Very unusual network problem

Txl

Hello

I have 1 desktop and 1 laptop computer networked using XP PRO SP2 up to date.

They are both connected to an AP that also does DSL modem and network switch (great stuff btw)

The funny thing is that on the "big" computer the network goes down during "big" transfers, for example if I try to move a 50 megs file from the desktop to the laptop (or the other way around) the network crashes randomly during the transfer, sometimes immediatly (10-15 seconds), sometimes it stays up und running until 2-3 minutes but it always crashes.

I have tried direct cross cable between desktop and laptop, or through the switch and it still crashes the same, if I try to do "small" networking like just checking the mail every 5 minutes on the big computer it works for hours, so it's ONLY on BIG transfers that the crashes occurs.

I have removed firewall, antivirus, ran all possible checks including online scans, checked for spyware using spybot, spysweeper and ad aware and of course there is NOTHING (I would have been glad to find something but I didn't).

Where the problem really gets funny is that my motherboard also has a firewire port so I tried networking through the firewire, disabling the "normal" network card and the problem is the same, so it is NOT the network drivers or settings, QoS is LONG gone from my systems and i don't know what to do.

I have tried using a program to completely delete the TCP/IP settings and resetting the LSP's but the problem is still the same.

Thanks for the help, but please refrain from the usual virus-spyware and so on, you would be wasting your time (and mine but it's not that bad, ha ha ha)

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for posting here.

From your post, I don't make sense of your issue very much. So before we go
further, please let me know following information so that we can perform
further research.
1. What's the exact meaning of "network crash"? Is there any error message?
You may send me a screen shot to show it:
To take a screen shot:
---------------------
1) Press the Pr Scrn key once on the keyboard when the error message
appears.
2) Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box, and then
Click OK.
3) Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.
4) From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.
5) Send the JPG file to me as an attachment.
My mailbox: (e-mail address removed)

2. As you mentioned it crashed when you move file from Desktop to Laptop,
how about when you move file from Laptop to Desktop?

3. As you mentioned it was ok when you just checking mail which you called
it "small", how about when you move a 5M file?

4. This issue happens just recently?

For your situation, I'd like to provide you some general suggestions to
narrow down your issue:

Suggestion 1:
===============
Since you mentioned your motherboard firewire port with it, so please
disable it to see if your network still crashes. About how to disable the
firewire port please refer to your motherboard manual.

Suggestion 2:
===============
You may start your computer in safe mode to see if this issue occurs. And
the step to boot into safe mode is below:

Safe Mode loads a minimally protected-mode configuration, disabling Windows
device drivers and using the standard VGA display adapter.

1. Restart the computer.
2. Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
3. Choose the Safe Mode with Network, and press Enter.

Note: Some third party applications and some hardware device cannot be used
during Safe Mode. You will temporarily be unable to connect to the Internet
temporarily while in Safe Mode.

If this issue disappears in the safe mode, I suspect that it is related to
some third-party services or programs. You may Use Clean Boot to eliminate
third party interference Boot into Clean Boot environment. Steps are below.

1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.

2. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.

3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.

4. Click OK and restart your computer.

310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

Suggestion 3:
==========================
As you mentioned you have tried to use a program to completely delete the
TCP/IP settings, so I'd like to provide you a method to reset Tcp/Ip with a
command, you may also have a try:
1. Click "Start", click "Run", type "cmd" (without the quotation marks),
and then press ENTER.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:"netsh int ip reset
log.txt" (without the quotation marks)
- If you incorrectly type the command, you receive an error message.
Type the command again.
- If the command successfully runs, a new command prompt appears.
3. Type the following command, and then press ENTER: "netsh winsock
reset" (without the quotation marks)
- If you incorrectly type the command, you receive an error message.
Type the command again.
- If the command successfully runs, a new command prompt appears.
4. Type "exit" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
5. Restart the computer.

Suggestion 4:
=======================
If your issue happens just recently, you may try to perform a system
restore to be back to the initial status or other correct state.

Note: if you have some important documents or files which are created after
the restore point, please copy them to My Document. As this, even if you
are back to the initial status, they are still remained in My Documents.

To restore your system to a previous state, we can use the following steps:

1. Before you start, please close all open files and close all open
programs.
2. Click "Start"; Click "Programs or All Programs"; Click "Accessories";
Click "System Tools"; Click "System Restore". The System Restore user
interface should appear.
3. Select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click "Next".
4. From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point
when your system is working correctly and click "Next".
5. Click "Next" again. The restore process will run and your system will
restart automatically.
6. After restarting, check whether your system functions correctly now. If
not, you can undo your last restoration or select another restore point in
System Restore user interface.

