Windows XP Using dialer.exe Without My Speakers

Reaction score
Note: I believe this issue has been resolved. Please read through all posts for conclusion.

I have Windows XP. I'm using dialer.exe to make a standard (traditional) phone call. My phone line is connected to my modem and my modem is, in turn, connected to my phone. I don't want the dial tone, the DTMF (dialing buttons), and conversation broadcasted publicly on my speaker system. However, I don't want to have to mute my PC's audio system and not be able to listen to music, videos, etc...

How do I lower the volume of dialer.exe to make a traditional phone call without having to mute my PC's speaker system?

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you want to mute just the dialer.exe application, but not other applications? I'm not aware of a way to do this on XP, but the Vista/Windows 7 audio stack can do this if you have access to either of those :)

You have have some success controlling the volume levels of individual applications by using this tool:

http://www.indievolume.com/

Reaction score
mascott3 said:
I swear, I looked many times and didn't see this...
I went into Control Panel >> Phone and Modem Options
In the Modems Tab I used the properties option and found a volume control
I'm going to experiment with this but I believe this may very well solve my problem
I'll follow-up when I'm sure. Cheers!

Sometimes we look past the easiest solutions..Hope it does solve your problem, please keep us informed...........

Reaction score
Yes, the control I found works like a charm. And wise words Madxgraphics. Thank you. And you too Mr. Cunningham.

Let me explain how I found my solution within my Windows XP operating system:

Control Panel >> Phone and Modem Options >> Modems [tab] >> properties [button] >> Modem [tab]

Here in the Modem tab, are three options. The first is what I was looking for: 'Speaker volume' [sliding bar control].

The control is a sliding bar with which I can lower or raise [Off - - - High] the volume of my modem -- only with respect to my PC's speaker system! Also, it appears that the default level is mid-range.

MAKING MY PHONE CALL: After lowering the sliding bar to Off, my modem performed it's job both flawlessly AND silently!

NOTE: This control DID NOT affect any of my other (non-dialer.exe) programs and their ability to use my audio system -- i.e. iTunes, Window Media Player, etc... It only appears to control my modem's use of the speaker system AND, just as important, it does not affect the volume of dialer.exe on the landline itself -- ONLY the speaker system of my PC. In other words, I have modem sound on my phone line but not on my speaker system.

Cheers! and Thanks for your interest in my problem.

Attachments

• Phone and Modem Options 03.bmp
    193.4 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

Ask a Question