video conference - windows or msn messenger?

G

Hi

could someone please advise me on whether windows messenger or msn messenger
is best for video conferencing with friends?

thanks

darren

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Darren,

I'm afraid I'd have to say MSN Messenger, but there are a few comments I have to make to
clarify this.

MSN Messenger (6.x) on Windows XP supports not only the Windows Messenger video but also it's
own "Webcam" support. What you have to be aware of is that if you simply click the "Webcam"
button within MSN Messenger, it will use the built-in Webcam support within MSN Messenger
(that is quite good actually) which is not compatible with Windows Messenger. If you require
Windows Messenger compatible (i.e. it is what you contact is using), you'll need to click the
Actions menu within MSN Messenger and choose "Start Video Conference". Also be aware that
the Webcam support in MSN Messenger does not automatically start Audio, so you have to start
that separately.

Now the reason why it's better; besides the higher framerate and quality of the built-in
Webcam support within MSN Messenger, it also allows you to make the video window larger,
which in itself, makes video conferencing with your contacts much more richer.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

G

Darren said:
Hi

could someone please advise me on whether windows messenger or msn messenger
is best for video conferencing with friends?

My experience is that MSN messenger offers better options,but have had
problems with sound since sp2

Ask a Question