Use of check boxes in a database

forest8

Hi

I'm hoping for some help in this.

I have included the use of checkboxes in my database. So basically, if it's
checked, it means yes. If not, it means no.

The people who are using this database would like me to include the word yes
or no adjacent to the checkboxes. I believe this is redundant but they're
insistent on the inclusion.

What do you think is the best way to deal with this question?

Thank you in advance for your help.

John W. Vinson

Hi

I'm hoping for some help in this.

I have included the use of checkboxes in my database. So basically, if it's
checked, it means yes. If not, it means no.

The people who are using this database would like me to include the word yes
or no adjacent to the checkboxes. I believe this is redundant but they're
insistent on the inclusion.

What do you think is the best way to deal with this question?

Thank you in advance for your help.

You could put a textbox next to each checkbox with a control source

=IIF([checkboxname], "Yes", "No")

and requery it in the AfterUpdate event of the checkbox;

or, you could abandon checkboxes and use Combo Boxes with a rowsource of
Yes;No

Gina Whipp

forest8,

Put a text box next to your checkbox...

=IIf([NameOfYourCheckBox]=False,"No","Yes")

It doesn't pay to *argue* an easy solution...

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

Hi

I'm hoping for some help in this.

I have included the use of checkboxes in my database. So basically, if it's
checked, it means yes. If not, it means no.

The people who are using this database would like me to include the word yes
or no adjacent to the checkboxes. I believe this is redundant but they're
insistent on the inclusion.

What do you think is the best way to deal with this question?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Duane Hookom

There is no need to use an IIf() expression. Just add a text box bound to
your field and set its format to Yes/No. If you don't want people to edit
it, set it to locked and disabled.

Gina Whipp

Oops....

=IIF([checkboxname], "Yes", "No")

should be

=IIF([checkboxname] = -1, "Yes", "No")

--
[...]

<g> Gotcha!

Nope. If it's equal to -1 it's TRUE and the IIF will work. IIF only cares if
its first argument evaluates to a TRUE (nonzero) or FALSE (zero or null)
expression.

Gina Whipp

<bowing head to the master> ;-)

You are correct... tip toeing back out the door....

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

Oops....

=IIF([checkboxname], "Yes", "No")

should be

=IIF([checkboxname] = -1, "Yes", "No")

<g> Gotcha!

Nope. If it's equal to -1 it's TRUE and the IIF will work. IIF only cares if
its first argument evaluates to a TRUE (nonzero) or FALSE (zero or null)
expression.

Bob Quintal

Subject: Re: Use of check boxes in a database
From: "Gina Whipp" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access

<bowing head to the master> ;-)

You are correct... tip toeing back out the door....

John is correct, however, so are you. There have been problems
reported with using the IIF([checkboxname],...) in a control on a
subform which causes the database to refuse to close.

Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

"I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" -
Tremors II

message
Oops....

=IIF([checkboxname], "Yes", "No")

should be

=IIF([checkboxname] = -1, "Yes", "No")

<g> Gotcha!

Nope. If it's equal to -1 it's TRUE and the IIF will work. IIF
only cares if its first argument evaluates to a TRUE (nonzero) or
FALSE (zero or null) expression.

Gina Whipp

Bob,

Hmmm, I have not had such a problem, got any links, I'd like to read up on
those...

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

From: "Gina Whipp" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access

<bowing head to the master> ;-)

You are correct... tip toeing back out the door....

John is correct, however, so are you. There have been problems
reported with using the IIF([checkboxname],...) in a control on a
subform which causes the database to refuse to close.

Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

"I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" -
Tremors II

message
Oops....

=IIF([checkboxname], "Yes", "No")

should be

=IIF([checkboxname] = -1, "Yes", "No")

<g> Gotcha!

Nope. If it's equal to -1 it's TRUE and the IIF will work. IIF
only cares if its first argument evaluates to a TRUE (nonzero) or
FALSE (zero or null) expression.

Duane Hookom

Gina, first admit that you don't need =IIf() in the control source ;-) and
then check out
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10&SID=d1c6b9ff9cb9844621898252795bz19f.

--
Duane Hookom
MS Access MVP

From: "Gina Whipp" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access

<bowing head to the master> ;-)

You are correct... tip toeing back out the door....

John is correct, however, so are you. There have been problems
reported with using the IIF([checkboxname],...) in a control on a
subform which causes the database to refuse to close.

Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

"I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" -
Tremors II

message
Oops....

=IIF([checkboxname], "Yes", "No")

should be

=IIF([checkboxname] = -1, "Yes", "No")

<g> Gotcha!

Nope. If it's equal to -1 it's TRUE and the IIF will work. IIF
only cares if its first argument evaluates to a TRUE (nonzero) or
FALSE (zero or null) expression.

Gina Whipp

Duane,

Hmmm, not admitting anything... <grin> *But* that bug does not apply if you
take form/subform out of the picture so that might explain why I have never
run into it.

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

From: "Gina Whipp" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access

<bowing head to the master> ;-)

You are correct... tip toeing back out the door....

John is correct, however, so are you. There have been problems
reported with using the IIF([checkboxname],...) in a control on a
subform which causes the database to refuse to close.

Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

"I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" -
Tremors II

message
Oops....

=IIF([checkboxname], "Yes", "No")

should be

=IIF([checkboxname] = -1, "Yes", "No")

<g> Gotcha!

Nope. If it's equal to -1 it's TRUE and the IIF will work. IIF
only cares if its first argument evaluates to a TRUE (nonzero) or
FALSE (zero or null) expression.

Duane Hookom

The bug is obscure and possibly existed only in a particular version prior
to service packs. It did nail me about 10 years ago.

--
Duane Hookom
MS Access MVP

From: "Gina Whipp" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access

<bowing head to the master> ;-)

You are correct... tip toeing back out the door....

John is correct, however, so are you. There have been problems
reported with using the IIF([checkboxname],...) in a control on a
subform which causes the database to refuse to close.

Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

"I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" -
Tremors II

message On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 00:41:05 -0500, "Gina Whipp"
<[email protected]>
wrote:

Oops....

=IIF([checkboxname], "Yes", "No")

should be

=IIF([checkboxname] = -1, "Yes", "No")

<g> Gotcha!

Nope. If it's equal to -1 it's TRUE and the IIF will work. IIF
only cares if its first argument evaluates to a TRUE (nonzero) or
FALSE (zero or null) expression.

De Jager