User keyboard input not responding

F

Five By Five

I have not been able to figure out what is going on.

System: XP Pro SP2 running on HP/Compaq nx7010

Problem: User cannot get keyboard input in his account. Seems to be a configuration problem. He
noticed something called Filter Keys and an icon in system tray before he lost the input ability, but cannot
find application.

Observations:

1. When logged into Safe Mode in Administrator's account, keyboard input is no problem (hence, no
hardware or driver problem).

2. When user logged into user's account in Safe Mode, keyboard click sounds are heard in Notepad, but
no input is recorded to client window.

3. System Restore useless: going back to checkpoints keeps reporting that no system restore could be
done upon system re-start.

4. No problems reported in Device Manager. Deletion of driver and automatic re-install does not correct
problem. Resources tab under Sound Max sound device properties reports no conflicts.

Question:

The problem seems to be a configuration problem involving this "FilterKeys" application (never before
seen). How can the proper configuration be restored to allow this user's keyboard input?

Addendum: in case you are wondering, I used another PC to enter this post.

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Five By Five said:
I have not been able to figure out what is going on.

System: XP Pro SP2 running on HP/Compaq nx7010

Problem: User cannot get keyboard input in his account. Seems to be a configuration problem. He
noticed something called Filter Keys and an icon in system tray before he
lost the input ability, but cannot
find application.

Observations:

1. When logged into Safe Mode in Administrator's account, keyboard input is no problem (hence, no
hardware or driver problem).

2. When user logged into user's account in Safe Mode, keyboard click
sounds are heard in Notepad, but
no input is recorded to client window.

3. System Restore useless: going back to checkpoints keeps reporting that no system restore could be
done upon system re-start.

4. No problems reported in Device Manager. Deletion of driver and
automatic re-install does not correct
problem. Resources tab under Sound Max sound device properties reports no conflicts.

Question:

The problem seems to be a configuration problem involving this
"FilterKeys" application (never before
seen). How can the proper configuration be restored to allow this user's keyboard input?

Addendum: in case you are wondering, I used another PC to enter this
post.

What happens when you log on under a different account?
Have you tried running msconfig.exe in Safe Mode so that
you can disable the suspect "Filter Key" under the Startup tab?

Ask a Question