USB Graphics Tablet won't work via docking station

Philip Herlihy

I bought a new USB Graphics Tablet (Wacom Intuos2) because I wanted to be
able to plug it in quickly. My machine is a Dell Inspiron 8500 with docking
station ("port replicator"). The laptop has an "Alps" touchpad plus
keyboard pointing stick built-in, and I use a Microsoft USB Trackball.

It all works fine when I undock the laptop. However, whenever it's docked,
the other devices work fine, but the graphics tablet only works until the
pen is first lifted from the tablet - then the pointer stops responding,
even though the tablet led reacts appropriately.

I've been trying to get this to work for months. Wacom blame Dell, and Dell
blame Wacom, of course. I've downloaded all the latest relevant drivers I
can find, and uninstalled the docking station, all HID and pointer devices
and all USB hubs etc, then allowed the system to find them again. No luck.

I have noticed that the tablet continues to react until the tablet driver
loads (noticeable because until then the tablet/display mapping is wrong).
Also, if I disable the entry for the touchpad under HID devices (no disable"
option under "Mice", where they also appear) in Device Manager, the tablet
continues to react after the pen is lifted, but nothing can get it to map
the screen correctly.

I'd really appreciate some informed suggestions!

Treeman

Philip said:
Your posting was empty!

--
####################
## PH, London
"Treeman" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Sorry about that. I have the same setup as you. Have been using th
Intuous ll for awhile. Since you have 3 pointing devices, (mouse
thouchpad, and the tablet) I would like to see you disable th
touchpad. The reason is, the more devices you have in control of you
cursor (drivers) the more likely you'll have conflicts. I assume th
touchpad is the least used device.
Try simply disableing the touchpad drivers in Start, run, msconfig
start-up tab. (uncheck it's box, reboot) You'll get a verificatio
screen that you are booting into a new msconfig configuration, say o.k
You can always go back and enable the drivers for the touchpad if thi
doesn't help.
Best,
Treema

Philip Herlihy

Thanks! I tried disabling the touchpad but not using Msconfig. I'll try it
as soon as I get the chance and post the outcome.

Philip Herlihy

I've had an email from Wacom tech support saying "...That's right the
tablets don't work via docking station, hubs and adapters. ..." so, in
view of the fact that the tablet does work with all three pointing devices
(touchpad, pointing stick and trackball) while undocked, there doesn't seem
much point in trying to isolate a conflict between them. Wacom also have
someone looking into it via their user forum, so I may yet get a surprise.
Meanwhile, I've ordered a PCMCIA USB adapter - the laptop's USB ports are
obscured by the docking station but the PCMCIA slot isn't, so although I'm
not that hopeful it's worth a punt.

Philip Herlihy

In fact I did try using msconfig to disable the touchpad. The problem
merely changed - instead of losing the pointer when lifted from the screen,
the tablet couldn't be persuaded to map correctly to the screen - no better
off. When I re-enabled it (apoint.exe) then the mapping was correct but the
tablet lost the pointer again. It does all work when the machine is
undocked, but that's a faff - I have to reroute power, mouse and Ethernet
cables - the whole point of having a docking station. It does seem that the
Wacom driver is inadequate. It's a beautifully made tablet, but I wish I'd
bought another make.

Treeman

Philip said:
I've had an email from Wacom tech support saying "...That's right th
tablets don't work via docking station, hubs and adapters. QUOTE]

Well Philip,
Bully for the folks at Wacom support! Honesty about the limitations o
a vendors software / hardware, sure cut's down on end use
frustrations.
The new models still run at usb 1.1 even on a usb 2.0 ports. I hav
been getting on them because in my feeble mind, I feel the respons
time would be even better at 2.0 speeds.
I gave my tablet to a budding 14 year old web artist. I'll be awaitin
the usb 2.0 versions, maybe the Graphire.
Best of luck,
Treema