Virus protection out of date!

Efirmitiv

Hi!
I have a notification bar that say that virus protection is 'Out of date'.
It's Windows security center in Xp windows professional. I'm not so well
into security options which concerns to my laptop, i'm sort of lame.

I think that the cause of this notification is because i didn't installed
windows genuine advantage notification system 3 months ago, i thought it's
very unneccessary and snoopy issue or would be a snoopy tissue on my
computer, i personally find it strange.

When i found out about this out of date virus protection i went onto
microsoft update page where were some else uninstalled optional programs
such as; IE 7.0 (6.0. i find better becuse of habit), update for micr. core
6.0. service pack-xmk services, windows media 11 (i'm installing it now),
microsoft .net frmaework x86, root certificates up, remote desktop conn. for
xp, microsoft base card cryptografic x86, update for wmdrm-enabled media
players ----> what do you suggest to update from this files, there are
descriptions but that don't justify their installation.

Thanks,
With Respect,
Marko Rupcic

TOAO

Its your anti virus program which is what windows is telling you about , You
either need to renew your anti virus subscription definitions or just update
your definitions

Efirmitiv

Yes i have understood this, but don't understand how to it?
When i go onto recommendations the program provides two options; 1.update
one of your installed antivirus programs 2. install new antivirus program

As i have said, i went onto micr.update site and done things from previous
message...but the red 'out of date' warning is still on, there aren't some
particular definitions just for antivirus program, or there are somewhere? I
suspect onto win genuine advan. notification, which seems like a hidden
condition for new antivirus definitions, or maybe something else, what?

Thanks

TOAO

What anti virus software are you using ?

Efirmitiv said:
Yes i have understood this, but don't understand how to it?
When i go onto recommendations the program provides two options; 1.update
one of your installed antivirus programs 2. install new antivirus program

As i have said, i went onto micr.update site and done things from previous
message...but the red 'out of date' warning is still on, there aren't some
particular definitions just for antivirus program, or there are somewhere?
I suspect onto win genuine advan. notification, which seems like a hidden
condition for new antivirus definitions, or maybe something else, what?

Thanks

dfrog

From his headers he's using Avast VPS 000737 - 2 dated 30.04.2007 which
means that his definitions aren't that far out of date. Until today my
definitions were the same. There's an update now to 05.05.2007.

dfrog

PS so that's where you need to look Efirmative!

TOAO

If you are using Avast free edition ? You show set the basic update to "Auto
" this way you don't have to worry about updating the definitions , Also
remember whenever you start up your computer Avast takes a bit of time to
recieve the updates , Allow it some time to do its job

Efirmitiv

I'm using original microsoft antivirus program which is automatically
updated till week ago when it showed 'out of date' definitions, so i'm a
little confused about it.
Am i wrong thinking and connecting it to not installing micr.genuine advance
update software or?

Efirmitiv

Thanks for previous answers TOAO and dfrog!
Don't know where to look up for version of micr.antivirus software, but it
can be concluded through the fact that this warning began week ago, so the
antivirus definitions are from that period, if it helps!?

dfrog

Marko,

Take a look at this Microsoft Website and you will see that Microsoft don't
do an AntiVirus software, but they do have 'AntiVirus Partners', and yours
is listed (Avast by Alwil).

http://www.microsoft.com/security/partners/antivirus.asp

I picked up on your Avast AntiVirus from your original post here.

What happens with Windows Security Centre is that it can monitor your
AntiVirus software and warn you when the 'definitions' become out of date.
Your comment that you got this warning a week ago figures (from your
original post - Avast VPS 000737-2 30.04.2007 - - a week ago date). For some
reason your Avast Antivirus did not automatically update and Windows told
you. (unusually though, I did notice a 5 day period of no updates 30th April
to 5th May)

You need to open Avast (you'll find it on your system somewhere - I have an
icon 'on screen' from where I open Avast) and from the Menu select
'Updating' and follow that procedure through, this will update your
AntiVirus definitions and solve the problem you have.

Hope this helps

dfrog

Stuart B

Yes i have understood this, but don't understand how to it?
When i go onto recommendations the program provides two options; 1.update
one of your installed antivirus programs 2. install new antivirus program

As i have said, i went onto micr.update site and done things from previous
message...but the red 'out of date' warning is still on, there aren't some
particular definitions just for antivirus program, or there are somewhere? I
suspect onto win genuine advan. notification, which seems like a hidden
condition for new antivirus definitions, or maybe something else, what?

Thanks

Which Anti-Virus programme are you running ?

Efirmitiv

Thanks dfrog. Problem solved. It's true, the antivirus program is integrated
into microsoft security center, but it's not microsoft antivirus, it's
mcfffe antivirus prog, anyway problem solved-thank you very much!

Marko

dfrog

Pleased you've got it solved.
My mistake earlier, from the header information in your original post
From: "Efirmitiv" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Subject: Virus protection out of date!
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 12:14:33 +0200
I realise now that this bottom bit about Avast AntiVirus refered to
'uni-berlin.de' and not your AntiVirus.

regards

dfrog