Windows XP Virgin (ISP)

Reaction score
My ISP is Virgin through the telephone line into a USB SpeedTouch ADSL External Modem.
Speed just been upgraded my Virgin from average of 2.4Mbps to 3.5-3.9Nbps.
(They seem to have done this for most customers across the UK recently)
Can get on the net OK from early morning upto about 4 to 5pm when everything slows down & stops working.

I have pinged the ISP server at times after 4pm & sometimes i get 25 or 50% losses & sometimes all OK.

So what could the problem be?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just wondering when your ISP's "happy hours" are - in other words, what time does their "off peak" rate begin? I have "EntaTool" running here, and each evening, when off-peak begins, the "centrals" turn from green (meaning they have plenty of capacity) to orange, red or occasionally black (meaning they are almost at full capacity, so expect some slow-downs.) There has been a lot of chat about it on the ISP's forum recently, because some people find it a nuisance when speeds drop due to others downloading copious files. In this instance, more centrals are being brought online, and the off-peak times are being altered too.

Maybe something like this is happening with Virgin, do you you think?

Reaction score
Cheers TC, but it seems that since the 'upgrade' in speed it just gets slower as the day goes by.
May need to contact Virgin but the call costs £££.
Have been thinking of changing ISP so this may help me to change!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I think it's quite a rip off when they charge you an arm and a leg just to phone them. My ISP is a local-rate call. Might be worth a browse if you're looking around... just for comparison, I mean. HERE

Quite a few people like to check-out the forum before they switch - they're pretty good at answering any questions and queries. It's only a one-month contract too, so no hassle in that respect. :thumb:

Reaction score
The main we have is that we ae right at the end of the BT Exchange & the exchange can not go above 4MB.
The upgrade by BT is in Q2 of 2009 if it goes ahead on time, may have to get hold of Virgin to find out more.

We are thinking of switching to Sky as we are already customers for TV etc.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
We were supposed to be upgraded back in May this year to the new 2+ thingy, but BT seemed to have a change of mind, and apparently it won't happen until next year. Having said that, we're lucky enough to have the 8 Mb enabled and I do sometimes get speeds around that figure... although not constantly, of course.

I know a few people with Sky BB and they've been very pleased with it - particularly as they get the added benefit of TV and phonecalls too. A member of the family who is living in deepest, darkest W. Wales is more than pleased with her's. :thumb: Reasonable price too. :nod:

Reaction score
Yep, TC it seems the amount we pay on top of sky to add BB will be less than the £17.99 we pay Virgin.
It really is poor that the service goes down from 4pm onwards, it means that i cant update or report to WCG during this time.

The move can not come sooner!!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Crikey, that is a bit poor, isn't it. Sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing in switching to Sky... good luck with the move, I hope it will be quick and smooth for you :thumb:

Ask a Question