306084: How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306084

Windows XP System Restore
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpsysrst.mspx

Please let me know the above results and information so that I can provide
further assistance on this problem. If you have any other questions or
concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure
to be of assistance.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.

| Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:51:57 +0200
| Subject: Very unusual network problem
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
| From: Txl <[email protected]>
|
| Hello
|
| I have 1 desktop and 1 laptop computer networked using XP PRO SP2 up to
date.

| They are both connected to an AP that also does DSL modem and network
switch (great stuff btw)

| The funny thing is that on the "big" computer the network goes down
during "big" transfers, for example if I try to move a 50 megs file from
the desktop to the laptop (or the other way around) the network crashes
randomly during the transfer, sometimes immediatly (10-15 seconds),
sometimes it stays up und running until 2-3 minutes but it always crashes.

| I have tried direct cross cable between desktop and laptop, or through
the switch and it still crashes the same, if I try to do "small" networking
like just checking the mail every 5 minutes on the big computer it works
for hours, so it's ONLY on BIG transfers that the crashes occurs.

| I have removed firewall, antivirus, ran all possible checks including
online scans, checked for spyware using spybot, spysweeper and ad aware and
of course there is NOTHING (I would have been glad to find something but I
didn't).

| Where the problem really gets funny is that my motherboard also has a
firewire port so I tried networking through the firewire, disabling the
"normal" network card and the problem is the same, so it is NOT the network
drivers or settings, QoS is LONG gone from my systems and i don't know what
to do.

| I have tried using a program to completely delete the TCP/IP settings and
resetting the LSP's but the problem is still the same.

| Thanks for the help, but please refrain from the usual virus-spyware and
so on, you would be wasting your time (and mine but it's not that bad, ha
ha ha)

| --
| Email contact
|
| http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa

Txl

Le Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:20:09 +0200, Vincent Xu [MSFT] <[email protected]> a écrit:

Hello, thanks for yur ideas, here are the first replies

Hello,

Thank you for posting here.

From your post, I don't make sense of your issue very much. So before we go
further, please let me know following information so that we can perform
further research.
1. What's the exact meaning of "network crash"? Is there any error message?
You may send me a screen shot to show it:

No error message, the transfer windows just gets "stuck", I can still press cancel and everything will function mormally, but then it seems I have no network at all, I can't even ping my own machine...

To take a screen shot:
---------------------
1) Press the Pr Scrn key once on the keyboard when the error message
appears.
2) Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box, and then
Click OK.
3) Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.
4) From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.
5) Send the JPG file to me as an attachment.
My mailbox: (e-mail address removed)

2. As you mentioned it crashed when you move file from Desktop to Laptop,
how about when you move file from Laptop to Desktop?

Same both ways, I think I mentioned this, but anyway it's confirmed

3. As you mentioned it was ok when you just checking mail which you called
it "small", how about when you move a 5M file?

Crash, to be honest it seems that the network is "overheating", meaning I can transfer a 1m file quickly, but i the transfer has to use full throttle for a certain period of time then it's dead, and no I don't know which period of time since it's not constant.*

I'm trying your suggestions and will report later in the day

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for you reply in time.

Since these results of my suggestions are very important for further
research, so please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks again for cooperation

<[email protected]> a écrit:

> [...]
| >
| > Vincent Xu
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| > Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
| > support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
| > situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to
all
| > Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.
| >
| > This and other support options are available here:
| > BCPS:

https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
| > Others:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

