Viewing Forms in ADP


V

virginia

I have a MS Access Project front end with a SQL backend. All users can see
the tables and open them. They can open querries, forms and any macros in
design view (no changes can be made to anything). They can not open the FORMS
in datasheet veiw . The FORMS are going to the table name in Access, when I
shared it in SQL the table names have my username and then the table name.
When I make changes in Access Project, I don't see the same table names as
read-only users. How can I set permissions so all users can see the FORMS?
Nobody needs change permssions, read-only. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated!
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

Sylvain Lafontaine

Not sure of understanding your question.

However, the use of any other owner than dbo. (your username for example)
for your tables and queries can give you a lot of trouble with ADP.

I would suggest that you replace your username with dbo instead; unless you
want to chase a continuously moving target.
 
V

virginia via AccessMonster.com

First off, thanks for the response. I hope I can help clarify what is going
on. We have remote servers and the outsourced IT made the permissions by
using Windows Log on with mine being a read\write and all others read only.
When they did this, it added by username to all of the tables in SQL, not dbo.
How do I change my username to dbo? Will this need to be changed for the
windows log on? Or do they need to set usernames for all individuals who
access the database?

I truely appreciate the information that you have given. Currently we have
all of our databases in Access only and will outgrow them before long and I
want to catch this before it gets to be too large or Access fails.

Thanks!

Sylvain said:
Not sure of understanding your question.

However, the use of any other owner than dbo. (your username for example)
for your tables and queries can give you a lot of trouble with ADP.

I would suggest that you replace your username with dbo instead; unless you
want to chase a continuously moving target.
I have a MS Access Project front end with a SQL backend. All users can see
the tables and open them. They can open querries, forms and any macros in
[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
greatly
appreciated!
 
S

Sylvain Lafontaine

If the account is member of the db_owner role, all objects it will be used
to create will be owned by dbo and will have dbo as their owner. You can
also use any other username as the owner but some of the features of ADP may
not work or will be the cause of problems when other usernames will logon.
Even with dbo, I suggest that you perform the following operations:

1- set the Record Source Qualifier to the username or to dbo (if it is the
username).

2- specify the username. or dbo. at the beginning of the Row Source for
controls who don't have a Record Source Qualifier property.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC
E-mail: http://cerbermail.com/?QugbLEWINF


virginia via AccessMonster.com said:
First off, thanks for the response. I hope I can help clarify what is
going
on. We have remote servers and the outsourced IT made the permissions by
using Windows Log on with mine being a read\write and all others read
only.
When they did this, it added by username to all of the tables in SQL, not
dbo.
How do I change my username to dbo? Will this need to be changed for the
windows log on? Or do they need to set usernames for all individuals who
access the database?

I truely appreciate the information that you have given. Currently we have
all of our databases in Access only and will outgrow them before long and
I
want to catch this before it gets to be too large or Access fails.

Thanks!

Sylvain said:
Not sure of understanding your question.

However, the use of any other owner than dbo. (your username for example)
for your tables and queries can give you a lot of trouble with ADP.

I would suggest that you replace your username with dbo instead; unless
you
want to chase a continuously moving target.
I have a MS Access Project front end with a SQL backend. All users can
see
the tables and open them. They can open querries, forms and any macros
in
[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
greatly
appreciated!
 
Ad

Advertisements

V

virginia via AccessMonster.com

Thank you so much! I was able to get our IT department to give me back dbo
rights (when they tried to set the permissions they removed by dbo rights)
and I started entering in datareader users and it is working great! This is
all still a new process to me, some things are the same as MS Access and
others are not....

Again thank you so much!

Sylvain said:
If the account is member of the db_owner role, all objects it will be used
to create will be owned by dbo and will have dbo as their owner. You can
also use any other username as the owner but some of the features of ADP may
not work or will be the cause of problems when other usernames will logon.
Even with dbo, I suggest that you perform the following operations:

1- set the Record Source Qualifier to the username or to dbo (if it is the
username).

2- specify the username. or dbo. at the beginning of the Row Source for
controls who don't have a Record Source Qualifier property.
First off, thanks for the response. I hope I can help clarify what is
going
[quoted text clipped - 30 lines]
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads

ORDER BY in View and ADP Form 16
ADP and Forms 1
ADP forms 7
Forms with ADP 9
View ADP File 1
Cannot Update View in ADP Form! help! 3
ADP Logon Forms 3
ADP Form Refresh 2

Top