USB flash key boot problems.

tzuktz

Hello,

I'm trying to get my USB flash key to boot XPE with no luck.

Iv'e done the following:

I made it bootable.

Created XPE image for Compact Flash.
Booted it on a harddisk.
Copied it to the bootable USB flash key.
Made the BIOS to boot from USB.
boot.

the system boots and then stuck with error messege:
"Windows would not start because of the following ARC firmware boot
configuration problem: did not properly generate ARC name for HAL and
system paths. Please check the windows documentation about ARC
configuration options and your hardware reference manual for
additional information."

I put the /sos flag in the BOOT.INI and see that the error messege
comes right after loading drvmain.sdb (the file exists by manual
copy).

my BOOT.INI looks like that:
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=a:\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
a:\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Embedded" /fastdetect /sos /bootlog

I made it like that since the BIOS appears to make the USB device
apear like A: drive. And that is the only way to make XPE actually
boot. All other options did not work.
During boot the drivers are appearing to be loaded from:
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)"
Strange, what does that means?

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Yuval
(e-mail address removed)

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hello,
I'm trying to get my USB flash key to boot XPE with no luck.

USB boot is unsupported by MS and XPe. You can contact M-Systems for boot
solution for their uDOC devices. www.m-sys.com
my BOOT.INI looks like that:
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=a:\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
a:\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Embedded" /fastdetect /sos /bootlog

Where did you found this syntax? You must use ARC names check boot.ini file
created by Target Designer. (You should use that file)
If you can't use ARC names then there is little you can do except to try to
force BIOS to see your USB disk as HDD.

Also consider using RAM boot from SDI file.

Regards,
Slobodan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups? Tell
Microsoft!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroups
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tzuktz said:
[...]

Cato Svellingen

Hi,

with the DiskOnKey technology from M-Systems, is it possible to boot XPe ?

Cato

tzuktz said:
[...]

Hi Cato,

DiskOnKey technically it can. But I was asked to lock solution to work only
on uDiskOnChip devices. Don't ask me why.

Regards,
Slobodan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tzuktz said:
[...]

Thanks for you replys.

Well, after a lot of manipulations I have realyzed that the BIOS uses
the flash key as a floppy device. If you boot from a DOS diskette
while the flash key is inside it's USB slot you will get A: for your
bootable floppy and B: as the USB flash key. At that stage you can do
SYS B: and transfere the system to the flash device and then boot
again with the USB as the legacy booting device. After that you'll get
the USB flash key as your A: drive - meaning if I activated the
bootprep utility on it and put ntld and all it's surrounding OS I
should be able to boot XPE. I tried it and NTLDR loads calls the
BOOT.INI and start loading the OS as wrote before. Now if I could tell
BOOT.INI to go on from here while using A: as it's OS source that
would work. That is why I tried the A:\WINDOWS as my option in the
BOOT.INI file. Obviously it is wrong.

SO my quiestion is:
Is there an ARC syntax convention for describing the first floppy. All
I could find was IDE syntax like:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

but nothing related to floppies.
Any suggestions?

Slobadon, you wrote about making the BIOS to see the USB as HD. Do you
know of any way to do it?

Thanks,
Yuval

Slobodan Brcin (eMVP) said:
[...]

Something from next list could (but not necessarily) work.
Option 1. Mark USB disk as fixed.
Option 2. Update your BIOS.

Nevertheless: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) should be valid path even
when your BIOS do not see USB disk as HDD.

Regards,
Slobodan