| > If you are outside the United States, please visit our International

wsfeed1.ip.tiscali.net!proxad.net!infeed-1.proxad.net!news16-e.free.fr!not-f
| > or-mail
| > date.
| > |
| > | They are both connected to an AP that also does DSL modem and network
| > switch (great stuff btw)
| > |
| > | The funny thing is that on the "big" computer the network goes down
| > during "big" transfers, for example if I try to move a 50 megs file from
| > the desktop to the laptop (or the other way around) the network crashes
| > randomly during the transfer, sometimes immediatly (10-15 seconds),
| > sometimes it stays up und running until 2-3 minutes but it always
crashes.
| > |
| > | I have tried direct cross cable between desktop and laptop, or through
| > the switch and it still crashes the same, if I try to do "small"
networking
| > like just checking the mail every 5 minutes on the big computer it works
| > for hours, so it's ONLY on BIG transfers that the crashes occurs.
| > |
| > | I have removed firewall, antivirus, ran all possible checks including
| > online scans, checked for spyware using spybot, spysweeper and ad aware
and
| > of course there is NOTHING (I would have been glad to find something
but I
| > didn't).
| > |
| > | Where the problem really gets funny is that my motherboard also has a
| > firewire port so I tried networking through the firewire, disabling the
| > "normal" network card and the problem is the same, so it is NOT the
network
| > drivers or settings, QoS is LONG gone from my systems and i don't know
what
| > to do.
| > |
| > | I have tried using a program to completely delete the TCP/IP settings
and
| > resetting the LSP's but the problem is still the same.
| > |
| > | Thanks for the help, but please refrain from the usual virus-spyware
and
| > so on, you would be wasting your time (and mine but it's not that bad,
ha
| > ha ha)
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > | Email contact
| > |
| > | http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa
| > |

| --
| Email contact
|
| http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa

Txl

Helo, sorry about the delay but I was busy doing some work in the house (electrics and plaster) for the "baby room" and the boss (of course not me) has decided that this is more important than my network (maybe she's right...)

Anyway here are the results of the trials.

| > Suggestion 1:
| > ===============
| > Since you mentioned your motherboard firewire port with it, so please
| > disable it to see if your network still crashes. About how to disable
the
| > firewire port please refer to your motherboard manual.

Tried that, same thing happens

| > Suggestion 2:
| > ===============
| > You may start your computer in safe mode to see if this issue occurs.
And
| > the step to boot into safe mode is below:
| >
| > Safe Mode loads a minimally protected-mode configuration, disabling
Windows
| > device drivers and using the standard VGA display adapter.
| >
| > 1. Restart the computer.
| > 2. Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
| > 3. Choose the Safe Mode with Network, and press Enter.
| >
| > Note: Some third party applications and some hardware device cannot be
used
| > during Safe Mode. You will temporarily be unable to connect to the
Internet
| > temporarily while in Safe Mode.
| >If this issue disappears in the safe mode, I suspect that it is related
| > some third-party services or programs. You may Use Clean Boot to
eliminate
| > third party interference Boot into Clean Boot environment. Steps are
below.

| > 1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation
marks) in
| > the Open box, and then click OK.
| >2. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
| >3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
| > and then click the "Disable All" button.
| >4. Click OK and restart your computer.
| >310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
| > Windows XP
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

Tried that, network is also crashing in safe mode, same behaviour as in "unsafe" mode

| > Suggestion 3:
| > ==========================
| > As you mentioned you have tried to use a program to completely delete
the
| > TCP/IP settings, so I'd like to provide you a method to reset Tcp/Ip
with a
| > command, you may also have a try:
| > 1. Click "Start", click "Run", type "cmd" (without the quotation marks),
| > and then press ENTER.
| > 2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:"netsh int ip
reset
| > log.txt" (without the quotation marks)
| > - If you incorrectly type the command, you receive an error
message.
| > Type the command again.
| > - If the command successfully runs, a new command prompt appears.
| > 3. Type the following command, and then press ENTER: "netsh winsock
| > reset" (without the quotation marks)
| > - If you incorrectly type the command, you receive an error
message.
| > Type the command again.
| > - If the command successfully runs, a new command prompt appears.
| > 4. Type "exit" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
| > 5. Restart the computer.

Typed the commands, all was as you said it would be, Reboot was VERY VERY long but went through, IP adress was in automatic mode so I switched it back to fixed, network was running as before but it crashed as before.

About system restore the oldest point I had was not solving the problem, the oldest restore point I had was about 4 weeks old and my problem has been here for around 2 weeks so i don't think system restore can help me on this.

Thanks for the help, what else can I try now ?

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hello,

From your reply, I realized that this issue may caused by NIC corruption,
so I suggest you peroform following steps:

1. Connect the laptop to another PC beside the problematic desktop, and
then try to transfer big file, such as a 10M file.

2. Connect the laptop and desktop to Internet separately, try to download a
10M file to see what happens.

Since this issue may relate to NIC, I also suggest you try to replace the
NIC on the desktop and then try to transfer a 10M file.

I think these steps can identify which NIC got the corruption.