Using an ODBC link table in MS Access query as data source for a Word mail merge

Reaction score
I have Linked ODBC Table (save password) to an oracle table.
While in Access I can execute queries using this Linked ODBC Oracle table just fine.

I have created a fairly complicated dynamic query in MS Access that requires no input. I now want to use that query’s results for mail merge.

I have word 2002 & Access 2003.

I have tried the Knowledge base item at:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813989/

But I get the error message:
"Word cannot re-establish a DDE connection, try starting the database program, and then repeat the previous steps, or click via ODBC method"

I have tried all the all the other connection methods and they all fail to give me access to the results of the query.

I find that if use the ODBC I can see the root tables (not the Linked ODBC table) and if I click options I can select the views (queries). But when I select the query that is build using the Oracle Linked ODBC table I get an error saying "Word was unable to open data source".

I can not just link back to the oracle source as the query is made up of data from the oracle table and locally saved tables. The procedure to update the database are very time consuming and costly (IE: Three levels of approval, 3 months of testing, etc) - take 6-12 month for even a simple database structural change.

I really do not want to the user to File->export the query as a Mail-Merge document and then get word to point this output file. The whole point is that it is set up once and is still dynamic.

Is there anyway to do what I want/need?

Thanks.

Ask a Question