virtual memory low

spuser

How can i manage to solve the problem with "virtual memory low" in xp with a
legacy application (16bits), what files i need to configure, i have read
some web pages about this issue but my problem still here, anybody knows a
correct configuration of: autoexec.bat/nt? config.sys/nt? config.ini?
environment vars? compatibility mode? page file sizing?

When page file grow to 1.2 gb (i have 768mb ram, pag ini=1152, pag
max=2304), system run slow and application appear to hang up. then "virtual
memory low" message appear

Thanks in advance for help

Carlos

db

you have not configured xp
for that particular program.

the 1.2 gigs of virtual ram
you mentioned and found
is an inappropriate level.

firstly, the virtual memory is configured
via control panel > system > advanced tab>
performance button> advanced tab> virtual mem button
and set it to a fixed size as i suggested previously.

secondly, you have not mentioned
what 16 bit program you installed and
may not be compatiable with winxp.

you should no longer have
to fiddle with those system files
you mentioned unless your an expert.
however, in this case your operating
system winxp is the expert.

for older programs there is a feature to set
it to run in a mode that is compatiable
by right clicking on the icon and selecting
properties.

- db

How can i manage to solve the problem with "virtual memory low" in xp with a
legacy application (16bits), what files i need to configure, i have read
some web pages about this issue but my problem still here, anybody knows a
correct configuration of: autoexec.bat/nt? config.sys/nt? config.ini?
environment vars? compatibility mode? page file sizing?

When page file grow to 1.2 gb (i have 768mb ram, pag ini=1152, pag
max=2304), system run slow and application appear to hang up. then "virtual
memory low" message appear

Thanks in advance for help

Carlos

spuser

Hi, thanks db for read but... there in no solution in your reply, i need to
know a combination of all that variables i mentioned. The 16 bits program is
an accounting application we use in work, it works with dbf and fox/fivewin
to bring windows GUI. I'm not a newbie in windows so no problem to modify
that system files.

Thanks for your time., i'm awaiting additional help. If anybody know a
configuration that works, i'll appreciate to give me a hand.

Carlos
"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
[...]

ok, you're welcome.

as a suggestion you might
want to create a new thread
with a more specific identification
referencing a problem with fox pro..

that way it will catch the eye of an
expert in the peculiarities with
the program instead of a
generalize virtual memory problem....

notwithstanding, you might want
to see if there is a patch or download
from the fox pro website that is
required for winxp...

- db
"spuser" <lecalett9(ArrobA)hotmail(PuntO)com> wrote in message Hi, thanks db for read but... there in no solution in your reply, i need to
[...]

mikeyhsd

how about changing the setting to SYSTEM MANAGED and clicking the SET button and see if it fixes the problem.
it is not uncommon to run in to problem when you restrict the page file size.

(e-mail address removed)