Virtual Machine and NTFS

John John - MVP

No. I'm telling you that Adobe CS3 knows how to write to FAT32 volumes
and that it automatically creates output files of 4 gb each as it's
writing to the drive.

Don't be so juvenille about this.

No, this is more of your BS and obfuscation to try to make readers
believe that the 4GB file size limit is a non issue on FAT32 and that
creating multiple segments is your elegant way around the problem!

John

glee

John John - MVP said:
Wow! How absolutely unbeleivable! Now you are telling us that you
broke the binary limits of the FAT32 file system! The BS never
stops...what next?

Actually, what he said in another later reply (so as to obfuscate the
issue, as usual) was that a feature of Adobe Premier CS3 automatically
saved the large video file as a group of smaller files that were each
under 4GB. This is typical 98 Guy "debating" tactics, to leave out
relevant info till later, to alter his statements, to throw in
irrelevant info to obfuscate.

I've read this argument over and over every time he decides to re-hash
it, and he apparently likes to waste time re-hashing it regularly even
though we've all read it before many times. He likes to argue for the
sake of argument...it's not debating. With his "200 years of computer
experience", he considers himself much more knowledgeable than anyone
here. I believe the correct term for him is "wanker".

John John - MVP

We have an NT-4 SERVER running an IIS website.

A log file of web-server hits is created daily. At the end of each day,
the current log file is closed and the next log file is opened.

I can access these log files on our local LAN, and I can even copy an
image of the current log file from the NT4 server to my machine.

Every time there was a power failure, not only would ALL the data in the
current log file be replaced with nulls after the server was rebooted,
but so too was the data in the 14 previous-days log files. Their file
size was not altered or changed - but all the data they contained was
replaced by nulls.

A fine example of NTFS journalling.

Well this is plainly simple, it is a testament to your incompetence and
ineptitude that you would be running an outdated program on an outdated
operating system that runs an old, different and completely outdated
NTFS version! This problem was corrected on Windows 2000...

John

glee

mm said:
Pro, it appears. That was what was on this DELL before the HD failed
and he gave me the computer and the CD's that came with it.

I would rather have newer! Thanks.

I read, probably in the wikip entry for this, that it was free for a
while after MS bought it, but it also gavem me the impression it
wasn't anymore. No time now to go reread it. I'm happy to have the
new version.

Thanks.

It's been free since Microsoft bought it, AFAIK.

glee

Philo Pastry said:
We have an NT-4 SERVER running an IIS website.

A log file of web-server hits is created daily. At the end of each
day,
the current log file is closed and the next log file is opened.

I can access these log files on our local LAN, and I can even copy an
image of the current log file from the NT4 server to my machine.

Every time there was a power failure, not only would ALL the data in
the
current log file be replaced with nulls after the server was rebooted,
but so too was the data in the 14 previous-days log files. Their file
size was not altered or changed - but all the data they contained was
replaced by nulls.

A fine example of NTFS journalling.

You're running NT4? Why? Is that the only OS you were able to pirate
at the time?
How did you manage to have a power failure issue on the server in the
first place? No one runs a server without a UPS. A power failure that
lasts longer than the UPS can supply should also not be an issue, since
the system would have done a formal shutdown before that, using simple
software that comes with every UPS.

John John - MVP

You're running NT4? Why? Is that the only OS you were able to pirate at
the time?
How did you manage to have a power failure issue on the server in the
first place? No one runs a server without a UPS. A power failure that
lasts longer than the UPS can supply should also not be an issue, since
the system would have done a formal shutdown before that, using simple
software that comes with every UPS.

He only recently acquired and installed NT4, he was posting on the NT4
groups as "NT Guy" not long ago when he first ever saw or used NT4. As
for him not using a UPS after experiencing problems after his first
power failure that is just more of his 200 years of inexperience
showing. He probably mounted his NT4 disk in a later NT machine not
even knowing how this would affect the NT4 NTFS file system...

John

Hot-Text

mm wrote in message I'll say this. At first when win98FE crashed, I would
find files that were missing

It's the Hard Drive going bad, Not the Software win 98 FE .... the Hard
Drive crashed,

To save your win 98 FE and stop the files from missing....
You would need to get a new Hard Drive make one 32 GB partition on it with
a FAT32 system
And Xcopy the 98 FE to the new Hard Drive is the only way to stop the lost
of create!

That How you do the repair to the Hard Drive,

FromTheRafters

You're running NT4? Why? Is that the only OS you were able to pirate at
the time?
:blush:D

How did you manage to have a power failure issue on the server in the
first place? No one runs a server without a UPS. A power failure that
lasts longer than the UPS can supply should also not be an issue, since
the system would have done a formal shutdown before that, using simple
software that comes with every UPS.

You're talking to someone who apparently believes that W98 is *more* secure
than NT versions because of its immunity to privilege escalation exploits.

Sunny

Hot-Text said:
mm wrote in message I'll say this. At first when win98FE crashed, I
would find files that were missing

It's the Hard Drive going bad, Not the Software win 98 FE .... the Hard
Drive crashed,

To save your win 98 FE and stop the files from missing....
You would need to get a new Hard Drive make one 32 GB partition on it
with a FAT32 system
And Xcopy the 98 FE to the new Hard Drive is the only way to stop the
lost of create!

