Userinit App error.

Reaction score
Hi im Cam,
yesturday I installed and ran a registry remover because the registry was messing things up on my pc.
I had to reboot later in the day and when i tried to log in i got this message.

userinit.exe - application error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application.

It proceeded to bring up my back ground but didnt open the desktop. Being the resorceful little bloke i am i figured a way to bring up the desktop but this happens everytime i log on. Now im not a Quallified computer technition, in fact im a 15 year old kid and most of the stuff i know about computers is from messing with them so dont talk to advanced for me i understand more than someone my age should but im not an expert.

Ive already been to the regedit and looked to make sure it was going to the right file it is ok there so im not sure what to do. I cant reformat my computer because of the large amount of irreplacable files i do not wish to lose. I havent got a Alternative place to put my files either and i dont have a windows CD as to my knowledge.

As ive just tried to look up my system specs ive found that rundll32 also has this error which stops me from doing a lot of tasks on my computer. As im sure you can tell im a fair bit frustrated.

So Can anyone help me?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you tried using System Restore in Windows XP to roll back your system a few days? This should return your registry to the previous state. :)

Registry cleaners can easily cause problems like this, so other than avoiding them, at least make a registry backup ;)

Reaction score
Unfortunately its not that simple. After several days of searching the internet, i found that this can be cause be a nastey virus called the virtumonde, which has been on my system for a long time. What ive concuded is that it was inactive until recently so im going to be foreced to copy my major files off the system and format the computer. This however wil be a lot eaiser because this is a rental pc.

Ask a Question