Using a Microphone with C Media AC'97

w.hatton

I have a AS Rock P4VM800 Mother Board which has a C Media AC'97 Audi
Device built in. I am running windows xp home SP3. My problem is tha
I can't get a microphone to work with the PC. I have tried to upgrad
the drivers, but when I do the new driver doesn't work and I get a Cod
10 error. and have no sound what so ever. The installed driver work
fine except for the microphone issue. Any thoughts please

James Finch

Dear W. Hatton,

By default, your microphone is muted in Windows Volume Control, and this
might just be the culprit here. You can check whether this is the case by
right-clicking the Volume icon the the notification area of your taskbar,
then selecting 'Open Volume Control'. From the Options menu, select
'Properties'. Under 'Show the following volume controls', ensure the check
box next to 'Microphone' is checked, then click OK. Now in your Playback
Control, make sure the 'Mute' check box under 'Microphone' does not have a
check in it, and adjust the volume slider according to preference.

If it is a desktop microphone, you may also want to use the +20dB boost. To
do this, from the Options menu select 'Advanced Controls'. Now in your
Playback Control, click the 'Advanced' button under 'Microphone'. In the
Advanced Options for Microphone dialog box, ensure the check box to the left
of 'Microphone +20 dB Boost is checked. Click 'Close', and close the
Playback Control.

Hope this helps.

- James Finch (MCP)

w.hatton

James said:
[...]

"w.hatton" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

I have a AS Rock P4VM800 Mother Board which has a C Media AC'97 Audio
Device built in. I am running windows xp home SP3. My problem is
that
I can't get a microphone to work with the PC. I have tried to
upgrade
the drivers, but when I do the new driver doesn't work and I get a
Code
10 error. and have no sound what so ever. The installed driver works
fine except for the microphone issue. Any thoughts please.

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply, I have checked the volume control as you
suggested and the microphone was not checked. It is now but still I am
unable to get it to work. Under the audio tab in control panel sounds
the advanced button next to microphone is greyed out. How do I get this
button active? any idea?

Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
i have the same issue.. i installed all the necessary drivers and software but still it my mic wont work (greyd out).