using restore cd's for xp home

G

Hi. I have an e-machine (T1140) that came with xp installed. I was provided with 2 restore cd's that will completely wipe the hard drive. Yesterday, I discovered that my computer has a virus called W32.Jeefo. To make a long story short, I backed up the files I wanted to keep and then I ran the restore cd's, thinking that doing so would fix my problem. However, after the computer reboots, a screen appears that says "please wait while windows prepares to start" and then it just stops. It will not go beyond this screen. If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

You must return your eMachine computer to its original hardware
configuration before using eMachine's Recovery method. Disconnect
all peripheral hardware devices except for the monitor, mouse
and keyboard. Any internal hardware changes or upgrades must
be undone, such as removing or disconnecting a second drive you may
have installed or changing the video or sound cards to the original.

The eMachine Recovery process looks for the original factory hardware
configuration, otherwise it will fail to execute as designed.

On page 5-1 of your eMachine User Guide, it explains that restoring
Windows XP involves reformatting the hard drive. The eMachine
Restore CDs does the reformatting for you before reinstalling XP.
In other words, do not manually reformat your drive..... allow the Restore
CD to do its job. Please read your eMachine User Guide for details.

If you misplaced your eMachine User Guide, you can download another.

Visit: http://www.e4me.com/support/user_guide.html?cat=desktop&prod=T1842

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Hi. I have an e-machine (T1140) that came with xp installed. I was provided with 2 restore cd's that will
completely wipe the hard drive. Yesterday, I discovered that my computer has a virus called W32.Jeefo. To make
a long story short, I backed up the files I wanted to keep and then I ran the restore cd's, thinking that
doing so would fix my problem. However, after the computer reboots, a screen appears that says "please wait
while windows prepares to start" and then it just stops. It will not go beyond this screen. If anyone has any
advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

Ask a Question