VirusScan Installation error

AR

I have a new Dell XPS with XP Pro. I tried to install McAfee VirusScan 7.0
and get the following windows error:

Error 1931: Cannot update system file c:\windows\system32\comcal.dll You
need to update tyour operating system.

I have performed all the windows updates and the problem still happens. I
also have installed the McAfee firewall with no problems.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Welcome to McAfee Technical Support!
http://us.mcafee.com/root/support.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"AR" <test.com> wrote in message:

|I have a new Dell XPS with XP Pro. I tried to install McAfee VirusScan 7.0
| and get the following windows error:
|
| Error 1931: Cannot update system file c:\windows\system32\comcal.dll You
| need to update tyour operating system.
|
| I have performed all the windows updates and the problem still happens. I
| also have installed the McAfee firewall with no problems.
|
| Any suggestions?
|
| Thanks in advance.

Rich Barry

When you get the error message can you continue the install or are you
prevented from continuing?

AR

I can continue the install, but when I try to open VirusScan, I get another
error message.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The "comcal.dll" is not a Windows XP file. It may be a remnant of
a virus or spyware file. Scan you PC for both virus and spyware files,
perform a "disk cleanup" and "checkdisk", then try installing McAfee
once again.

You may wish to try the Panda ActiveScan Free Online Scanner.
Just click on the "Scan your PC" box.

Download Ad-Aware 6.0 and scan your PC for spyware:
http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"AR" <test.com> wrote in message:

|I can continue the install, but when I try to open VirusScan, I get another
| error message.

AR

Hi Carey,

I finally did get it to install, but it won't run.

I did all the checking and scanning that you recommended.

Thanks,

Art

Rich Barry

Art, you don't have any other Anti Virus Software on your system? If
not, I would go to Control Panel>
Add/Remove Programs and Uninstall McAfee. Also, go to Start>Run type:
regedit Navigate to
Hkey_Current_User\Software and look for any McAfee.folder entries and
delete them. Same with
Hkey_Local_Machine\Software. Restart and let XP load then restart again
tapping F8 repeatedly until
you get to Start Menu. Select Safe Mode. See if McAfee will install
from there without any problems.

AR

Thanks for your reply,

I did all you said, the program now loads but I get the following error:

VS Main has encountered a problem - the program will close.

This is getting frustrating.

Art

"AR" <test.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Hi Carey,

I finally did get it to install, but it won't run.

I did all the checking and scanning that you recommended.

Thanks,

Art
http://download.com.com/3000-2144-1...fault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

dave

AR said:
Thanks for your reply,

I did all you said, the program now loads but I get the following error:

VS Main has encountered a problem - the program will close.

This is getting frustrating.

Art

http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

I had this problem when I installed xp and then updated mcafee. mcafee help
told me to download the latest superdat file and install that. something to
do with the engine update being 6 months old. anyway no problems now. hope
this helps.

AR

Hi Dave,

Is this superdat update from windows or McAfee? Could you point me in the
right direction.

Thanks,

Art