USB Keyboard to PS/2 and back to USB

sliberty

I have a new Dell. It came with a USB keyboard and no PS/2 ports on the
PC. Since I use a KVM which only has PS/2 connections, I tried using a
variety of converters to make this work, but have had no luck.

My old PS/2 keyboard connected directly to the KVM, and then through a
PS/2 to USB converter into the PC's USB port works fine.

My new USB keyboard through a USB to PS/2 converter (came with a mouse)
into the KVM and then through a PS/2 to USB converter into the PC's USB
port doesn't work at all.

Is it because the converter came with a mouse and it doesn't support a
keyboard? Is it because I am switching back and forth? Is there a way
to accomplish what I need to do with this new Dell USB keyboard?

Steve

Jason Tsang

The keyboard needs to support using a USB to PS/2 adapter for it to work.

Cobbling together a bunch of adapters so that a device fits into a certain
socket does not guarantee success.

sliberty

Jason,

Thanks for the reply. I called Dell, and they said that the keyboard I
have should be able to work with a USB to PS/2 dongle. (I am not sure I
can be confident with this answer though - the guy seemed pretty
clueless). So I tested ths keyboard on a different PC that has a PS/2
keyboard port using that Microsoft Mouse dongle that I already have,
and it didn't work. So I am still unsure if it is because the keyboard
cannot work in this manner, or if it is because I have a mouse-only
dongle.

On the assumption that the Dell guy was correct, would a dongle that
came with a Microsoft Mouse work or is a different dongle needed? I see
some dongles advertised as compatible with mice and keyboards, and
others only mention mice. I ordered one that specifically says it is
for a keyboard ($1.95 + shipping), so I guess I'll know for sure in a
few days.

Thanks,
Steve

Yves Leclerc

The keyboard requires more than just the old mouse PS/2 "adapter". Head
over to a local computer store are buy a "true" USB to PS/2 dongle cable.
It should provide two PS/2 connections (one for a mouse and one for a
keyboard).

That mouse PS/2 adapter is just a plain adapter. The orignial mouse had the
"controls" built into it.

sliberty

I have the Y cable you described (2 PS/2 connections in, one USB
connection out) and it works very well for the back end of the KVM
(heading from the KVM to the PC tower). But I am asking about the front
end (from the keyboard to the KVM). So let me be really specific.

1. Can a Dell USB keyboard be used in a PS/2 port with some sort of
adapter?
2. If so, is the adapter (dongle) that I got with a mouse suitable, or
do I need one specifically made for a keyboard?

Thanks,
Steve

Yves Leclerc

The mouse adapter is not suitable for for this. This is just a plain
"conversion" adapter and does not provide the electronics that are needed to
convert USB to PS/2. The original mouse that the adapter can with had the
electronics to do this internally.

sliberty

OK, now I have seen (and ordered) a dongle tat claims to work with
keyboards - doe sit only work if the keyboard has the electronics to do
this internally or will it solve my problem?
(I guess I'll find out soon anyway, but if you know....)

Thanks,
Steve

sliberty

The cable you are talking about is the exact opposite of what I need. I
have a USB keyboard, and want to attach it to a PS/2 port. Those cables
are for connecting PS/2 devices (keyboard and mouse) to a USB port.

IsLNdbOi

I've been looking for the same thing. I have this Dell keyboard which
like very much since it does not have any of those useless application
shortcuts keys other keyboards have and it's pretty compact while stil
having full sized keys:

http://tinyurl.com/cujkw

http://pcpartsinc.com/prods/DE-W7658.jpg

As far as I know, it should work with any of those purple USB to PS/
adapters that come with Microsoft and Logitech keyboards since it'
just a plain USB keyboard (no multimedia keys, no built in USB hub)
but I have tried it with three different purple / keyboard USB to PS/
adapters and even with some green USB to PS/2 adapters and the keyboar
has not worked with any of them.

I've seen some active adapters, but they are all convert the opposit
way (PS/2 to USB):

http://tinyurl.com/8gn7r

I wonder if I could use a female USB A to female USB A adapter on th
USB end of this active adapter and connect my keyboard to that end
then get a male to male PS/2 adapter and connect it to the PS/2 end o
this active adapter, then connect it to my PC. Would that work? I
not, are there any active adapters opposite of this one (USB to PS/2)?

Edward W. Thompson

IsLNdbOi said:
I've been looking for the same thing. I have this Dell keyboard which I
like very much since it does not have any of those useless application /
shortcuts keys other keyboards have and it's pretty compact while still
having full sized keys:

http://tinyurl.com/cujkw

http://pcpartsinc.com/prods/DE-W7658.jpg

As far as I know, it should work with any of those purple USB to PS/2
adapters that come with Microsoft and Logitech keyboards since it's
just a plain USB keyboard (no multimedia keys, no built in USB hub),
but I have tried it with three different purple / keyboard USB to PS/2
adapters and even with some green USB to PS/2 adapters and the keyboard
has not worked with any of them.

I've seen some active adapters, but they are all convert the opposite
way (PS/2 to USB):

http://tinyurl.com/8gn7r

I wonder if I could use a female USB A to female USB A adapter on the
USB end of this active adapter and connect my keyboard to that end,
then get a male to male PS/2 adapter and connect it to the PS/2 end of
this active adapter, then connect it to my PC. Would that work? If
not, are there any active adapters opposite of this one (USB to PS/2)?
Not all USB mice and keyboards can be made to work with PS/2. You may be
unlucky.

IsLNdbOi

/
[...]

I'm sure it would work if I could find an active adapter like the one I
posted above, except it would have to have a female USB A connector and
a male PS/2 connector (opposite of the one I posted above).

IsLNdbOi

Bob said:
Here
http://sewelldirect.com/usb

IsLNdbOi wrote:

Edward W. Thompson Wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry Bob, is there supposed to be something at that site that will
help us?

IsLNdbOi

Yeah we are, I guess we didn't make it clear enough that we need a
adapter that will convert a male usb to male PS/2 and it should be a
active adapter.

That site you linked to has the plain USB to PS/2 adapters which w
already said we tried.

Bob I

You would do well to talk to their folks to get what you need. See this
group is setup to assist with the XP support of hardware issues. You
have connection problems unrelated to XP.