That How you do the repair to the Hard Drive,

The 32Gb limit can easily be overcome :
http://jacquesbron.com/blog/general/fat-32-formatting-for-external-hard-drives-under-windows/

Sunny

Philo Pastry said:
Simple. Acronis doesn't have the brains to split it's backup files into
4 gb chunks. Which is a useful feature the user might want even if it
was being written to an NTFS volume.

Yes it does, it also called for a new file name to continue.
My decision to have a NTFS partition solved the 4Gb limit and ensued that
the backup files were kept in the same file name.
I have had no trouble with Acronis, except for their version 2010 which
porked my LAN access.
They have provided excellent e-mail support, however I reverted to Version
11 and the LAN became available again.
(They have assured me that the problem has not been reported in their
version 2011)

Hot-Text

you give me a link to info website for hard drives bigger than 32 GB it can
be 1,000,000 GB all I care.
I say to you to make one 32 GB partition on it with a FAT32 system
partition partition partition partition partition partition partition
partition partition
Then Xcopy to the 32 GB partitionon the new 1,000,000 GB hard drive!

We tell you all 32 GB partition for win98

We care not of the size of the Hard Drives

Do you know you can only have one partition on a Hard Drive
And one Extended on the same Hard Drive
But you can have Log up to X

Partition C:\
Extended Log1 D:\
Log 2 E:\
Log 3 F
Log 4 G
Log 5 H
Log 6 I
UP TO
Log 23 x:\

glee

Bill Blanton said:
Actually, MS put it out as retail for a short period of time after
they bought it. I have the book size box and leaflet size manual to
prove it. I think it sold for around $100 ;-/

Ahh...thanks Bill!

mm

you give me a link to info website for hard drives bigger than 32 GB it can
be 1,000,000 GB all I care.
I say to you to make one 32 GB partition on it with a FAT32 system
partition partition partition partition partition partition partition
partition partition
Then Xcopy to the 32 GB partitionon the new 1,000,000 GB hard drive!

You should try XXcopy. It's really good.
We tell you all 32 GB partition for win98

We care not of the size of the Hard Drives

Do you know you can only have one partition on a Hard Drive

I think you can have 4 primary partitions on a hard drive, or 3
primary partitions and one extended one.
And one Extended on the same Hard Drive
But you can have Log up to X

Yes, I know that.

Paul

boomer said:
You might open a terminal and try "xwininfo". Be sure some portion of
your Linux desktop is visible and click on that when prompted to click
on a window. The information will contain the correct width but the
height doesn't take the panels (taskbars) into account. To get their
heights you can xwininfo again and click on some unused area of each
taskbar.

The entire set of X tools are missing :-(

That particular environment is dedicated to a fixed function,
and the emphasis is on keeping the boot CD size to a minimum.
So you don't get 700MB of goodies with it. It's got X for
the desktop, but none of the usual tools. So no xwininfo or
xeyes or xclock or the like.

Paul

Paul

boomer said:
In that case, I'd examine /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Also, if xwininfo doesn't
have any dependencies that aren't already there, you might be able to
extract just that one file from the package and copy it to the VM or run
it from a CD or flash drive. I just checked the size and the binary is
only 23k on my system.

Thanks. I've give /var/log/Xorg.0.log a try, the next time I have it
fired up. There's bound to be some explanation in there, as to what
it's up to.

Paul

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <[email protected]>, Bill
Blanton said:
VPC will run on XP Home, apparently with no problems, but is officially
unsupported. []
VPC additions is a software package that runs as a service in the
virtual OS, and allows for some host to guest integration.
Thanks.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <[email protected]>, (e-mail address removed)
writes:
[]
Use FAT. Why use NTFS for ANYTHING? If you encounter an error on a
FAT partition, you can retrieve everything unless the hard drive
itself fails. If you crash a NTFS partition, kill ALL your data
goodbye, because there is no way to retrieve anything.

Heck, on a FAT partition, you can just stick in a DOS bootdisk and
access all your data. Why make life complicated when there is no
advantage whatsoever to using NTFS. Even if your drive access is a
tiny bit faster with NTFS, is this worth losing everything? I always
tell people who format NTFS that they damn well better backup their
hard drive at least twice every hour, because if a NTFS installation
fails, IT'S OVER.....
Although I feel happier in FAT, the above is just not true; I recently
helped someone with a Vista system on which the HD began to fail. When
popped into an external housing, I was able to access most of the
original files, on two different machines (my XP one, and the original
rebuilt onto its new HD from its recovery DVDs). [And yes, the HD was
definitely failing, it wasn't just file system corruption. SMART
etcetera.]

mm

mm wrote in message I'll say this. At first when win98FE crashed, I would
find files that were missing

It's the Hard Drive going bad,

I gather that is a possibility given the symptoms. But you say it
like it's a certainty. It definitely wasn't the case in the example I
gave. There was a bug in one program I used, where I save outgoing
messages, but they weren't really saved until I closed the program or
closed the outbox. I complained to the author and at first he didnt'
believe me, but later he believed me and he fixed it.
Not the Software win 98 FE .... the Hard
Drive crashed,

There was no harddrive crash. Thanks anyhow.

Hot-Text

True!