Videos item for Start Menu?

SWWD

We get "Documents", "Music", "Pictures" and now even "Games" items in the
Start Menu, but why is there still not an option to add "Videos" to it? You
basically have every other category of multimedia on the menu except for
"Videos"... why? I know this folder can be accessed via the new
"Home"/"User" item but I can't understand why this item has again been
neglected from being included in the main Start Menu?

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on my test, we cannot move videos to start menu. I suspect this is by
design.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "SWWD" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Videos item for Start Menu?
| Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:29:41 +1000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| We get "Documents", "Music", "Pictures" and now even "Games" items in the
| Start Menu, but why is there still not an option to add "Videos" to it?
You
| basically have every other category of multimedia on the menu except for
| "Videos"... why? I know this folder can be accessed via the new
| "Home"/"User" item but I can't understand why this item has again been
| neglected from being included in the main Start Menu?

It's obviously by design. but what was the reason Microsoft discriminates
against Videos. Shouldn't all multimedia be equal in the eyes of the law.
Does microsoft intend to free these victims of monoculture folders.

NO MORE MY VIDEOS FOLDER - - - Let Videos live where they want!!!!!

Richard Urban

Most people do not know how to change the "file save" path in programs that
they install. They are using, and will continue to, use the programs
default. This can be attested to by the fact that we get many posts from
people who download files from the internet - and can never find them again.
Or how about a classic; "I spent 4 hours typing my term paper and can not
find it now". They don't even note where they are saving documents and files
to - other than it's on their computer **somewhere**.

The Microsoft system suggests, recommends (however you want to state it)
that the files be save to My Videos in XP and Videos in Vista. If the
programs follow this scheme, at least all the files are saved to the same
place. And that place has a relatively easy to find entry point within My
Documents (Windows XP) or Documents (Vista).

If you have a better way to do this, please - enlighten us all. Maybe
Microsoft will take the ball and run with it.

As far as not being able to show Videos directly in the start menu, I agree,
it should be a users option - along with Pictures and Music.

But then again, why not Harry's CAD Drawings or Sally's Homework or Mom's
Recipes? Lets give the user a chance to really clog the start menu -
something that received many thousands of complaints over the years under
Windows XP. We were forever telling people how to organize their Start Menu.

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on my test, we cannot move videos to start menu. I suspect this is
by
design.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
rights.

--------------------
| From: "SWWD" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Videos item for Start Menu?
| Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:29:41 +1000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| We get "Documents", "Music", "Pictures" and now even "Games" items in
the
| Start Menu, but why is there still not an option to add "Videos" to it?
You
| basically have every other category of multimedia on the menu except
for
| "Videos"... why? I know this folder can be accessed via the new
| "Home"/"User" item but I can't understand why this item has again been
| neglected from being included in the main Start Menu?

I don't see how it is "clogging up" the Start Menu by having one entry for
each main group of media, I see it more as common sense. The right side of
the Start Menu should contain items for easy access to the most used
functions and areas. Having said that I also don't see why "Default Programs"
needs to have its own item on the main menu.

I just find it strange that on XP and now Vista, "Videos" seem to be a
neglected category of Media -- especially with more focus being put on
multimedia and especially home movies with the addition of Windows DVD Maker
and an enhanced Movie Maker.

We have nice easy access to Music, Pictures, Documents and now Games, but it
takes extra clicks to find your video clips. Personally, I would find much
more use having a Videos item than a Games item.

Believe me I understand people not knowing where they saved things, all the
more reason to add Videos to the start menu for easy access to their home
movies they've uploaded from their camcorder. Especially now that all the
default "special folders" have been moved into a new user folder.

I dare say there are going to be many people out there who don't realise
that these special folders have been moved from within My Documents into the
new user folder and will not be able to find the location of their files,
wouldn't you agree?

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on my test, we cannot move videos to start menu. I suspect this is
by
design.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
rights.

--------------------
| From: "SWWD" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Videos item for Start Menu?
| Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:29:41 +1000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| We get "Documents", "Music", "Pictures" and now even "Games" items in
the
| Start Menu, but why is there still not an option to add "Videos" to it?
You
| basically have every other category of multimedia on the menu except
for
| "Videos"... why? I know this folder can be accessed via the new
| "Home"/"User" item but I can't understand why this item has again been
| neglected from being included in the main Start Menu?

The first thing I think of is maybe videos. due to large size, slows down
the menu generation.

I don't see how? All I'm talking about is a purely textual link named
"Videos" being added to the start menu to link to the Videos folder for
easier access... Not previews or thumbnails or anything. But even if it is
displayed as a menu when you mouse-over it, opening it would take the same
time as opening the folder itself which is minimal as thumbnails, etc are
usually cached.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Thanks for your information sharing.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "gigodemon" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| Subject: Re: Videos item for Start Menu?
| Date: 31 Mar 2007 04:01:45 -0700
|
| Hi,
|
| Try Vista Start Menu and you get all you need -
| http://www.vistastartmenu.com
| Video folder too exist by default :)
|

| > We get "Documents", "Music", "Pictures" and now even "Games" items in
theStartMenu, but why is there still not an option to add "Videos" to it?
You
| > basically have every other category of multimedia on themenuexcept for
| > "Videos"... why? I know this folder can be accessed via the new
| > "Home"/"User" item but I can't understand why this item has again been
| > neglected from being included in the mainStartMenu?

I appreciate your suggestion, but that program appears to be extreme overkill
for what I'm looking to achieve.

ordinarysoft

Hi,

Yes it's overkill for this task but when you start working with it you
don't want come back to system menu.
Try freeware version and you understand me.

Keith Miller MVP

Do you use the Games folder? You could take over its CLSID & use it to show
videos.