Using a VISTA printer.

E

Erica

G'day to all.

I have a slight issue. I have a Vista (Home Basic) machine hosting a printer. I've shared this printer on the local LAN.

I use my XP machine to connect to the printer (using the Vista User account which has Administrative rights).

When I initially did this thru the GUI, all is well (I made sure I checked the appropriate boxes). When I shutdown and restart either machine, the guest (XP) machine cannot print. I have to reconnect using the GUI.

So, I thought I'd create a startup batch file which connects to the printer. This works fins, except for the restart scenario. Executing the batch file works as expected.

What can one do (or what have I missed) to ensure that the Vista printer is accessible to the guest machine?

ps: This works fine XP to XP.

Thanks.

G

Hi Erica,

This is an XP newsgroup & your issue is with Vista not XP. However, you need to change your network zone to home (not publlic) then in there set Vista for printer sharing & apply the changes

Then use:

\\VistaMachineName & press ENTER

Right-click the printer & choose CONNECT

Remember that sometimes Vista drivers for printers won't install on XP so you may be prompted to install the XP driver instead.

--
SPAMCOP User

G'day to all.

I have a slight issue. I have a Vista (Home Basic) machine hosting a printer. I've shared this printer on the local LAN.

I use my XP machine to connect to the printer (using the Vista User account which has Administrative rights).

When I initially did this thru the GUI, all is well (I made sure I checked the appropriate boxes). When I shutdown and restart either machine, the guest (XP) machine cannot print. I have to reconnect using the GUI.

So, I thought I'd create a startup batch file which connects to the printer. This works fins, except for the restart scenario. Executing the batch file works as expected.

What can one do (or what have I missed) to ensure that the Vista printer is accessible to the guest machine?

Thanks.

E

Erica

Thanks Erica. However, since my original post, I've successfully connected a Vista machine to the Vista Machine - reboots and all.

I still have the same issue with XP to Vista, so it surely seems to be an "XP issue".

Also, the Workgroup names are the same (should have mentioned that).

The XP machine has the driver(s) for XP, so there is no prompt (or download from Vista to XP so far as the drivers are concerned).

Interest enuff, if I use the IP address to connect (either via by CMD file or the GUI) it seemed to be OK for each reboot of the Vista machine.

When I rebooted the XP machine, I again have the same problem.

Thank you...
Hi Erica,

This is an XP newsgroup & your issue is with Vista not XP. However, you need to change your network zone to home (not publlic) then in there set Vista for printer sharing & apply the changes

Then use:

Remember that sometimes Vista drivers for printers won't install on XP so you may be prompted to install the XP driver instead.

--
SPAMCOP User

G'day to all.

Thanks.

E

Erica

My Fix:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\LPT1]

Nuked the key, recreated and now all is well.

Definitely was an XP issue.

Cheers.

Thanks Erica. However, since my original post, I've successfully connected a Vista machine to the Vista Machine - reboots and all.

I still have the same issue with XP to Vista, so it surely seems to be an "XP issue".

Also, the Workgroup names are the same (should have mentioned that).

The XP machine has the driver(s) for XP, so there is no prompt (or download from Vista to XP so far as the drivers are concerned).

Interest enuff, if I use the IP address to connect (either via by CMD file or the GUI) it seemed to be OK for each reboot of the Vista machine.

When I rebooted the XP machine, I again have the same problem.

Thank you...
Hi Erica,

Then use:

--
SPAMCOP User

G'day to all.

Thanks.

Ask a Question