USING WIN2K ROUTING

Preacher Man

I remember studying on this, but I can't remember the exacts. I have two
networks subnets at a single location connected with 100Mb. I want to keep
them separate, so instead of using a Cisco router, I plan to just use the
Win2K routing feature. 1. What are the steps in doing that? 2. Also a
question with a little more difficulty, can I issue DHCP addresses on both
sides of the network with the same server?

Robert L [MS-MVP]

1. You may want to enable RRAS.

2. You can enable DHCP support for multiple subnets
http://www.howtonetworking.com/articles/dhcp1.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Preacher Man" <nospam> wrote in message I remember studying on this, but I can't remember the exacts. I have two
[...]

1. I already have RAS enabled. But I can't seem to get the traffic to route. I have the Server selected as a LAN & Demand-Dial Routing, I also have the Remote Access Server selected.

Do I have to setup static routes? I tried setting up one but it didn't seem to work. Here's what I done on that.
Add New Static Route, I used the 192.168.100.1 adapter, the destination was 192.168.1.0, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.100.1. Is this right? Also do I have to restart the RAS? Thanks for all the help.

2. I just set up a new scope for the other subnet, and it worked so easily. So easily I was amazed. Hmm.
1. You may want to enable RRAS.

2. You can enable DHCP support for multiple subnets
http://www.howtonetworking.com/articles/dhcp1.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Preacher Man" <nospam> wrote in message I remember studying on this, but I can't remember the exacts. I have two
networks subnets at a single location connected with 100Mb. I want to keep
them separate, so instead of using a Cisco router, I plan to just use the
Win2K routing feature. 1. What are the steps in doing that? 2. Also a
question with a little more difficulty, can I issue DHCP addresses on both
sides of the network with the same server?

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Thank you for the update. Routing is not easy. posting the results of both client and server routing table may help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Preacher Man" <nospam> wrote in message 1. I already have RAS enabled. But I can't seem to get the traffic to route. I have the Server selected as a LAN & Demand-Dial Routing, I also have the Remote Access Server selected.

[...]

Do clients have to have a Route Add statement to their PC? I have the gateway on the client set to the server IP Address.
[...]

Whenever I activated my second ethernet card in the server some problems occurred. I had a lady call and say that she couldn't access the server. I went there and she could ping the original address, but she couldn't access the server or even login since it is my DC for this location. I disabled the second adapter and all is well. What happened? And can this be fixed?
"Preacher Man" <nospam> wrote in message Do clients have to have a Route Add statement to their PC? I have the gateway on the client set to the server IP Address.
[...]

As said posting the routing table here may help. How do you setup the second NIC? Do you assign the same IP range to it?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Preacher Man" <nospam> wrote in message Whenever I activated my second ethernet card in the server some problems occurred. I had a lady call and say that she couldn't access the server. I went there and she could ping the original address, but she couldn't access the server or even login since it is my DC for this location. I disabled the second adapter and all is well. What happened? And can this be fixed?
[...]

I have the routing issue solved I think. I had to make some adjustments in my Cisco Router. Below is my configuration. I am still having a problem, please see below.

Original NIC Setup
192.168.1.9
255.255.255.0
192.168.1.1 (Cisco Router)

Second NIC Setup
192.168.5.1
255.255.255.0
192.168.5.1

I have two static routes setup on my Win2K that point to each subnet. I am still having a wierd problem. When I turn on my second NIC, I have two of my workstations that cannot communicate properly with the server. Everyone else is ok. The problems PCs can ping the server but they cannot access a share on the server. Any ideas?
[...]

Update. It seems that the other PCs cannot access the server shares when they reboot. But this problem only seems to be happening on my Win98 workstations. What in the world is going on?

"Preacher Man" <nospam> wrote in message I have the routing issue solved I think. I had to make some adjustments in my Cisco Router. Below is my configuration. I am still having a problem, please see below.