Virtual Memory too Low?

So I go to save my video that I've just made. Its about 9 and a half minutes
and comprised of about 115 short clips. Some of which are reapted. And it
has about...25 title thingys. I noticed when I compiled/saved previous
versions of this movie that were shorter there was a huge jump in the amount
of RAM and virtual memory that was being used. Infact, I had to increase my
Virtual Memory vastly just to get the previous versions to compile. Right
now my Virutal memory is maxing out at about 3500 MB! When I go to compile
it I watch the virtual memory used skyrocketing but stoping around 1.8 gigs,
setteling at about 1.2 gigs and then a few minutes later WMM gives me the
standard "Can't save this, check the locatation...blah blah blah." All the
clips were compressed using the Microsoft MPEG-4 Codec and I don't think any
of them go above 20 MB...if even that. And according to WMM the file size
when done should only be about 80 MB. So whats with the huge spike in
Virtual memory use and why won't my movie save?

Mpegs don't work well in Movie Maker. You need to convert those clips to
AVI, or WMV, or a compatible format. I use AVS Converter ($29.95) but there
are other ways to convert also....check out PapaJohn's site on formats and
saving movies.
Read other questions and comments on here and you'll likely see the solution
also.
Good luck.

John Kelly

Hello,

You may be able to get a free converter from www.videohelp.com/convert. A
site generally considered the best in the world on video matters

--
John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org

Rehan

Interesting! Please specify the article reference too.

Just wondering how would one make the transition length equal to clip B
length ? It seems that it would always stay somewhat less. If you try to
drag it further to increase the overlap in TImeline View, it will just swap
places from clip A. Can you achieve it?

--
Rehan
MS MVP -- Digital Media

May not necessarily be related to this, but it could be. So might be worth
checking.

Save Movie Wizard
"Cannot Complete the Save Movie Wizard"
"Your movie was not saved successfully."

"Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location.
Verify that the original source files used in your movie are still
available, that the saving location is still available, and that there is
enough free disk space available, and then try again."

Summary

Some times when a transition is applied between two video clips (A & B) in
which the transition is equal in length to second video clip (B), or perhaps
either or both clips (A and/or B), saving as DV-AVI (NTSC) will fail. Once
this occurs Windows Movie Maker will most likely need to be shutdown and
restarted. Also it may cause problems with the Windows Movie Maker project
and require inconvenient measures to recover.

Trigger

Transition with length equal to video clip B. Or perhaps A and/or B.

Reproducibility

This issue seems to be video clip length dependent in that it works with the
same clips if they are a certain length. For instance the two video clips
used to produce the above message for the screen capture where A 3.47
seconds and B 2.93 seconds with a fade transition of 2.93 seconds. But they
worked fine as A 4.00 seconds, B 3.00 seconds, and fade transition of 3.00
seconds.

Have not been able to reproduce using still images as clips A & B.

Recovery

One of the following two methods may be necessary in order to save the movie
as DV-AVI (NTSC). Though neither method is guaranteed to be necessary or
successful.

Method 1:

1) Shutdown Windows Movie Maker. A runtime error will likely be
displayed.

2) Reopen the Windows Movie Maker project

3) Make sure there are no transitions equal in length with either
associated clip (A/B). If there are make the transition slightly shorter.

4) Save the Windows Movie Maker project.

5) Close Windows Movie Maker.

6) Reopen the Windows Movie Maker project.

7) Try saving movie to DV-AVI (NTSC) again

Method 2:

1) Perform steps 1 through 6 of method 1 above.

2) Click on the first clip in the time-line.

3) Select each of the clips in the timeline - Click on the first clip
in the time-line, then hold the <Ctrl> key and click on each of the rest of
the clips in the time-line. (Do not use select all methods, (Ctrl-A, Shift
Click, etc.)

4) Copy - Hold the <Ctrl> key and press the C key.

5) Close Windows Movie Maker.

6) Open Windows Movie Maker.

7) Past to the time-line - Hold the <Ctrl> key and press the P key.

8) Try saving movie to DV-AVI (NTSC) again.

Copyright © 2005, Al Stu (2348410). All Rights Reserved.

John Kelly

LOL or Ouch !!!!!

Nah lets make it
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I don't quite know how to say this, people are going to think I am posting
messages using your name....Cracking reply.

--
John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
Truthfully, I am not an Instant Expert, But I know someone who is going to
have to try a LOT harder
\|||/
(oo)
----------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

Al Stu - MVP

Yea, well you'd better cut-it-out before I sick the MVP's (Microsoft Virtual
Police) on ya.

BTW, looks like they censored my reply. Which is really too sad, sad than
sad the tears of a clown, because I thought it was hilarious, if I do say so
myself. But even so, not half as hilarious as an "MS-MVP -- Digital Media"
asking those questions.

The cliché, "there is no such thing as a stupid/dumb question" has just been
proven wrong. See there your nemesis is good for something after all.

JK

Hello,