Virtual Memory

G

I recently reinstalled winows xp on my system. i used the restore disks that came with my laptop. But, since I've installed them, my computer has been a lot slower. i only have 5gb on it and it has a 35gb HD. Also, after the computer has been on for some time, it begins to slow down and a window comes up telling me i'm low on virtual memory. I've tried to increase the virtual memory, but that doesn't seem to work. What should i do? If it's of any help, i have a gateway m505, with a intel mobile processor 1.4ghz and 512 mb RAM.

G

Gerry Cornell

Ernesto

You are now using over 80% of your hard disk capacity. You need more free space.

How is your hard disk formatted? is your File System FAT32 or NTFS? In Windows Explorer right click on your C drive and select Properties.

You could create from space by archiving data files to CD. If you only have one hard drive adding a second is another. If your file system is FAT32 there are further options.

Regular and effective housekeeping is essential. What you do and how often you do it will depend on how you use your computer. A suggested routine may include:

1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup with
Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), and Recycle Bin selected for
deletion. If you have more than one drive / partition you may need to do this operation for
each drive / partition.
4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General, Delete Cookies.
5. Run Disk Defragmenter.

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

R

roger

Hi,

I recently reinstalled winows xp on my system. i used the restore disks that came with my laptop. But, since I've installed them, my computer has been a lot slower. i only have 5gb on it and it has a 35gb HD. Also, after the computer has been on for some time, it begins to slow down and a window comes up telling me i'm low on virtual memory. I've tried to increase the virtual memory, but that doesn't seem to work. What should i do? If it's of any help, i have a gateway m505, with a intel mobile processor 1.4ghz and 512 mb RAM.

"Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

Good luck

G

I'm sorry. I meant to say that i am using 5gb of space on a 35gb HD. I have 80% of my HD free. My HD is formatted NTFS. So, i don't why i am running low on virtual memory. I have 30gb of space left on my HD. I am only using 5gb.

G

Gerry Cornell

Ernesto

What programmes are you using when the low virtual memory message appears? Can you also post the precise text of the message and as this may suggest a particular cause.

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

G

It can be any program that i can be running in the background. My system starts to slow down after it has been on for a period of time longer than 30 minutes. I opened the Windows task Manager, and it shows that my PF usage steadily increases. It reaches 1.13GB. Under processes, i have four prgrams named 'svchost.exe.'. One is under 'User Name' 'Local Service'. The other one under 'Network Service' and the reaminaing two under 'System'. The one under Local Service seems to be using up a lot of memory. It uses up 300,000K - 315,000K. What are these files? And can i end their process?

As for the message that is displayed when the windows alert comes out:

"Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low" I copied down the exact message, but then i ran out of time here and everything i had previously written was erased.

I also wanted to ask about de-partitioning my computer. Someone told me that if i erase all partitions but one, before re-installing windows and then reinstall windows onto that one partition, i can get rid of this problem. How safe is that? And can it affect my system further? Or will it just ruin my whole system?

G

It can be any program that i can be running in the background. My system starts to slow down after it has been on for a period of time longer than 30 minutes. I opened the Windows task Manager, and it shows that my PF usage steadily increases. It reaches 1.13GB. Under processes, i have four prgrams named 'svchost.exe.'. One is under 'User Name' 'Local Service'. The other one under 'Network Service' and the reaminaing two under 'System'. The one under Local Service seems to be using up a lot of memory. It uses up 300,000K - 315,000K. What are these files? And can i end their process?

As for the message that is displayed when the windows alert comes out:

"Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low" I copied down the exact message, but then i ran out of time here and everything i had previously written was erased.

I also wanted to ask about de-partitioning my computer. Someone told me that if i erase all partitions but one, before re-installing windows and then reinstall windows onto that one partition, i can get rid of this problem. How safe is that? And can it affect my system further? Or will it just ruin my whole system?

G

Gerry Cornell

Ernesto

You need to find out more what is using the "Local Service". Instead of
using the Windows Task Manager try Process Explorer as it gives a little
more information and can help you identify more easily what is going on.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

Another approach to the same problem. How good is your security? Do you
have a Firewall? Excessive use of the "Local Service" could be an
indication that you have a nasty virus or spyware. You should update
your virus definitions and run full anti-virus scan. If you do not have
an anti-virus programme installed you can run a free scan from the
internet. Try this link:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and
update Reference file from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
and use it to remove parasites.

Some spyware can be difficult to detect. The suggestions above can find
the problem but you may need to go further if they do not.

The virtual memory messages are I suspect arising because the system is
needing to temporarily increase the size of your virtual memory.
Therefore the solution is to find out what is creating the demand for
more virtual memory.

The partitioning of your hard drive may have nothing to do with your
present problem. Can you provide details of the size of each partition
and how much free space is available in each partition. You can get this
information by right clicking each partition e.g C partition in Windows
Explorer and selecting Properties. Please indicate the general nature
of the contents of each partition and where your pagefile.sys ( virtual
memory ) file is located.

Good luck.

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.