virtual memory minimum too low

G

I am getting an error message of "virtual memory minimum too low" whenever I use ANY APPLICATIONS except really simple ones like solitaire. I can't sign onto internet - or run virus scanner - or open any of my microsoft programs.

Example - I open virus scan and start it up - everything is VERY SLOW - startup / program loading / etc. When I try to do a virus scan the application will load up slowly and scan will get through about 20,000 files and then get message and close the applicatoin. Does the same when I try to sign onto AOL - will start loading and then close up.

I have a 2 year old Dell and download from the internet semi-regularly. I have antivirus programs which I keep up to date and run full system scan weekly. Have gotten viruses in the past - but always fixed them or quarantined.

I am very frustrated as I am borrowing my mother's computer now to sign onto this site. I have been without a computer for over a week and it is very prohibitive to my professional life.

Everything was working fine til a little over a week ago when I was online and I signed off - the computer was still logged onto aol via my phone line even after I shut down the application. Ever since - I've been having this problem.

Do I need to get a new computer - or is this more likely an easy fix?

What should I be doing to fix it. I just need to get a computer back into my life. I am pretty dependant on use of my computer

Thanks

Jake

D

dev

/Jake/ said:
I am getting an error message of "virtual memory minimum too low"
whenever I use ANY APPLICATIONS except really simple ones like
solitaire. I can't sign onto internet - or run virus scanner - or open
any of my microsoft programs.

Example - I open virus scan and start it up - everything is VERY SLOW -
startup / program loading / etc. When I try to do a virus scan the
application will load up slowly and scan will get through about 20,000
files and then get message and close the applicatoin. Does the same
when I try to sign onto AOL - will start loading and then close up.

I have a 2 year old Dell and download from the internet semi-regularly.
I have antivirus programs which I keep up to date and run full system
scan weekly. Have gotten viruses in the past - but always fixed them
or quarantined.

I am very frustrated as I am borrowing my mother's computer now to sign
onto this site. I have been without a computer for over a week and it
is very prohibitive to my professional life.

Everything was working fine til a little over a week ago when I was
online and I signed off - the computer was still logged onto aol via my
phone line even after I shut down the application. Ever since - I've
been having this problem.

Do I need to get a new computer - or is this more likely an easy fix?

What should I be doing to fix it. I just need to get a computer back
into my life. I am pretty dependant on use of my computer.

http://WWW.MICROSOFT.COM/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/northrup/restoreperf.asp

For memory problems, visit... http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

G

You've had XP for two years and don't know how to change your pagefile(virtual memory)? start\control panel\system\advanced tab\performance-settings button\advanced tab\virtual memory-change button and set it to whatever you want. In your case I would recommend setting this to system managed size. Then learn to do some cleanup. Defrag, run cleanmgr, run error checking, get a good registry cleaner(tons of free ones out there) get a good spyware\adware remover(also lots of free ones) and have some fun. {:~)

Ask a Question