User Accounts (Administrator)

U

User Accounts

How can I delete all administrator type accounts, except the actual default/original "Administrator" account?

System seems to think it needs to require at least one of the other accounts be maintained as an administrator type account.

The goal is to have only the default/original "Administrator" account as administrator. And all other accounts as limited type accounts.

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

- Click Start / Run
- Type cmd {OK}
- Type net user SomeAdmin /del
(use actual account names to be deleted)
How can I delete all administrator type accounts, except the actual default/original "Administrator" account?

System seems to think it needs to require at least one of the other accounts be maintained as an administrator type account.

The goal is to have only the default/original "Administrator" account as administrator. And all other accounts as limited type accounts.

U

User Accounts

Okay now the "Administrator" shows up on the login screen along with the ordinary user accounts. How do I make the "Administrator" account not be displayed on the login screen along with the ordinary user accounts?

The goal is as follows.

1) Default/Original/Built-In "Administrator" account is the only account with administrator privileges, and is not displayed on the login screen, but is still accessible via the double take three finger solute.

2) All other accounts are ordinary limited access type accounts, and are displayed on the login screen.

- Click Start / Run
- Type cmd {OK}

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Check out this link:

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-10.html

Okay now the "Administrator" shows up on the login screen along with the ordinary user accounts. How do I make the "Administrator" account not be displayed on the login screen along with the ordinary user accounts?

The goal is as follows.

1) Default/Original/Built-In "Administrator" account is the only account with administrator privileges, and is not displayed on the login screen, but is still accessible via the double take three finger solute.

2) All other accounts are ordinary limited access type accounts, and are displayed on the login screen.

- Click Start / Run
- Type cmd {OK}

N

null

User said:
Okay now the "Administrator" shows up on the login screen along with the
ordinary user accounts. How do I make the "Administrator" account not
be displayed on the login screen along with the ordinary user accounts?

The goal is as follows.

1) Default/Original/Built-In "Administrator" account is the only account
with administrator privileges, and is not displayed on the login screen,
but is still accessible via the double take three finger solute.

2) All other accounts are ordinary limited access type accounts, and are
displayed on the login screen.

You are probably aware of this, but just to be sure, I would recommend
the following:

1. Keep a second account with Administrator privileges, as a kind of
backdoor to the system, just in case something bad happens to the
standard Administrator account. All accounts, especially the
Administrator accounts, should have strong passwords or use a passphrase
(preferred).

2. Create a password reset disk for the Administrator account. Just in case.

3. Rename the Administrator account, and create a 'dummy' Administrator
account with Guest privileges, to give crackers a dummy target. Make
sure it too has a strong password - you don't want it to be so easy for
a cracker to break in that he/she gets suspicious about the account's
true permission levels.

--
The reader should exercise normal caution and backup the Registry and
data files regularly, and especially before making any changes to their
PC, as well as performing regular virus and spyware scans. I am not
liable for problems or mishaps that occur from the reader using advice
posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.