's Name (NNTP)

For this Microsoft public news server, the name is simply:

msnews.microsoft.com

That should work from anywhere in the world.

This is Microsoft's public server for NNTP (News Network Transfer Protocol),
which is Usenet. It is NOT email! And it is not the WWW (World Wide Web),
which uses HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol). So it will do you no good to
put your mail server or ISP's URL into the News Account setup.

The frustrating part of this is that every Vista package comes with this
News Account already set up! All you have to do is click Start | Email.
UNLESS you've changed it. New Vista users from China to Timbuktu can access
the Microsoft Public Newsgroups simply by (a) installing Vista and then (b)
click Start | Mail. That starts Windows Mail, the built-in program that
handles BOTH mail and news. Once WM is running, click the Newsgroup icon at
the bottom of the left column. The News Account for this news server should
already be set up, ready to use.

All you have to do is tell it who YOU are - and, as Mike says, do NOT say
you are "(e-mail address removed)"! Microsoft doesn't like that - and neither
will your friends who try to Reply to your email. And neither will you,
because you'll never get your mail; some computer at Microsoft will get it
and destroy it. Just put "Zygy" in the Name box and YOUR email address
([email protected] ? ) in the Email address box. Yes, do put your EMAIL
address in these settings for your NEWS account.
the telephone operator of my Broadband provider does not understand what I
am taking about! (he is not English). When I entered the name of my IP I
used when setting up the Windows Mail

We need to clarify some basic Internet terminology here. Your "IP" is your
Internet Protocol address, and, like a telephone number, it consists only of
numerals, never a name. I'm not much good at the technical side of this,
but your IP might be 86.168.183.28, which might be the "phone number" of a
particular computer somewhere in the UK, probably in your ISP's office in
your hometown. Your Broadband Provider might be BTCentralPlus - but I'm
really just guessing about that. MAYBE your email address is:
(e-mail address removed)

You'll have to ask your ISP (Internet Service Provider), the one you call
your Broadband provider. And even if the support person is not English, if
you ask the right questions using the right terminology, you'll probably get
the right answers. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Zygy

I am currently using msnews.microsoft.com for Microsoft Communities news and
to get the Windows.Vista.General from a different source I need as you well
know an NNTP. My ISP's (British Telecom) one is being currently used for
Mail,but when I entered it I got a Notice stating that there was no
connection for the download. So what other provider's name do I enter to get
Windows.Vista.General? Sorry to be so dim but as a 91yo self taught user it
is probably my age!

Zygy said:
I am currently using msnews.microsoft.com for Microsoft Communities news
and to get the Windows.Vista.General from a different source I need as you
well know an NNTP. My ISP's (British Telecom) one is being currently used
for Mail,but when I entered it I got a Notice stating that there was no
connection for the download. So what other provider's name do I enter to
get Windows.Vista.General? Sorry to be so dim but as a 91yo self taught
user it is probably my age!

My last post included what to search for on your favorite search engine to
find a list of public news server NNTP names.
The BT news server is called news.btinternet.com you should be able to use
that one as it is your own ISPs.
Otherwise just search for one as I have already posted.
Oh and change your display e-mail name - you may be 91 but that does not
excuse you refusing to do the right thing and stop impersonating a Microsoft
employee and causing unnecessary junk mail to be sent to the Microsoft
servers
--

Mike Brannigan

Zygy

News.btinternet.com does not have any of the windows.vista. titles, although
it has all the many windowsxp titles. Which other news provider will have
windows vista titles do you think? The downloading of all the news titles
takes a long time!

R. C. White

Hi, Zygy.

News.btinternet.com probably includes all or a very large portion of the
hundreds of thousands of newsgroups available on Usenet. My own ISP's news
server, news.grandecom.net, offers more than 100,000 of them! These servers
"mirror" news servers all over the world so that we don't have to connect to
each one separately. We usually don't know or care which news server
actually hosts or originates a particular newsgroup. These mirrors just
"slurp" messages from the host(s) and relay them - and any responses - back
and forth. But the relay process can result in replies that are late or out
of sequence or simply lost. So we get the best, fastest, most dependable
access when we know the host server for a particular newsgroup and create an
account for ourselves on that server.

Thus, msnews.microsoft.com offers only the ones that are actually HOSTED by
the Microsoft public news server. There are currently about 2300 of those,
including hundreds in languages other than English
(microsoft.public.jp.publisher, in Japanese, and
microsoft.public.it.outlookexpress, in Italian, for a couple of examples).

You access the Microsoft server the same way you do the BT server. Just
substitute msnews.microsoft.com for news.btinternet.com when you are
creating the News Account.

I just turned 74 this month. I plan (and hope) to be still active in
Newsgroups when I'm 91! Look for me online then. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Bill Daggett

R. C. White said:
I just turned 74 this month. I plan (and hope) to be still active in
Newsgroups when I'm 91! Look for me online then. ;<)

I will turn 66 in October... and that's as old as I want to be.

R. C. White

Hi, Bill.

Are you sure? There's only one alternative.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX