USB PC TV Tuner

Reaction score
Hi all,

Now i am looking for a high-res USB PC TV tuner for a laptop, it has to have the ability of being recorded and putting the recorded film / program on a DVD to play in a DVD player,

Any suggestions?

KGB

Reaction score
Unless it's USB2, don't bother.

USB1 does not have the raw transfer speed required for capture. You will get low resolution picture & frame drop.

I've tried several. The pinnacle USB2 units deliver a nice picture but none that I Know of will record to DVD. You will have to do that seperately with your captured MPEGs :)

Reaction score
Thanks, i have USB 2.0 on my laptop,

Thats what i ment, all i want is to have someway to record films on to DVD, i don't want to buy a DVD recorder for my TV when i have one in my PC, so it is possible to record the files & burn them on to DVD so that they will play in any DVD player?

Should i get one with freeview in it, do they make these?

Reaction score
My leadtek one can burn directly to DVD - though i have never used that feature. I now only use my capture card to plug my VCR into as monitor is bigger than my TV + added bonus of stereo sound :p

Reaction score
Mine was about £36 from Novatech a while ago - came with remote too...

it is,however, PCI not USB so it wouldnt fit your requirements

Reaction score
OK, Chris.

Thanks Shorty, I have put an order on for the pinnicle one, it looked good!

KGB

Reaction score
Sorry only just caught up with my day (VBulletin skinning requires concentration & not being distracting reading forums :D )...

The pinnacle is very nice :) Nice choice.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Shorty said:
The pinnacle is very nice :) Nice choice.
FWIW, I use a Pinnacle PCI Tuner card for video capture, it gives better results than an ATI VIVO Video card.

Not sure if that's relevant considering you're going for a USB 2 device, but thought I'd chime in anyway.

Just to say Pinnacle make good stuff. I also use Pinnacle's Studio 8 capture software as well (mostly cos I'm too tight-assed to upgrade to V9.0, but what the hell, it works just fine ;) )

Reaction score
Thanks all,

Shorty, i have been reading reviews on this product, some say it has a remote, others say it doesn't.

Others say it has a 300x500 Rezolution, some say it has 1024x786

And the wierd ones say that to record in high-rez you have to pay £5?

Which out of this is true?

Thanks,
KGB

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also is there an audio input in the actual box, or do you just use the mic input?

Reaction score
Sorry.. I've been away :)

I don't own one.. my techie father (who I get my obsession with PC's and so on from) has one.. .Il call them later and ask :)

Reaction score
OK, Its not important, you don't need to bother other people!!!

Sorry about my last post, i only wrote it so that the whole thread would be on the main page!!!

Thanks,
KGB

Reaction score
Hi all,

i finally got it today!

it is amazing, very, very high quality playback (the reccording is good, but not the best) i haven't had a chance t test the sound / TV tuner yet becaus i ain't got the right lead.

Thanks for the tip shorty...

KGB

Ask a Question