VHS to DVD connections

Reaction score
hi i wont to convert old vhs to dvd but i no what i wont to do but unable to my vhs player to my pc, from what ive read u can connect them with composite-video-output jacks (RED WHITE YELLOW LEADS) or a s video lead, my probelm is that i dont have any composite video output at the back of my VHS player. conected to my system is my tv with composite video output jacks on the side can i use them ? or does it have to be from the VHS player its self? also i have my dvd player which has (RWY outputs) and a s video, can i connect it that way ?

oh my pc side i have a pci express geforce 6600 GT 128mb with a hdtv connector which i think i would have to put into the back to be able to connect the 2. it has 5 inputs a yellow video black s video green y blue pb red pt(if that helps) what im thinking is that i could connect the yellow video output but how would i connect the sound cus sound uses red and WHITE which the adapter doesnt have

if u can help and make sense of what ive just wrote then thanks, and ill reply asap with more of my setup probelm

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First of all, you need a video capture device on your PC and some software to capture the video.

Pinnacle Studio 10; Ulead video studio; Adobe Premiere can all do this thing.

You may be able to do this within Windows Movie Maker as well (it's part of Win XP SP2) but I'm not sure.

Oh, and full versions of Nero can do this as well.

You won't be able to tell whether your PC has video capture facilities until you open any of the above mentioned software or consult your video card manual.

If your video card can't capture video, cheapest way is to either buy a TV card, most of which have video capture, or a 'Sparkle' dedicated video capture module which plugs into a USB port (do a Google).

As for your VCR, buy a scart converter plug, this plugs into your VCR Scart socket and has three phono/RCA sockets on the back, one for video, two for stereo audio. Then you can plug phono plugs into that which will be part of a lead that connects to your PC video capture device.

That's it, simplified. Any other questions, then come back and ask.

Reaction score
hi thanks for the reply

right i have nero 7 and i run capture video option and it come up with no supported capturing devices were detected, so that means i need a tv card, i dont wont to spend loads but i dont wont to have **** quality, can u recommend any ?

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/51198/rb/22339437242 i found this one but willing to buy from over retails or other products, u may recommend.

the scart converter http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/74253 is that a good price? or should i try and get a cheaper lead, but will that affect the quality. Also can u get a scart - s video cable would u get a better quality with that if there is one

Also capturing video, i think i read somewhere does it take up a 1gb to 1 min ?

ive just watch a bit of video that i will be capturing, and it looks fuzz (snowy), will i be able to improve that with the software ?, and another vid, has lost its colour in places, can i do anything with that ?

thanks for the help again

Leow

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Leadtek card will do the job ok.

Hauppage TV cards are the best.

The Scart to 3 x phono is too expensive.

What you need is a Scart plug with three phono connectors (sockets) on the back of it. From that, take a phono to phono lead and connect video out from VCR Scart to video in on TV card.

Then take a two x phono plug to 1 x stereo 3.5mm stereo jack plug from VCR Scart out to Sound card/device line in socket.

Depending on software, capturing one hour of video can use up about 10Gb hard drive space but after rendering will come down to 4Gb or so.

Most DVD's will take about an hour of captured VCR footage, unless you use selective compressing software.

If the VCR cassette displays snowy, damaged or shows other faults when playing back on TV, it will only be worse when captured and converted to digital format.

Sorry, but that's the way it is, the VCR cassette's original format cannot be improved upon, you can only hope, at best, to at least capture it at it's best.

Ask a Question